All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spildit Password Challenge - Can you crack it ?
PostPosted: October 26th, 2013, 7:54 

Quote:
yes there is by the usa government have to hand over the keys to any encryption services
new rules and read about the the program Prism

Prism is a program where the 5 eyes countries will share information with the US government (and each other): USA, NZ, AU, UK, and one other, i forget, maybe Canada.

The NSA are supposed to be able to spy on anyone not a US citizen.

Quote:
as microsoft is a usa based company they have to hand over the keys
and source code on how they system works.

same goes with all encryption services

No, there is a standard of encryption that you are not allowed to export from the US. for example you are not allowed to take a HDD with Encryption that the US cannot break overseas.
There are certain rules for encryption, but not "all" encryption services. You may make an encryption service, say email, and run it following all the business rules like any other company.
You dont have to take any encryption keys to anyone, or ring them, email them, or tell them jack shit. But if they come knocking, and want something, you do have to follow the law, and follow any warrant.

If what you are saying was correct, why did they have to go ask Lavabit for the Journalist(or Snowdens) key? they would have already had it, or could break it.
but they didnt, and couldnt.

They may have had Microsoft in their pocket, but they didnt get the source code. They got some time with 0-day bugs, they got sume pre-encryption access to some parts and some dodgy access. same with Google and others.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 16:41 

Alright, I've got a little time to mess with this now. What about the length of the password. Will you give up that information?

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 21:08 

scotchbroth wrote:
Alright, I've got a little time to mess with this now. What about the length of the password. Will you give up that information?

If i remember correctly it was more then 60 characters (including numbers and symbols) and less than 70 characters.

I still have the original file and code. Up until now no-one was able to crack it. Not that i know of.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 10:59 

You picked up too long password for brute force. And that is the only way to get it. :)

PostPosted: January 5th, 2015, 11:38 

IMHO this exercise is pointless because.. unless you have a currently unknown exploit for the crypto of the 3 implementations, such as what the NSA might possibly have as discussed in Bruce Schneiers latest Crypto-Gram newsletter.. then yes it is just a brute force problem. If someone were able to get at the secret, the write-up would be very interesting.

so spinup your EC2 instances http://du.nham.ca/blog/posts/2013/03/08/password-cracking-on-amazon-ec2/or go buy some CUDA cores http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat/ and SLI as many as you can..

If your secret was THAT important to the right(or wrong) people, they may "ask" you for the password.. or "entice" you to remember it.

One thing about these sorts of things is that least effort always wins. Again referencing the recent Crypto-Gram newsletter, the network is going to be the way most often, monitoring for slipups, key exchanges, passwords transferring over the network. Breaking in at the endpoint would be last resort, cracking the crypto as well.
I would guess maybe 5 people maximum would have put more than 1/2 hours effort into solving this challenge, and I would bet quite a few would have stopped very near after reading the wiki on the expected crypto, or even before the required tools and dependencies were properly setup.

I suppose this actually makes it a good challenge when one of required parts to solve it is to actually spend some effort in doing so!

I think there are many conversations to be had around crypto, and it will be interesting to see where we are in another 5 years, and then another 10..

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 18:57 

Actually, if one could harness the power of the bitcoin mining network to work on the encryption might only take a few days. In wondering if that's what some government agencies are doing. It would explain why they aren't trying to shut bitcoin down.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2015, 19:25 

data-medics wrote:
Actually, if one could harness the power of the bitcoin mining network to work on the encryption might only take a few days. In wondering if that's what some government agencies are doing. It would explain why they aren't trying to shut bitcoin down.

You would need quantum computing to brute force my keys.
Only with quantum computing you would be able to try all the combinations at once and get the correct one right away. It would be like a stong bank vault trying to defend against someone who could teleport inside. Fortunatly at 2015 manking are still so far of the quantum computing as we are from teleporting.

Bitcoin can't be shut down as it's not a centralized monetary system.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2015, 12:44 

I'm not talking about just a single bitcoin miner, I'm talking the whole network which right now has ~350,000,000 Giga Hashes per second running around the world. This mining equipment is basically just brute force encryption breaking hardware being used to unlock new bitcoin. I've personally always wondered if there were other intentions of using the network on the back end.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2015, 13:25 

I've used a bitcoin mining rig myself on the time you would earn 50 bitcoins for a solved block.
Bitcoin mining was made as a possible chalenge to "crack" and the dificulty of solving each block would increase over time.
On the contrary truecrypt was made to be impossible to crack.
If you were to use ALL the computers now available in the world working in paralel on my truecrypt challenge you would still need some milions of years to bruteforce the 63 lenght characters/numbers passphrase.
Sure, you would be able to crack a 6 or even 8 digits code...

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 9:52 

http://xkcd.com/538/
;-)