Switch to full style
Anything related to computer forensics (new section!)
Post a reply

Deleted & Created New Partitions In Error

July 10th, 2016, 18:15

I was installing Windows 8.1 & deleted a Windows 7 Ultimate boot & OS partition then created new boot & OS partitions, before realizing it was my current OS HDD (the new HDD was on the table in front of me) I exited the installer immediately.

There is a vast amount of data recovery tools & methods on the Web both free & paid for. I am planning to use some type of free Linux based solution, cloning the disk first then working on the copy (maybe using Clonezilla). What is the best way to proceed? :?

Deleted HDD:
Sandisk SDD Plus 240 GB
Recovery HDD (target for clone):
Sandisk SDD Plus 240 GB
PC: 64 Bit

Re: Deleted & Created New Partitions In Error

July 11th, 2016, 15:19

I would start by examining your drive in readonly mode using a disc editor, eg DMDE (freeware).

https://dmde.com/

As long as you haven't formatted your drive, a complete data recovery should be possible with a few mouse-clicks in a matter of minutes.

Can you show us DMDE's Partitions window?

July 11th, 2016, 17:18

Thanks for the reply, shouldn't I clone the disk & work on the clone? Currently I have no OS & was hoping to use a live DVD or USB stick.

I have a desktop replacement laptop (Win 7 home premium) & external enclosure, 2 empty Sandisk 240 GB SSD HDD's, tower case with front loading tray-less hot-swap drive bays, so I could install Windows. Live DVD would be quicker. :)

July 11th, 2016, 17:40

Yes, by all means clone it. However, a quick check of the partition structure in readonly mode (the default) should tell you the extent of the damage without compromising your data.

July 13th, 2016, 6:54

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate, the drive appears in the UEFI BIOS but Gparted (Linux), DMDE, PC Inspector (Windows) does not see it. I tried Ultimate Boot CD & SystemRescueCd but find them difficult to use, :?

July 13th, 2016, 18:34

DMDE Screenshots:
Attachments
select drive 1.jpg
select drive 2.jpg

July 16th, 2016, 2:34

Re-inserted HDD into mobile rack & it showed up! Partitions window:
Attachments
partitions.jpg

July 16th, 2016, 19:33

The partition layout is not what I was expecting. I was hoping that your original partitions would all have "BCF" indicators.

B = boot sector at beginning of partition
    C = copy of boot sector at end of partition
    F = MFT (NTFS file system)

If you double-click "$Noname 04" and expand the Root, do you see your original file/folder structure? Or is this a remnant of an earlier build?

July 16th, 2016, 21:41

Wow! you guys are good, I can see my directory tree :D :
Attachments
DMDE Folders.jpg

July 17th, 2016, 1:57

Select any folder, r-click it and select Recover the Object. Test the recovered files for integrity.

The freeware edition of DMDE will only recover a limited number of files. The full edition sells for US$20.

I think it may be possible to reconstruct the original logical volumes with a few mouse clicks, assuming that only the boot sector is missing. However, it would be safer to do this on the clone. BTW, DMDE can clone your drive, assuming it has no physical problems.
Post a reply