All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using AES
PostPosted: July 8th, 2014, 16:22 

I was wondering around the internet about data encryption, the idea was to secure my computer data so nobody accept me (the guy who knows the password) can access my information, so I stumbled upon this AES thing, I like it a lot. It greatly protects my data (AES built in to controller) on hardware level.

What I want is, to use the drive as my portable desktop computer, by just connecting it to specially set up PC's, at multiple locations. The procedure would be, I install the drive, system on, log in with key, and then all normal PC operations (OS, browsers, etc.).

SO, I happily look for my product at the stores and just choose between manufacturers and parameters, BUT in the process the question is born "how do I insert the key in the SSD if no software can be read for the drive?". The internet told me that the key is stored on the drive and is derived form the motherboard BIOS password, that you enter when the PC starts. This is BS! If I remember correctly the BIOS pass is about 6 char. long. I feel no safety with that!

The question is, how is it possible to truly enter the AES key to SSD before the drive data is accessed?

Thank you.