All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HddSurgery Seagate 7200.11 read/write head change tool
PostPosted: December 8th, 2010, 9:17 

The following user guide will give step-by-step instructions on how to change read/write heads with HddSurgery Seagate 7200.11 read/write head change tools.
More details can be found on site http://www.hddsurgery.com

HddSurgery™ Seagate 7200.11 head change tools

Seagate hard drives belong in the category of disks that "park heads" above the magnetic platters.
That way of functioning implies that, in a situation when the drive is powered off, heads are located on the surface that has no sensitive magnetic material. This allows drive to start the motor to the required speed.
The purpose of Seagate 7200.11 head change tools is to enable safe heads passage over the "data" area above platters surface, and to provide non-contact transfer to patient disc.
HddSurgery Seagate 7200.11 head change tools are tools made for safe and easy read/write head change on Seagate LP , Seagate 7200.11, Seagate 7200.ES, Seagate ES.2 SATA drives with 2 platters and Seagate 7200.12, Seagate 7200.11, Seagate 7200.ES, Seagate ES.2 SATA drives with 3 or 4 platters. It was needed to have two tools for these families of Seagate drives because of different design. HddSurgery Seagate 7200.11.2 head change tool and HddSurgery Seagate 7200.11.4 head change tool. The example of 7200.11.4 series tool is explained here. For the case of 7200.11.2 apply the same procedure.
During the whole procedure of head change heads and platters do not have contact. Read-write heads are lifted over NON-data area and safely guided over the platters. In process of installing back the donor head same procedures needs to be done. Heads are guided over platters with no contact and safely deployed in non-data area.

Supported models for HddSurgery™ Seagate 7200.11 head change tools

Seagate 7200.11.2 head change tool
(2 platters)

SATA

ST3640323AS, ST3640623AS, ST3500320AS, ST3500620AS, ST3500820AS, ST31000528AS, ST3750528AS, ST31000520AS

ES.2 SATA

ST3500320NS

ES.2 SAS

ST3500620SS

Seagate 7200.11.4 head change tool
(3 and 4 platters)

SATA

ST31500341AS, ST31000340AS, ST31000640AS, ST31000333AS, ST3750330AS, ST3750630AS, ST32000542AS, ST31500541AS, ST32000641AS

ES.2 SATA

ST31000340NS, ST3750330NS

ES.2 SAS

ST31000640SS, ST3750630SS, ST3500620SS

Head replacement process (9 steps)

Step 1. Mounting the tool on actuator arms

Remove screws holding flat cable contact and with a finger push contact from the bottom upwards to release it. The pressure from below may cause flat cable contacts to pop out and possibly damage platters, so hold firmly top of a flat cable contact with another hand while pushing related plastic. Before applying pressure remove screws from their holes.
Carefully center the tool over the center hole of the hard disc head. Take care that the notch on the bottom of the tool coincides with the commas in the actuator arm base. Take the screw of actuator axis and insert it into the intended hole on the tool. Tighten the screw with the screwdriver to perform tool installation.

With your right hand make sure that the tool shank with snouts remains in the area outside of the platters.
!!! IMPORTANT !!!
Be sure to tighten the screw in order to ensure good contact and proper tool height.

Step 2. Lifting the heads

By horizontally moving tool shank we slide the tool over platters. Construction of tools enables heads to lift on tool snouts by relatively small force. If you feel that the necessary force is greater than the expected, check tool positions and possible damage to the HDA assembly. Push the tool as far as limiter is allowing.

Step 3. Securing the tool

The tool has a hole at its edge, which coincides with the hole in the head. The leftmost position is necessary to ensure the bound between tool and actuator arm. Securing is being done with the securing pin.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!
If the connection of tool and actuator arms is not properly engaged, heads slipping is possible during disassembling.

Step 4. Moving the tool outside of platters area

By vertical scrolling move the tool (previously secured by pin) to the initial position.

Step 5. Dismounting the heads

From the bottom side of hard disk unscrew the screw of actuator axis to dismount actuator arm with read/write heads. Hold the tool with one hand because of the possibly contact with the platters.

Step 6. Mounting the heads in a new drive

Place the tool with actuator arm to its place in new hard disk. Screw the arm from the bottom side of the hard disk. Tighten the upper axis screw too, just in case it got loosen up during the manipulation. This operation is necessary because of possible changes in height!

By horizontal force return the head back towards the central section of the platters.

Step 7. Removing the pin

Carefully remove the securing pin when heads are above the parking zone.

Step 8. Removing the tool outside of platters

Horizontally push tool shank with a finger to return the tool outside of platters.

!!! IMPORTANT !!!
With another hand hold back side of head arm (magnetic coil) to prevent
heads from moving.

Step 9. Dismounting the tool

Takeout the screw and remove the tool. While loosening use the assisting tool to make counter force.

Put the lid back and close the disc. Put pcb back and clone the drive.

Thank you for your interest in HddSurgery data recovery tools and processes.
More details and complete offer of HddSurgery data recovery tools can be found on site http://www.hddsurgery.com

Post subject: Re: HddSurgery Seagate 7200.11 read/write head change tool
PostPosted: December 9th, 2010, 15:32 

I've bought it, great tool, very professional, congratulations Nikola!

PostPosted: December 9th, 2010, 15:38 

thank You

PostPosted: December 9th, 2010, 16:56 

Nice tool Nikola very professional and very well designed.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2010, 9:59 

Recently purchased one of these...........Fantastic tool, Precision made, and it works like a charm.

Well done guys...

"If it's your only copy - then it's not a backup!"

PostPosted: December 15th, 2010, 15:15 

Thank You guys, we will try to push it more. We are working on solution for ball bearing fix on segatae drives withouth head change even, We think we got it working but we need few more to test. We are looking for seagates with motor stuck. Anybody has them we will pay all costs.
Thanks

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 7:16 

I am very sorry but i think that the price you would like for this tools (USD500) is usury.
You have only to rebuild an existing tool, with some design changes. and now you would like 500USD for an item with material costs of 0,15euro cent?

Very strange!

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 7:22 

i forgot to write:
from this company you get the tools for 20usd Shenzhen Speed Electronic Ltd.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 7:35 

impressive tools, easy to use...

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 7:38 

The materials to build a tool are pretty much 0 factor in the cost of getting to the stage of providing it for sale. Also how do you expect a company to keep providing new tools, with the research, testing, manufacturing etc... if they don't make a profit?
What about support channels.. it all needs to be paid for by the sale of the tools.

books cost cents in paper..
CDs cost cents to make..

surely you haven't thought very deep about your post.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 9:39 

muru11 wrote:
i forgot to write:

Care to share a link to the specific product page? I can only find H**C type head replacement tools.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 12:46 

if there was a good tool for that much we would not be making it. We would buy tool and use it in our DR work.We made these tools for us because we could not find them.
It is Chrismass time but there are no wonders....we would all like that some guy there is making tools that are fantastic for 20 USD. Buy me a few sets, much easer then to spend years on development.
Happy New Year and all the best to all of you.
Nikola
btw: it is always to spit on someone. everyone is smart behind IP adress

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 14:08 

Well I thought long and hard about providing these links. I don't do internal hard disk repair, so I cant comment on how good these are. I really hope all the positive comments for the tools by helpdisc are taken into account and I make clear again, I provide these links only because they were asked for.
I seriously doubt they would be worth the time even looking at the page and anyone serious about hard disk repair wouldn't have any use for them.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/848287506/latest_full_set_hard_disk_opening.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/848275251/latest_hard_disk_opening_tool_set.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/848275338/96pcs_set_HDD_hard_disk_opening.html

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 14:18 

HaQue wrote:
Well I thought long and hard about providing these links. I don't do internal hard disk repair, so I cant comment on how good these are. I really hope all the positive comments for the tools by helpdisc are taken into account and I make clear again, I provide these links only because they were asked for.
I seriously doubt they would be worth the time even looking at the page and anyone serious about hard disk repair wouldn't have any use for them.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/848287506/latest_full_set_hard_disk_opening.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/848275251/latest_hard_disk_opening_tool_set.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/848275338/96pcs_set_HDD_hard_disk_opening.html

These are not the same tools as those being manufactured by hddsurgery. The reference to this site was suggesting that the same hddsurgery tools were on this site for a fraction of the price. If you are comparing SD or HDRC head tool prices to this site, then it makes sense.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 14:21 

lcoughey wrote:
muru11 wrote:
i forgot to write:

Care to share a link to the specific product page? I can only find H**C type head replacement tools.

look what the man wrote....

'' I can only find H**C type head replacement tools ''

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 23:57 

Im sorry, as I said I don't do internals, and I don't know the specifics. To me, the tools look like they are intended to do the same job, and I though that muru11 was saying that there are tools that do the same job out there very cheap, not helpdisc's specific brand..
additionaly, as Im not a pro like most of you, H**C doesn't mean anything to me.

nice to know though, that I can get tools for $20 and become a pro as well, as I am sure the manuals would be great and don't need the years of training and research.. That is a joke by the way for any non-English people that may find it hard to translate the attempt at humour!

happy new year everyone!

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 7:25 

Comparing HddSurgery tools with HD** and SD tools, is like comparing a Ferrari with a Skateboard.

Yeah they can both roll...

You can always use the skateboard, but no thanks, I'll use the Ferrari. I like the airbags :mrgreen: