All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD5000BPKT remapping while pulling image - help?!
PostPosted: November 16th, 2013, 21:45 

I've got a PGP-encrypted disk that is failing, and seems to be remapping sectors left-and-right as I try to pull an image. I have yet to try and decrypt the drive, since it's in such bad shape. I'm wondering if there's a serial console or tool to disable the remapping feature of the drive? I've currently got it connected through a usb dock, which seems to support the full SMART command set, since I was able to attempt a short self test through the WD Lifeguard tools.

I don't have any serious tools at my disposal, like a pc-3000 or salvation data set - I've tried to get my boss to purchase such tools, as I'd like to get further into data recovery than the basic stuff. I've had luck with using the serial console on some Seagate drives, so I figured that if there was some way to do the same thing on a WD drive, perhaps I'd be able to get further with this drive.

If I manage to pull an image, the PGP-encrypted portion is probably going to be somewhat of a hurdle, but given the fact that the user knows the password, it should be recoverable.

As for the SMART data, it looks like the counters for Free fall and reallocation event have become corrupt, currently stating a current and worst value of 1. The reallocated sector count is up at 561, and current pending sectors is at 8 (normalized base-2 value). Since I began pulling an image with r-studio, the counts have not increased, but access to the drive has become slow. (slower than that time I tried pulling data from a SCSI-1 Powermac drive, a few months ago, at 130kb/s) The sectors read have not increased in about an hour, suggesting to me that either the drive has hard-locked, or stopped responding altogether.

Any help would be great. I'm considering sending this drive in to a local data recovery expert I trust, if I'm unable to pull an image.

Post subject: Re: WD5000BPKT remapping while pulling image - help?!
PostPosted: November 17th, 2013, 6:33 

If you don't need the right tools, you should outsource before it is too late...especially if this really is for a forensics job.

Post subject: Re: WD5000BPKT remapping while pulling image - help?!
PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 11:55 

Sounds to me like this job will require a tool that can do by-head imaging...