Switch to full style
Anything related to computer forensics (new section!)
Post a reply

To catch a cheater! - Windows 8 Internet History Recovery

July 16th, 2015, 5:58

Hello,

I have a customer who wants me to do a forensic recovery on a windows 8 machine, they are concerned partner is using 'various' online services to cheat on them. Your mission is to help me confirm or deny this.

This thread is to discuss how i can get as much history as possible from the machine in the limited time window i can look at it (12hrs). I have 4 days until they arrive to study and try do a descent recovery, please help me.

I have as my disposal:

1x PC3000 Express kit with software

My current strategy:

1) Map all unused sectors in the drive for later analysis, or preferably the entire drive.
2) Copy existing history from the Windows 8 OS, Firefox and Chrome. (The specifics on this I'm not sure of yet.)

Any help appreciated. I've done plenty of deleted recoveries but this is my first specifically forensic recovery. :mrgreen:

Re: To catch a cheater! - Windows 8 Internet History Recover

July 16th, 2015, 10:55

after imaging, on a duplicate duplicate copy only... as a starting place to discover just about anything re websites, passwords, banking,credit cards, etc. I use a lisc. from http://www.identityfinder.com . Great general discovery software. The use lisc. is very reasonably priced.

July 16th, 2015, 12:24

Try the open source "autopsy".

but first, be damn sure you are legally able to do this.

a husband can go to jail for "hacking" his wife's email account.. and yes EVEN if she IS cheating.

July 16th, 2015, 13:03

Yes, not to mention the possible legal repercussions. Even if it's "legal" for you do search someone's HDD without their knowledge (and I doubt it is), you can definitely be sued for invasion of privacy. That's why I steer way clear of stuff like this.

When customers drop off phones and the likes for recovery and I even suspect it's not theirs, I tell them that our company policy is to notify the police when we discover a device belongs to someone else. Literally I've had people just walk out after I told them that.

July 16th, 2015, 14:13

If they don't trust their spouse, refer them to marriage counselling.

July 17th, 2015, 1:03

Good advice all around.

I will have to reject her offer, i cannot except devices that are not owned by the person submitting them!
Post a reply