All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Training
PostPosted: July 31st, 2011, 14:40 

I do not think it will be out of place if training video clips are made available to clients of SalvationData. Most of us might not afford to attend training courses at their HQ. In such situation, Video clips of such trainings can be equally be sourced with some token from Salvationdata. 8) 8) 8)

Post subject: Re: Training
PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 6:45 

I think it would be more benefit to watch DIY on youtube than to watch any videos by SD... :roll:

PostPosted: February 16th, 2020, 4:43 

Dear All,

Need support to get Basic notes for SeDiv 5.3. Few I have found but all are in Russian, honestly speaking its very hard for me to follow and even register myself on their forum to seek help and support.

Regards,

PostPosted: April 20th, 2020, 16:51 

You can also get the old manuals here for a very cheap price now. http://9to5workonline.com/ebook-downloads/

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 16:08 

poehere wrote:
You can also get the old manuals here for a very cheap price now. http://9to5workonline.com/ebook-downloads/

Would you consider showing us a page or two from your books so that we could get some idea as to what we are buying?

I bought Scott Moulton's "data recovery" book, only to find that I could have got better value for my money at MacDonalds. BTW, your free guides are very useful. Thanks.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 18:38 

fzabkar wrote:
poehere wrote:
I bought Scott Moulton's "data recovery" book, only to find that I could have got better value for my money at MacDonalds. BTW, your free guides are very useful. Thanks.

You clearly did not read what you were buying as the description was very clear. That book that is online is the material for the Infosec Institute class version 1.0 from 2007 that is only powerpoints and has no material it in, which is the class Infosec is still selling. That is why I no longer work with them, they are not updating the class.

Currently the book is version 19 and is over 1250 pages and has text on each page, describing process and content, and it is only available with a class and 55 hours of video/training hands on with the tools. If you want to disparage anyone, go to Infosec Institute. I however have put my heart and soul into my class and spend the time hands on with everyone in the class to make sure they can do the processes.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 4:19 

fzabkar wrote:
poehere wrote:

Would you consider showing us a page or two from your books so that we could get some idea as to what we are buying?

Look the books were written back in 2009 for a tool that is no longer sold on the market today. The last update on the books was 2011. You took the free training material and in the books, you will get the same information as this. I would not recommend the books if you do not own these tools at all. If you want to invest the $5.50 for the book take the appendix of each book only because the operation portion is only about the tools. For the cheap price, I sell these books as-is and I do not give out free samples at all. They are as is and like I did say the material is old and outdated like this training material that you downloaded. I handled this out because people were asking for help and this was one way to help them during the lockdown period around the world.

Sorry to be rude but at times I feel like I work for a food bank but instead it is a DR bank were everyone I meet gives me a sob story, claims they are new, and wants it all for free. Then they turn around and laugh behind your back as they copy your material, make classes, or sell it behind your back to make a profit from your work. I have take4n on a bit of a hardcore attitude by now refusing people and telling them NO. I gave what I gave and this is all I am giving.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 5:47 

That's why i sort of do not give out valuable info at least only to trusted partners. If somebody wants to learn himself/herself into DR, please pay its price in both time and money. This would also prevent shit prices on the market. One would not sell $100 dr service if he have had to invest a lot of time and money into it. It's not about robbing our clients but this service cannot cost $100 unless seriously violating IP. Which is not a huge problem for most people but it is to anyone who ever invested lot of time into research and programming.
Not to mention that the info in those manuals are very basic, it is highly probable the people having that level of knowledge will not be able to cope with cases with immediate level of complexity, they will only screw them up for good.

pepe

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 9:33 

poehere wrote:
fzabkar wrote:
poehere wrote:

Look the books were written back in 2009 for a tool that is no longer sold on the market today. The last update on the books was 2011. You took the free training material and in the books, you will get the same information as this. I would not recommend the books if you do not own these tools at all. If you want to invest the $5.50 for the book take the appendix of each book only because the operation portion is only about the tools. For the cheap price, I sell these books as-is and I do not give out free samples at all. They are as is and like I did say the material is old and outdated like this training material that you downloaded. I handled this out because people were asking for help and this was one way to help them during the lockdown period around the world.

Sorry to be rude but at times I feel like I work for a food bank but instead it is a DR bank were everyone I meet gives me a sob story, claims they are new, and wants it all for free. Then they turn around and laugh behind your back as they copy your material, make classes, or sell it behind your back to make a profit from your work. I have take4n on a bit of a hardcore attitude by now refusing people and telling them NO. I gave what I gave and this is all I am giving.

Man, All this sounds so familiar. And on top of that the I've never heard so many people complain about things they got for free or next to nothing. None of these people seem to have any idea how much work it takes and how long it takes to make material. Just because you can write down a blog post in 10 mins does not mean you can produce a week long training course. Also this material might NOT be for you! If you know something and you don't like this, then skip it. There are people out there that don't know, and want to know and for someone this is new material. There are a lot of people starting out, so if you are not then this MATERIAL IS NOT FOR YOU. Move on. But really, I dont care if you want to waste your time ripping on me, obviously if you have time to do that, you don't have time to do it for real yourself. There will alway be someone who will appreciate what we have done, even if you don't. If you are not part of the solution then don't be part of the problem.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 13:59 

pepe wrote:
That's why i sort of do not give out valuable info at least only to trusted partners. If somebody wants to learn himself/herself into DR, please pay its price in both time and money. This would also prevent shit prices on the market. One would not sell $100 dr service if he have had to invest a lot of time and money into it. It's not about robbing our clients but this service cannot cost $100 unless seriously violating IP. Which is not a huge problem for most people but it is to anyone who ever invested lot of time into research and programming.
Not to mention that the info in those manuals are very basic, it is highly probable the people having that level of knowledge will not be able to cope with cases with immediate level of complexity, they will only screw them up for good.

pepe

You are so right Pepe. The books were written to teach people how to run the old tools from SD. The sections in the book were a breakdown of the function of the tool and told what each function did and showed the person how the tool actually worked. The older books were to teach people how to master the tools so they could go on and learn how to recover the hard drives by working on older test drives first to get the experience needed so they could move on to customers drives. The training material handed out were course outlines for the class. Anyone taking a training class will not get advanced training they will only get a class that teaches them the basics and in the end, leaves them with 1000s of questions more on how to actually do the work. What I have found out is that people want all this old stuff so that they can revise it now, make worthless training videos on YouTube and then write up books from the information they have stolen and sell them off as their own. I ran across a company in India that was offering stay at home DR training class to teach people Dr for guess what $6 or 499 Rs.

I have been compiling all of my old case notes in two books one for WD and one for Seagate for the past few years. Last year people were after me to release a new book so I decided to write one up for Seagate based on the case studies I have done. I only did the book using terminal commands so the book could be used by any tool on the market and it was not for one tool or tool sensitive. I did the same for WD from my old cases. But in the end, the solutions are there but if you do not understand why you use this command and not another one is not there and it turns out, in the end, to be the same as a one-button fix it all solution. I tried to tell people the solutions are there but you need to really learn terminal commands and how to read the terminal output in order to make sure you are applying the right solution to fix the drive otherwise you can destroy the data forever. One time I asked a very simple question What is the terminal command to display all non-zero counter values?. Nobody could answer me. Saying this it proves people do not take the time to use old drives and study the terminal commands before working on a client's drive.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 15:32 

Quote:
command to display all non-zero counter values

LOL, that's something everybody should know... :)
but i have no idea which command does that :)

pepe

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 16:21 

poehere wrote:
The books were written to teach people how to run the old tools from SD. The sections in the book were a breakdown of the function of the tool and told what each function did and showed the person how the tool actually worked. The older books were to teach people how to master the tools so they could go on and learn how to recover the hard drives by working on older test drives first to get the experience needed so they could move on to customers drives. The training material handed out were course outlines for the class. Anyone taking a training class will not get advanced training they will only get a class that teaches them the basics and in the end, leaves them with 1000s of questions more on how to actually do the work. What I have found out is that people want all this old stuff so that they can revise it now, make worthless training videos on YouTube and then write up books from the information they have stolen and sell them off as their own. I ran across a company in India that was offering stay at home DR training class to teach people Dr for guess what $6 or 499 Rs.

I have been compiling all of my old case notes in two books one for WD and one for Seagate for the past few years. Last year people were after me to release a new book so I decided to write one up for Seagate based on the case studies I have done. I only did the book using terminal commands so the book could be used by any tool on the market and it was not for one tool or tool sensitive. I did the same for WD from my old cases. But in the end, the solutions are there but if you do not understand why you use this command and not another one is not there and it turns out, in the end, to be the same as a one-button fix it all solution. I tried to tell people the solutions are there but you need to really learn terminal commands and how to read the terminal output in order to make sure you are applying the right solution to fix the drive otherwise you can destroy the data forever. One time I asked a very simple question What is the terminal command to display all non-zero counter values?. Nobody could answer me. Saying this it proves people do not take the time to use old drives and study the terminal commands before working on a client's drive.

I'm not asking you to give me a free book. All I'm asking is for you to allay my concerns that I'm not just buying an SD manual that has been translated from Chinglish to English. That's the implication, at least for your "old books". Once bitten, twice shy.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 1:07 

Like I have said once and will say again the books are outdated and of no value at all to anyone who does not own these old tools. The tools work if you own the old programs that were written for them. Other than this the material is old and outdated and I personally don't see how they can help you at all. That is the main reason the price of books is now $5.50. The free material you took was part of my course outline and I did not hand out the training material for the tools. it is not necessary to get that. If you want the books, buy them. I did not translate the books from Chinese to English and sell them. I wrote my own books to go into detail about how the tools work to help anyone who bought them figure them out. If you had these tools and saw the crap they did then you would know why so many people bought my books. It took me forever to figure out these tools with the crappy documents they gave people to use. That was one reason I wrote a book to teach people how to use these tools. BTW if you don't have the manuals from ACE and you have not found some online then I'll tell you about them. ACE is just as bad about writing a manual to understand their tools. It jumps from one place to another to another and in the end, you are lost inside this maze of a book they hand out and asking yourself why they did not do it in simple English so people could figure out how to run their tool. No, I did not sell any manuals for ACE but I did spend my time decoding their book and put it together so it was super simple to figure out their tool and use it. Too bad some of my very old and I mean old hard drives got destroyed and I can no longer access some of the tools that I had before and a few of them I wrote. The tool from ACE is the best compared to some of he other tools on the market today. It is just a shame the manuals are so hard to read to work with this tool. There is a much easier way to write a book for tools than companies write. I started back in 1979 writing training manual for the government and wrote my books so people could follow the procedures and understand how to do the work they needed to do. I have not found a company manual that comes with a piece of equipment written so a person can understand how it works. I understand how the material works but there are a lot of people out there that don't. Enough said. I no longer update the books or even promote them. They are there if people want them and if they don't I don't care.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 17:38 

scottamoulton wrote:
fzabkar wrote:
poehere wrote:

You clearly did not read what you were buying as the description was very clear. That book that is online is the material for the Infosec Institute class version 1.0 from 2007 that is only powerpoints and has no material it in, which is the class Infosec is still selling.

According to the date stamp on the PDF, I bought your "book" in 2010 from your store. The only record I can find dates back to Nov 2011.

http://web.archive.org/web/20111113184148/http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/smoulton
http://web.archive.org/web/20111113184148/http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/data-recovery-class-bw-version/17570311?productTrackingContext=author_spotlight_70992_

Quote:
This is a COLOR book is detailed slides for a Class on Forensics & Data Recovery taught by Scott A. Moulton from Forensic Strategy Services. There is a lot of details in these slides with hundreds of pages of techniques on how to do data recovery and forensics

There were no "details" of any note, at least not to me, and I would argue that none of the information would have helped in any substantial way in any data recovery attempt. I certainly didn't find "hundreds of pages of techniques", just basic references.

If the product had been correctly described as just a bunch of PowerPoint slides with notes in point form (not "details"), then I wouldn't have been misled into buying it. In any case, is it ethical to ask people to pay for a course outline? Such a document is essentially just promotional material and would normally be freely available.

BTW, here is the "HARDBACK edition" of the same PDF:

http://web.archive.org/web/20111113184148/http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/data-recovery-class-bw-hardback-book/17557785?productTrackingContext=author_spotlight_70992_

Was anyone stupid enough to buy this "hardback" version ($15 versus $8.75)?

BTW, there was no mention of InfoSec, either in the "book" or at the store. If there had been, then I would have downloaded the entire unabridged course material from InfoSec's web site.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 6:26 

scottamoulton wrote:
Man, All this sounds so familiar. And on top of that the I've never heard so many people complain about things they got for free or next to nothing. None of these people seem to have any idea how much work it takes and how long it takes to make material. Just because you can write down a blog post in 10 mins does not mean you can produce a week long training course. Also this material might NOT be for you! If you know something and you don't like this, then skip it. There are people out there that don't know, and want to know and for someone this is new material. There are a lot of people starting out, so if you are not then this MATERIAL IS NOT FOR YOU. Move on. But really, I dont care if you want to waste your time ripping on me, obviously if you have time to do that, you don't have time to do it for real yourself. There will alway be someone who will appreciate what we have done, even if you don't. If you are not part of the solution then don't be part of the problem.

Hey Scott. I was amazed when I found your content and that you provide so much of it for free. I for one thoroughly enjoyed watching it! The only thing I miss are the parts you muted, haha.