Switch to full style
Discussions related to DFL tools: general chat, firmware requests
Post a reply

Hardware advise

November 1st, 2018, 7:26

Hi
I am about to get serious about data recovery. Done my reading and theory now I would like approach practice. I am looking to get myself DFL-DRE PCIe card but I am thinking that it may be not all the same on what motherboard I am going to stick it in. So ... any suggestion on which motherboards are cooperating best with DFL-DRE PCIe 4X?

Re: Hardware advise

November 1st, 2018, 8:37

Have you asked DFL Support? Surely they would know what is recommended and what to avoid.

November 1st, 2018, 8:51

My first option was to ask You guys. Collectively you must have a working experience with relatively wide range of MBs.

November 1st, 2018, 9:56

I hazard to guess that there is likely no more than 5 active members here who use DFL, Larry being one of them.

November 4th, 2018, 15:40

DFL is good. I use combination of DeepSpar and DFL which suffices for me for now and my permutations and combinations of using both the tools to solve a given case work nicely.

DFL really helped get my basics right alongside interacting with all the members here.
The learning curve is going to be exponential with any tool that you get.

I am wondering now, if 3k manages to solve the new 2018 WD hard drives with the funny small pcb or the new 8tb 3.5" WD drives, I may have to get a 3k.

What ever you buy, get some formal training from the company. (I have never received any formal training but I am certainly planing to learn seagate from grass root this december by visiting the DFL office )

--

November 5th, 2018, 18:22

Helium...I am so glad, these drives just dont fly off un tethered.

---

November 16th, 2019, 0:27

Did you try asking DFL support?

November 16th, 2019, 15:23

pretty much with Sin.

biggest bang for buck in terms of ease of use and results is a Deepspar unit. (pick one that suits)
DFL i can't speak for, but seems a good combo by accounts here.
PC-3000 is the big daddy and has a steep learning curve. (much like passing your car driving test then stepping into an airliner cockpit.)
Deepspar, by comparison, is probably as close to plug'n'play you can get with DR hardware. ask here about addons as some are more use than others.

There are other bits of kit too, but the above just about cover it.

Also factor in cost of training unless you had prior experience, or some kindly peers that will help, and a couple or 3 of the Technician versions in logical recovery, such as R-Studio / UFS Explorer / Reclaime. Most have a Demo mode so you can get a feel. You might also keep an eye out for Black Friday Deals too.

K
Post a reply