All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Data Recovery Partner In United State
PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 5:10 

I looking for someone local in the USA who can fix the internal physical issue with the drive. Basically get it working so I can do the imaging and data recovery. I'm hoping to get some with a flat rate to help me give a better quote to my clients.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Looking for Data Recovery Partner In United State
PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 10:46 

rsarceno wrote:
Basically get it working so I can do the imaging and data recovery.

This is sometimes the most difficult part of the recovery process. You are sure you have suitable equipment & knowledge to maintain stability during image / recovery? Or to make additional repairs if something were to go wrong with it? If you were to outsource a case for repair and upon recieving it back cannot get a complete copy of it would this count as a success or failure for your partner?

Personally I believe this scenario will not work...

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 11:54 

hddguy wrote:
rsarceno wrote:
Basically get it working so I can do the imaging and data recovery.

This is sometimes the most difficult part of the recovery process. You are sure you have suitable equipment & knowledge to maintain stability during image / recovery? Or to make additional repairs if something were to go wrong with it? If you were to outsource a case for repair and upon recieving it back cannot get a complete copy of it would this count as a success or failure for your partner?

Personally I believe this scenario will not work...

I agree. If you outsource to just get the drive working then you will need to pay them as they would have done as you asked. If you then cant get the data off you couldnt really charge the customer for no data & you will be out of pocket.

As said before best option is to outsource this type of job for the complete recovery.

Loki

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 12:13 

You really do need to think about what you ask.

1. Are you going to supply and/or cover the cost of the parts?
2. Are you going to pay if the repair is not successful?
3. As already mentioned, are you willing to take the risk that you will be able to keep the drive alive long enough to recover the data?
4. We've had cases where after each head change, we are able to read some heads and not others. So, we would have to change the heads several times in order to get a full mirror. Are you able to mirror a drive with only a couple of good heads, cover the cost or each head change...along with the multiple parts drives needed?

The only two scenarios where I see it is a viable option is if the work done at the lab is a PCB/firmware fix and the heads/motor are stable. Otherwise, it is going to cost you a lot more in the long run.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 13:41 

Everyone one is right. More times when a head swap happens and you have drive working it can crash again during cloning. At time there is more than 1 head used in this process. If someone swaps out head and you start to clone and it crashes again is this the fault of the person who changed out the heads. No it is not. So if I were you it would be better to allow who ever you are working for to finish the job and just send you back the data. Being new in this field you do not understand all that can go wrong with a HDD. Oh well it might be wise to search and read here and send a few people some PM to see what they would suggest for you. There is some good DR guys in the US that would be willing to help and work with you. I know Jono, Thatdellguy, Cleanroom, Quasimodo to name a few. Might be better if you talk with each one of them on what they could do for you before asking this here. I do not think many companies would mind to repair your HDD and send it back but if it stops working again they will not do it a second time for free. On a broken HDD there is no guarantee on this one.