All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: <<<<<<<<<<<SUGGESTIONS>>>>>>>>>>>>>
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2009, 23:37 

Feel free to add more if I left any off.

Hitachi Doctor:

1. Update always comes up when starting the program. Everyone knows nothing is being updated. Please turn it off or make it automatic.
2. Have to pull and resize the program to see all the features every time the program is run.
3. Put sa-a, sa-b, sa-c selection on update and backup modules page. It gets seriously annoying to page back and forth all the time.
4. If the read ram page has no value why include it? It’s a full page for one useless feature.
5. Wasted space on the self-scan page.
6. What is initialize DDD on the “Other Operations” page?
7. Still no ability to “select all” while viewing a module.
8. Does anyone use the “select database” feature?
9. Real hard drive registers would be more useful than busy, very busy, or error.
10. Ability to read data thru the USB to the computer.
11. No ability to select read head on UBA track feature.
12. Make a page for displaying all smart data.
13. Add a visual screen when scanning the hard drive for bad sectors like MHDD and Victoria.
14. Is the included serial terminal adapter ever going to be used?
15. Pay or contact someone to help with English translations in the program.
16. Add an indicator so that I know when the program is busy and doing something.

Seagate Doctor:

1. I like this interface over any other interface among the doctors.
2. Add hex locations to backup module page.
3. What does the “SA Scan and Repair” page actually repair? It’s never repaired anything so far.
4. What is FW CF Repair?
5. What is Safe Upload on the rom page? Is it used in safe-mode?
6. Make the “Boot Management” safe-mode into a single loading file.
7. The Hard Drive Management page needs a drop down menu for all the models. It’s just bloated useless space. A specialty for SD products.
8. Still no ability to “select all” while viewing a module.
9. Real hard drive registers would be more useful than busy, very busy, or error.
10. Ability to read data thru the USB to the computer.
11. Make a page for displaying all smart data.
12. Add a visual screen when scanning the hard drive for bad sectors like MHDD and Victoria.
13. Trips my Norton antivirus every time.
14. Pay or contact someone to help with English translations in the program.
15. Combine the U-Series into the main program.
16. Add an indicator so that I know when the program is busy and doing something.

Western Digital Doctor:

1. Still no ability to “select all” while viewing a module.
2. Does anyone use the “select database” feature?
3. Real hard drive registers would be more useful than busy, very busy, or error.
4. Ability to read data thru the USB to the computer.
5. Make a page for displaying all smart data.
6. Add a visual screen when scanning the hard drive for bad sectors like MHDD and Victoria.
7. Pay or contact someone to help with English translations in the program.
8. Add an indicator so that I know when the program is busy and doing something.
9. Get rid of all the extra space and add drop down menus where needed.
10. Add labels to critical modules (A,B,C,D) in “Backup” and “Update” pages. PC3000 does it.
11. The ROM page has been the most useless feature of the WD doctor. It’s great for corrupting ROMs or displaying the incorrect head map. I avoid it like the plague.
12. WD5000KS/YS support is non-existent.
13. Does not work with Raptor drives.
14. Included ROM reader seriously needs to be reengineered and added to the main program.

Maxtor Doctor:

1. Support for this product has all but disappeared. Reminds me of Power Data Extractor.
2. Still no ability to “select all” while viewing a module.
3. Real hard drive registers would be more useful than busy, very busy, or error.
4. Ability to read data thru the USB to the computer.
5. Make a page for displaying all smart data.
6. Add a visual screen when scanning the hard drive for bad sectors like MHDD and Victoria.
7. Add an indicator so that I know when the program is busy and doing something.

Post subject: Re: <<<<<<<<<<<SUGGESTIONS>>>>>>>>>>>>>
PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 10:52 

ThatDellGuy,

Nice....
I like the improvement feature recommendations. I would be very happy if the implement the majority of your suggestions.

Good work!!!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 10:58 

A new SD beta tester in the making ;)

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 13:32 

Yes, please do these things.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 18:16 

Forgot to add:

SD Forum:

1. Have at least one employee in the forum during business hours to answer questions. At present time the SD forum is a ghost town.
2. Open up a member ftp site for uploads and downloads of firmware and program updates. I might just do this on hddpros.com for free.
3. Redesign the forum categories so it’s easier to post and find stuff. It’s too cluttered.
4. Answer some posts once in awhile.
5. Get involved with your customers to find out how to better the tools.
6. This is how I would set up the SD forum.

<Western Digital Doctor>
.Manuals/Videos/Updates
..Questions
...Firmware Request

<Fujitsu>
.Manuals/Videos/Updates
..Questions
...Firmware Request

<Data Compass>
.Manuals/Videos/Updates
..Questions

<Maxtor Doctor>
.Manuals/Videos/Updates
..Questions
...Firmware Request

<Seagate Doctor>
.Manuals/Videos/Updates
..Questions
...Firmware Request

<Power Data Extractor>
.Manuals/Videos/Updates
..Questions

<Write Protect Device>
.Manuals/Videos/Updates
..Questions

<Platter Exchanger Tool>
.Manuals/Videos/Updates
..Questions

<Suggestions/Ideas>

The current layout is confusing and difficult to navigate. Half the categories have one post or less. Even though some tools are no longer being sold at least set aside a place on the forum for people with questions. Even though the SD forum is for members only I can still navigate the entire forum by using Google cache without an account. The forum lets any internet bot log on and search the entire site without a membership. Take PRIDE in your product by providing a better forum and tech support. I guarantee it will increase sales if current customers are happy.

My 2 cents....

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 18:23 

My 1 cent for SD:

Better to stop clonning/stealing technologies and start own researches...

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 19:45 

Hummmm....I though more people would chit chat about this topic....I guess everyone (EDIT: except the people above) who purchased SD's doctors are happy with all the problems...

Last edited by thatdellguy on April 8th, 2009, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 19:49 

You know where I stand , and it seems as SD isn't listening anyway. :cry:
But I think all your suggestions are good.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 11:37 

I have the SD products and dont use it :(

Maybe in a new version i could work with it.

If they put what some function are for, maybe it will be more help-full.

And a new layout off the program, i dont say to copy from ace but a different one, i see the atola format and looks very nice.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2009, 16:33 

If you're reading this and trying to make a decision on purchasing SD doctor products please contact me or another SD owner first. I can offer my truthful opinions on all the SD doctors and experiences with the SD forum and tech support. The sales people are great and friendly but in the end they are there to sell you their product anyway they can regardless if it solves your problem. I own all but DC and might save you some money and frustration. I hate dishonest lazy companies who claim a product does something but is completely useless. I promise to keep all received questions confidential and private.

support@hddpros.com

PostPosted: April 14th, 2009, 13:32 

I would say that I have generally been able to get them to work to do most things but that for now PC3K is just an order of magnitude beyond in terms of functionality, usability, (and also price). They could easily do some work and get their quality up there but they just don't. The free updates are nice however and they at least seem to be staying on top of most new developments, like 7200.11 issues, ROYL ROM reconstruction, etc.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 6:32 

If you own SD products and are having the same issues as I am please take a few seconds to post something. Don't just read this post and live with it. If enough people complain SD will eventually attempt to fix it.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 14:54 

It is not only that. If you have never used this product before and have gotten it the manuals that come with it are not worth the paper or the ink you waste to print them out.

IBM program is non readable even after playing with screen resolution. It is a mess to try and read. Who needs a bear on the program. Can he help fix the drive. What they need is good instruction like ACE gives on how this thing works and when you do receive error codes how what they mean in that thing.

Normally you have to always contact the peple there and they do have good tech support when you can find them and they can enter into your system to fix the drive problem. But they have never been successful in doing this one for me. Had a load of Maxtor all with firmware problems and they loaded the firmware and then told me it was not a good version and to try and find more. Firmware is non existant for these products, or if it is people will not share it to try and make them work. I think that is a great deal of these problems is they work with factory commands which are never supplied to make them work and only they know these commands and how to use this thing. They are not willing to tell you what they are and how to make these work at all. Maxtor has a function to repair the SA-A with SA-C but believe me I would not recommand this option. They had me do this to repair a bad firmware problem and then the drive will not come back. It is showing a different drive name than when it first started out. You can no longer get the drive back to the original name but it will show a good serial number and LBA but now the drive is useless. I was able to use ACE to correct this problem. Found out that the drive had over written itself with good sectors on bad sectors and this had caused the problem. With the pc3k it was possible to get the drive back to factory name correctly, load the firmware, and clone the drive but not with the procedure they had me do with the Maxtor HD Doctor. When it started out I had drive name, serial number but no LBA. After I had a mess. Here most of the drives that do come in for repair are Maxtor, some Seagate not many at all, WD is a big thing here now, IBM is very rare, Notebooks is a big one. We have a lot of very old drives here and the new ones that are coming to the island are all SATA drives now and most of them if not all are WD,

That is all that I can tell you about this. Hope that might help some.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 15:19 

Everything in life has a purpose this one must have one too. Just trying to figure out which purpose and how for the moment. It was gotten for me to use and need to figure out that purpose and where it fits into for DR recovery that is all

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 16:12 

I know that PC3K is expensive to some people. To me it's worth every penny and we may upgrade to the new version shortly. I would like it if the competition would at least put forth an effort to get my dollar. At present time they are just painful to use. Given their current trend of produce, gloat, and forget, DC probably has about a year or two before SD moves on to bigger and greener fields. I'm just trying to stimulate conversation on the topic with users who would like just a little more quality. Some of the suggestions above have been requested for over a year now and would cost very little to implement.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 16:27 

Yes you are right. If they did do the improvements that you have suggested to these programs then it would make the machine a good price for the money. Maybe instead of going to them for these improvements you should try their associated in the UK and work through them. Seems they have a better manual with lots of photos and descriptions and working functions for these doctors. I think maybe if we knew how to translate all this to Chineese maybe someone there would read it. Think they use a translator program when making these machines and to them makes a lot of sence because they make them in Chineese for them to use and not in English for the rest of the world to use. You need to find the right people to complain to and not forums and the sales reps that sell these products. If you can get past the Techs and Reps and to the RD section maybe then someone will hear what you are saying and do something about it. Also if everyone who has these devices starts to write a number of complaint letters and floods them with them on a daily basis and includes your list of problems then and only then they might do something to improve their product. Also if you suggest that you want your money back because of this and no response in fixing problem then they might open their eyes and work quickly on fixing all this for everyone to use and give them back a good name and sell more in the end.

Don't know it is worth a try. Everyone that has this start to write to them and continue to forward the same letter off each day two or three times a day meybe they will get tired of all the letters and do something to improve their program.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 8:33 

hi thatdellguy,
about your questions on some feature on the doctors i hope this can help users:
hitachi:
6. What is initialize DDD on the “Other Operations” page?

as i know on hitachi drives you can run selftest only few times clearing DDD log (if full) you can run again selftest.

seagate
4. What is FW CF Repair?

is common fault reapair theorically (i normally prefer cmd mode manual repair) works for typical errors like overlay errors (ata module), stuff unreadable...

about you post i can say i really apreciate it and i agree with the ideas you wrote down.
i also add that would be nice to have all the doctors software with the same graphic interface with diferent skin color only.
bye

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 10:19 

These functions are basically useless without documentation of everything that they do. There's no way I'm going to press a mystery button and hope that it fixes something.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 10:58 

I agree with drccsc at least a tooltip when hovering over a button indicating what it does would be od some help.

https://www.mjm.co.uk/

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 20:51 

I think that SD is trying to have suggestions now because they are stating to contact people asking them questions about their material. I think if you can get a hold of the right person they might listen to you. I know the Web forum is out but if you can contact direct to them maybe MSN or find out who is R&D there this might get through to them. I am not sure if what they say is true to pass on this to developers for corrections but all that you are saying is very true. At least with ACE you have plenty of documentation to work with and options to choose from in the repair of the drives. The only options you have here if you do not understand how these work is to work via team viewer and sit back and watch what they do to repair the drives for you. But still this will not answer all the questions and help much afterwards. Maybe try to go to there partners in UK and see if you can get through to them this way. I still feel if everyone who has these problems keeps telling them about all this then sooner or later in order to keep up and compete in this market they are going to have to do something to fix all this if they expect more people to buy from them.