Seen many problems with MHDD fasterase, so I reviewed the posts.
When I posted the step by step procedure I typed LOCK instead of PWD
in step 1 ( the other arre correct ) , I should not post after doing some hard work
(I have mixed-up on my mind the procedure of two different programs I use, call it habit)
I apologize for the inconvenience. Here is the CORRECT
procedure.0) Select correct port and - for security - check with EID that you are working with the RIGHT drive (will display drive model and SERIAL NUMBER!)
1) Issue PWD
2) MHDD will respond "Type USER pwd max 32sym (empty line for cancel)"
3) type a password es. 1234 and remember it.
4) Issue EID command to verify the locking. PWD will lit and the warning "drive is locked with ATA password" will appear
5) at this point issue FASTERASE
6) type the user password in this case 1234
7) wait a few seconds and MHDD will show "OK FASTERASE STARTED"... otherwise the entered PW is incorrect.
wait until BSY turns off. You can be warned with a beep issuing WAIT command (the pc wll beep when the drive is not busy anymore)
9) the drive is erased.
Most drives unlock automatically after fasterase, other have to be UNLOCKed (issue UNLOCK command and type user or master pwd.) then DISPWD.
Turn off then on the drive and you'll see the drive is not locked anymore.
FASTERASE uses internal security functions so is much faster than erasing the LBAs . It took me about 40 min. for a Maxtor 160GB. , may vary depending on brand and capacity.
NOTE : if you get "This drive does not support security features...." when you issue PWD, either the security features are turned OFF or the drive DOES NOT support at all the security features. Nothing to do in that case except ERASE .
NOTE#2 : I have experienced drives that refuse the FASTERASE command while the password locking works.