All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atola Insight Forensic vs Deepspar
PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 9:16 

With the new device from atola available. Has anyone been able to compare how well the Forensic Insight is able to recover data versus a device like Deepspar?

Post subject: Re: Atola Insight Forensic vs Deepspar
PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 9:24 

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30799&start=0#p213016

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 9:25 

Yeah that post was about the older Atola Insight

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 11:09 

I think the naming of their new tools says it all. They are moving away from data recovery and more toward the forensics realm. So I wouldn't expect much improvement in the imaging and data recovery aspects.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 11:34 

data-medics wrote:
I think the naming of their new tools says it all. They are moving away from data recovery and more toward the forensics realm. So I wouldn't expect much improvement in the imaging and data recovery aspects.

Yes and no at the same time. Forensic customers is our mainstream now. However, latest implemented Insight Forensic features are helpful for DR as well:

- Super-fast disk to disk imaging speed around 420 MB/s

- DiskSense Forensic unit includes powerful CPU inside, 4 SATA and 4 USB ports. That allows to run high-productive multi-tasking

- Permanent File Recovery improvements and performance optimizations, better integration with Imaging subsystem. Take a look at metadata imaging.

- We always work on unknown password recovery support for different HDD models. For instance, the next release (4.3) will be able to help you unlocking some specific Hitachi, Seagate and Toshiba models.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2015, 13:37 

Do Atola's tools share the same code base, and do they all share the same basic functionality? If support for a new family is added to one tool, will the other tools also be updated? How long before support for a product lapses, ie how long before a product is considered to be discontinued?

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 3:05 

Spildit wrote:
Hi !

What specific models of Seagate drives will the new update of Atola be able to unlock (and can't be unlocked with the current version) ?

Thanks.

At this point I can't promise you what exact models will be supported in the next release and will not be moved to the next one. We are working on that. You are the guy who definitely knows the complexity of such issues. I'm not really involved in R&D process and have no full information... what I exactly know about Seagates is that Insight Forensic 4.2 has problems with unlocking ST9160821AS and ST320LT007.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 3:31 

fzabkar wrote:
Do Atola's tools share the same code base, and do they all share the same basic functionality? If support for a new family is added to one tool, will the other tools also be updated? How long before support for a product lapses, ie how long before a product is considered to be discontinued?

We have been working over Insight 3.x and Insight Forensic 4.x in the distinct code branches. That's hugely important to receive higher stability of both products because it removes any possible influence between them. At the same time code migration from old Insight to new one and vice versa is pretty much easy, in particular, if we talk about HDD password recovery.

Pay attention old Atola Insight is approaching to its EOL date: Old Insight. So our R&D team will be became fully focused on Atola Insight Forensic since June.

Atola Insight 3.5 is expected to come out in the beginning of April.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 9:14 

If I could make the choice again I would suggest Deepspar. Insite started out as an all-in-one product destined to compete against pc3000. Lifetime support promises... The company changed direction and concentrated on the imaging aspect only. Updates changed to a charged basis. There is a path to upgrade but do I really want to keep digging this pit deeper? Looking at new Forensics units there are some great additions most notably in hardware, minor software. Sorry, but my trust is no longer high. June 1 2015 all the non-forensic versions cease development,support,repair. Still got to pay if you want that final version..... Buy the Deepspar. Get pc3000.... unless it is forensics.... but then thats an unrelated product.
all prior products killed at http://old-insight.atola.com if you want 'forensic' http://atola.com

PostPosted: March 26th, 2015, 9:51 

warnerr wrote:
... June 1 2015 all the non-forensic versions cease development,support,repair...

We should be more speficic about what will happen on June, 1. It's only about stopping software updates. Atola Insight support and repair services will still remain available according to the rules of the Lifetime Warranty.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2015, 7:45 

@warnerr

I disagree

I was one of Atolas first customer with a preorder in September/October 2008 for
the Atola Insight USB - a year later I upgraded to the Atola Insight Ethernet, which
I still use. Thats 7 respectively 6 years support for the tool - and - nobody stops you
to use it after coming May/June (2015) and I bet Atola will assist if any issues arise
- as long as spareparts are available.

At the beginning, Atola charged much higher subscription prices for software upgrades
for the time after the first year. Later the prices where dropped and Atola even included
hardware warranty (lifetime = as long as a subscription scheme is available and active)

The Atola tools are designed with an easy to use user interface for Windows. One does
not have to be a technician to get outstanding results with them, whereas all other fine
DR tools are especially made for DR technicians and their knowledge.

Even if you didnt pay the subscription for the last year - and want to have now the final
Insight version - you dont have to pay all the missed years - you pay only 1x the low one
years supscription price ($ 460.-) and have the newest version PLUS a one years warranty
for the tool !

If one used his tool for work and not as a toy, it has paid itself several times - and so its
a simple business decision whether the low special upgrade price to the new Insight Forensic
makes sense. This upgrade scheme even lets keep you the "old" unit for a difference of
US$ 1000.- .... and you can go on to use it - a fine DR + cloning tool for only $ 1000.- .... !

+++