All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Few things I see on the Atola
PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 17:28 

I have one of the Atola Ethernets here with me now. I find one thing on this that maybe it has to do with something in the program of the tool.

When a HDD is slow to come ready and takes longer than normal to come ready the tool reports this as a bad HDD and in diagnostic of this says there is a PCB problems on this drive.

I find this one is not true. Seems there is some sort of threshold on the progam that gives a certain amount of time to have a HDD come ready. If the HDD takes longer than normal to come ready the program reports this as a bad HDD.

I can move this HDD to another tool and give time for the HDD to come ready. It takes an extra long time for this drive to come ready but it will come ready if you leave it to do so. In this one I can then read the HDD ID and clone this drive.

Is it possible to try and set the allowed time for readiness longer in this progam to give the drives with this type of issue time to become ready before reporting them as bad drives or pcb problems on this one.

It does not relate to just one drive family or one drive type. It is any and all HDD that take an extra long period of time to come ready.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Few things I see on the Atola
PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 18:44 

Hello Ann,

Thank you for the feedback,

Can you please post a full diagnosis log where we can see the issue? Once we have it, we will be able to fix it.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 21:09 

This one is strange. I have here one Samsung and it takes almost 4 min to come ready. I can get it to come ready but not on Atola. It shows me all the time that the drive has a pcb issue. When in fact is not a pcb issue at all. It has to do with tons and tons of bad sectors on the HDD and takes a very long time to become ready. The Samsung has major bad sectors in this drive. They are not in any one pattern due to head damage and there is no clicking on the drive. This one has media damage on the disk and in areas in the cloning there are lots of non readable sectors.

I also have a Maxtor with same issue. There is some major platter damage on this one and at the beginning of the HDD. When it slightly clicks trying to read some of these sectors the Atola reports it as a defective drive and tells me it is PCB related. But this can not be true I have it cloned here to me now. Yes I have tons of errors on it but that was in the first 20% of the HDD. The last 80% of the HDD cloned with not one error at all.

I also have another drive that has MBR damage and Partition damage to the drive. This can not be handled and cloned by the tool either. I have a complete clone of this HDD now and had to do a raw recovery in order to get off data.

Then another example is a Samsung drive I have here. I know it has a bad head on it. I could not clone this with any other tool except the Atola. When it hit the head that was bad on this one it was able to over come this and give me the data off the remaining good heads.

I can attach again one of these problems drives I have indicated here and print you off the report. But the other ones are gone now from my shop and I no longer have access to them.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 14:39 

Ann,

Please feel free to send me the logs for all those drives (the ones that you still have). Once we have the logs, we can update the tool to work for such drives.