All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Firmware problem after head stack replacement
PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 10:31 

I changed the head stack of a 2.5" hard drive and then when i connected to Data Compass still not recognized. Can firmware problems appear after a head stack replacement? because in HD Doctor por Hitachi i couldn't load from HDD correctly but i could read firmware.

So now i don't exactly what is happening

Post subject: Re: Firmware problem after head stack replacement
PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 13:14 

What was the fisrt problem of the drive?
Why did you change heads?

PostPosted: August 21st, 2013, 17:25 

well,
the disk had an error in data compass when i connected and also hd doctor.
I changed heads and now the disk do the same and hd doctor can read part of the firmware.

Anyway if it's firmware can i simply upload the donor firmware to the pacient and it's going to work?

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 0:55 

its more likely your headstack was fine and it was pointing to the pcb board firmware

did you not do a oscilloscope check on the head to see if there was any data on there ??????

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 12:20 

gacpac wrote:
well,
the disk had an error in data compass when i connected and also hd doctor.
I changed heads and now the disk do the same and hd doctor can read part of the firmware.

Anyway if it's firmware can i simply upload the donor firmware to the pacient and it's going to work?

These are the worst posts! You clearly have no idea what your doing, diagnosis needs to be accurate and any repair attempts need to be viable and realistic.

Buying (cheap and nasty!) recovery tools does not instantly make you a recovery expert, nor does it make it OK to experiment and practice on clients media, this is irresponsible and very unfair on the client.

It is situations like this that give the industry a bad name.

Outsource it and stick to logical stuff...

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 12:38 

This is my own hard drive bi**h and i''m learning, and if you are not going to say something useful don't talk.

I'm only asking for a few tips because this is the first case i had this situation.

Oh by the way how did you learned without practicing... (:

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 13:00 

Well i really didn't check with an oscilloscope. i don't have really a lot experience on firmware so if it's this kind of problem what is first thing i could do because i have the donor firmware from a the donor hard drive and i know that isn't as simple as uploading it back

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 3:25 

gacpac wrote:
This is my own hard drive bi**h and i''m learning,

Oh well, another one with a bad attitude.
Listen, if you need help you have to know how to ask for it.

With this kind of attitude you just ruined your chances of getting help in here.

By the way, hddguy's advice was totally correct. You have no idea what you're doing.

gacpac wrote:
this is the first case i had this situation.

This indicates that you're taking cases which means that you mess with other people's data.

Bye.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 4:02 

gacpac wrote:
This is my own hard drive bi**h and i''m learning, and if you are not going to say something useful don't talk.

I'm only asking for a few tips because this is the first case i had this situation.

Oh by the way how did you learned without practicing... (:

Its your own hard drive, yet this is the first 'case' you had like this, and you own data compass and hd doctor?

I really hope it is your own drive, the thought of you working on someones important data is pretty scary.

Good luck, you will need it ...

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 11:27 

What i'm doing is using my own hard drive because it's one that can use without consequences. it's not good practice with hard drive that isn't yours if you can understand this. And i answered the other guy like that because i'm asking because i don't know. If i knew about this stuff i would not be asking.

i can resolve a lot things with Data Compass because it's easy but firmware is not as easy even reading the manuals, and if you don't want to help just answer i will help you do it by your own. This a is forum for help to ask and answer and share thoughts

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2013, 11:56 

gacpac wrote:
And i answered the other guy like that because i'm asking because i don't know. If i knew about this stuff i would not be asking.

You bought HD Doctor, Data Compass, have experienced other recovery cases but this is the "first case i had this situation" suggesting you have worked on other cases of HDD failure.

How can you expect anyone to believe this is your own drive? Maybe it is and if so I apologize, but for me it seems pretty unlikely...

If you want answers, you need to provide information that is actually relevant:

What were the symptoms originally? Does it passport ok? After you change the heads, does its behavior change? What status registers are displayed? Did you check PCB is native and functional? Can you read NVRAM from the PCB?

Give some relative information and im sure you will get a realistic response. But not from me, you can get the info you need from some other "bi**h" :lol:

PostPosted: September 5th, 2013, 11:38 

Okay, the most cases i resolve is imaging drives with Data Compass and some problems from firmware i repair with one click repair and stuff.

The symptoms of the drive is in Data Compass shows Error and drive is not detected.

As i had some cases from drives with bad heads without the clicking noise, i changed heads. So now, the drive is doing the same but i can read a little more in the HD Doctor. i can read nvram and i can read part of the firmware. The drive is not detected as it should be (Model number, firmware version, etc)

I have a firmware from the donor and i've read that you cannot just upload the firmware from donor, i don't wanna do a mess so if can someone push me a little bit.

The idea of this is that i repair my own drive and have this experience to then use the drives from the clients.

Last bumped by gacpac on September 5th, 2013, 11:38.