All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atola Vs PC3000
PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 1:48 

For some early birds who had a chance to try out Atola, any comments on how is this compared to PC3000?

Post subject: Re: Atola Vs PC3000
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2009, 12:00 

You cannot compare PC-3000 with Atola.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 2:40 

Why?

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 4:49 

I know Atola is more user friendly but why can't the features be compared ? After all, they are different tools with same purpose.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 8:24 

In fact I didn't get why the two products are not comparable : Insight has also other features - useful or not it will be the end user to judge - and is a relatively new product on the market (while on the contrary ACE built a generation of successively enhanced products) , but, agree with Meow, the purpose is the same : diagnose and eventually repair of firmware, and full HDD assembly diagnostic / imaging. Would be interesting to have both and make a comprehensive test drive like PC benchmark in the magazines... obviously with ponderate comparison. About the "user friendly" , it's more subjective : I still use some homemade tools that run on command line and I am happy with that, other people would work only on Windows based tools and so on... There are threads about this.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 9:34 

@BlackST; people who grew up with and are used to command-line tools have the advantage i believe :mrgreen:

Dobre

Datarecovery in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany
Datarecoverytools http://www.drtools.eu

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 10:26 

PC3K ist most probably out of its history a tool directed to technicians with deeper knowledge.
In its functionality it is very, very versatile - but a novice needs a lot of time.

Atola Insight is (in my understanding) directed to a different class of users - those who want to
have a tool with easy access to specific functions - whithout needing the background knowledge
No doubt its worth to have that knowledge, but there is a market out there for this tool.

And I bet Dmitry is implementing more and more features into this tool.

Dont like to judge ... I like to have both, Atola for quick tests, an overview, quick imaging,
I most probably undervalue some of its capabilities or functions, PC3K to learn and go deeper
into "the secrets" - and happy like a little child every time when I traced somethin new.

Its also a question of money - if you can afford it, then take both :lol:

+++

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 11:03 

I beleive Atola is in the beginning of the path
I hope it will be the great product
Dmitry's command doing great work

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2009, 1:55 

As I wrote in my previous post - see here: http://blog.atola.com

It will offer SATA connection for source PLUS target to be connected directly
to the unit. This is a portable unit - combined with a notebook or even a netbook.

Portability + speed + ease of use ...

But - wow - I am scared about the proposed price - have a look
and advise what you think about that....

+++
falther

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 11:11 

As I said you cannot compare these tools because Atola is product developed by one guy. pc3k has been developing more than 15 years as I remember and there is a lot of people who develop and improve this tool. I agree with Falther, pc3k tool is for digging into HDD :D Atola seems to be a tool which make a superficial work. Anyway Dmitriy is a genius man without doubt. But I cannot understand why the price is so high for this product???

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 13:18 

Well, the Atola does not do reverse imaging much to my chagrin. I received mine Saturday.

Without reverse imaging, I think it's going back.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 16:37 

RMR wrote:
Well, the Atola does not do reverse imaging much to my chagrin. I received mine Saturday.

You should check the Atola website to get the newest informations:

http://twitter.com/atola_insight

+++

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 21:56 

falther wrote:
RMR wrote:

You should check the Atola website to get the newest informations:

http://twitter.com/atola_insight

+++

I think it should be enough to go by what I was told the day I bought it, don't ya think!

It's great to see that it's coming, but I was not told about this and should have been. I shouldn't have to find my info from a twitter page either!

PostPosted: June 1st, 2009, 4:00 

I found this info easily - just check the Atola website to be up to date.

As one can read there:
Backwards imaging was included in a previous version of Insight.
Then, an update with a new and better imager didnt include the backwards
imaging function. Now it is anounced to be included in the coming new release.

What I would like to see implemented in this software:
- File recovery for FAT and Linux / Mac file systems
- the point [Prepare Destination] belongs logically to the device utilities
.. and I wonder - is it the highest erasure speed possible?
- exclude the system drive from the list of drives for possible erasure / filling
.. (I know there is a warning, but above would prohibit to choose the drive)
- disable to choose erasure of a hdd connected to Disk Sense allthough there
.. is no hdd connected

One can see - besides the first point - the rest is minor respectively "cosmetic"

+++
falther

PostPosted: June 1st, 2009, 5:06 

RMR
Regarding backwards imaging missing: I admit that this was one of our biggest mistakes; there was a lot of confusion going on about it and I have already apologized many times. If you need the reverse imaging, please use an older version (you can download all versions including the very first one. Please PM me if you do not know the URL for downloads).

PS. I have added a more obvious link to our Twitter page (it is now at the top right corner on Atola.com website)

Creator
Quote:
As I said you cannot compare these tools because Atola is product developed by one guy. pc3k has been developing more than 15 years as I remember and there is a lot of people who develop and improve this tool.

Just wanted to point out that we have much more than one guy working here at Atola :mrgreen:. I do respect the 15 year work of so many people, but I do not see why we (or someone else) cannot create an excellent data recovery tool?

falther
Thank you once again for your comments and suggestions! I will go over every item that you have mentioned and see what we can improve. I can comment on two things right away:

- File recovery for FAT and Linux / Mac file systems
File system recovery is under constant development. It will, however, take quite long time for us to develop FAT and other file systems support; file system recovery is probably one of the most complicated/challenging parts of the software.

.. and I wonder - is it the highest erasure speed possible?
Sure, you can just use the Security Erase; nothing can be faster than that. Simply lock the drive with some password and then use that same password to launch Security Erase. The drive will go into BUSY for a while (until it finishes erasing itself). If the process is interrupted, you will have to either retry the erase or unlock the drive with the password you used to initially lock it.

Alternatively, you can just plug the drive directly into the motherboard, and then use Insight to fill/erase it. This way you can reach maximum speed as well.

Also, with the latest release (1.3.5), you can select what you'd like to be written onto destination media when source encountered a read error. Therefore, there is little need of erasing hard drives prior to imaging.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2009, 13:19 

Would you possibly have an ETA for the return of reverse imaging?

I am imaging a drive right now. It's going to take 3-4 days. I did not expect this. It is faster than software, but I expected it to be much much faster than this.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 16:01 

I hope that the reverse imaging will make it to the next release. Usually, there's one release per month, but, unfortunately, at this time I do not have an exact ETA for the upcoming one (it could be approximately from one to three weeks).

Generally speaking, Atola Insight with USB DiskSense will copy data at approximately 2 GB per minute. If you could provide some more details on your specific situation and setup, then I will be able to provide comments/suggestions. If you'd prefer faster communication, then I would suggest contacting us via http://atola.com/contact-email

Thanks!

PostPosted: June 4th, 2009, 7:30 

I received the advertising from Atola. Jesse Goldstein wrote that they did the research and found out I use PC-3000. I think the research was looking at Ace web site at the customers page :D
Actually when somebody tells me that he is much better than Peter, the first thing I think is that he is not self-confident and tries to make Peter look not good to mislead me...
The product looks good but why a salesperson makes conclusions instead of me? I will make them myself.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2009, 15:11 

Jesse Goldstein here... Hello

You're right about my research: Go to Ace site > ctrl-C ... open spreadsheet . ctrl-V ... send Emails. :wink:

I'd like to comment that the Emails were only meant to make sure that all PC3000 users are aware of the Atola Insight. We don't mean to be overly aggressive promoting Dmitry's product.

The point we were trying to make in the Email is that the Insight is useful in addition to the PC3000 because different products have different strengths... not that ours is the best in the world. There's no point in us trying to make the PC3000 look bad because you already own one.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2009, 2:32 

I also received that sh*t email and I remember your old comparison PC300 vs Atola. Your marketing strategy is very agressive. I don't think this is good idea to compare those both products. I use PC3K and I understood that I really don't need Atola because I suppose PC3K has functions which Atola has too.
Jesse, please explain me detailed why Atola's price is SO HIGH?
As I know this is aroun 10'000 $. WHY???