All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Computer Forensic Graduate looking to break into DR
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 11:48 

I am a recent Computer Forensic graduate who is looking to secure his first job role. I am looking to expand my skill set into the Data Recovery industry and I am looking for a Trainee Data Recovery vacancy within the UK.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Andrew Seegolun

Post subject: Re: Computer Forensic Graduate looking to break into DR
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 18:58 

Hi Drew,

Usually it will be difficult to find a trainee position. The DR industry is quite different from the CF industry per say. Most DR shops are not looking to hire anyone without experience and since knowledge in the DR industry is often very proprietary and scarce most are not willing to share company secrets. Knowledge in CF on the other hand is more open and frequently available for the most part. Although, I understand that it is a desirable skill set and it would allow you to market yourself with additional value for a CF position. I personally would not recommend DR as a stepping stone for CF, as it can get complex, challenging and time consuming. Furthermore to master it, it can easily take you off your CF track. If however you are interested in DR as your main career, I would hang around the forum, learn as much as possible and start researching and testing hard drives and study the inner workings. IMO, otherwise time would be better spent on adding any additional CF certifications that you do not have yet.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2013, 11:37 

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am really in two places what to do with my Career. I really appreciate your comments and will continue with my DR research.

Kind Regards

Andrew

PostPosted: January 27th, 2013, 15:29 

Quasimodo is spot on. I wouldn't personally take on a CF graduate. Why? I would probably feel as if I'm giving free training in DR until you find a CF job.

Sorry but that's business :)

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 8:24 

Hi Guru

I really understand Business is Business so I agree with what your saying. I have had a keen interest in DR throughout uni. If the opportunity became available to work within the DR industry with somebody training me, I wouldn't just up and leave if a CF job came along. I would stick to DR for the rest of my career.

Kind Regards

Andrew Seegolun