All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to recover the data in a wet cell?
PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 3:51 

Banned User

Hello! Well you see, if a few days ago I opened a question asking for an emulator of android for PC because I had broken the touch screen because ... Tachán! After two weeks and after paying 100 euros to fix it, yesterday he wanted to accompany me and take a bath on the beach with me ...

It seems that fate was asking me for a change of cell phone. Well, what I was going to do xD

No rice, no dryer or na na, the phone does not turn on and when I connect the charger, the battery indicator light flashes red (when it has never done it, I guess it will be a way of telling you that the battery has clapped), What I wanted to ask is if despite this, taking it to a technician or something like that could recover the data I had in the internal memory of the mobile ... because I had many pictures and videos and I would be sorry to run out of them.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: How to recover the data in a wet cell?
PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 11:50 

Hi,

A good technician could ( maybe , since sea water ) at least make it work enough to recover your data.

Or you will need to send it to professional recovery.

Aside from the obvious nonsense of taking a cell phone to the beach ( I know, people do it, but is still risky and unnecessary ) , what you can/should do is leave it , without battery, for a couple days ( like, a week ) in a sealed bag of rice. I´ve seen many people that seem to think just putting it in a bowl with rice for a couple hours will solve the problems ( wrong ) .

But if the data is important, or if it has been a long time since you wetted it, it really is better to take it to a professional.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 17:35 

I would think that salt would have done major damage to the phone, especially if it wasn't washed out immediately.

Gazelle’s Guide to Water Damage: The Truth About Rice, the Galaxy and Everything:
https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-truth-rice-galaxy-everything/

Immersion Therapy: How to save your phone from water damage:
https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/04/30/immersion-therapy-save-phone-water-damage/

As for the efficacy of rice ...

Quote:
We compared the water absorption of eight different materials (including silica gel and rice.) None of these materials was as effective as leaving the device in an open space (such as a counter top) with good air circulation.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 19:40 

I would suggest that a vacuum could help. But dry rice is dry by definition. Air circulation would depend too much in the actual water content of said air at the person´s place.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 19:40 

Anyway, those two links may be an interesting reading. Thanks for them.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 3:05 

Banned User

Thank you for responding and for your time. I'm going to take a look.

See you around here

PostPosted: July 26th, 2018, 4:32 

AntonioGG wrote:
Hello! Well you see, if a few days ago I opened a question asking for an emulator of android for PC because I had broken the touch screen because ... Tachán! After two weeks and after paying 100 euros to fix it, yesterday he wanted to accompany me and take a bath on the beach with me ...

It seems that fate was asking me for a change of cell phone. Well, what I was going to do xD

No rice, no dryer or na na, the phone does not turn on and when I connect the charger, the battery indicator light flashes red (when it has never done it, I guess it will be a way of telling you that the battery has clapped), What I wanted to ask is if despite this, taking it to a technician or something like that could recover the data I had in the internal memory of the mobile ... because I had many pictures and videos and I would be sorry to run out of them.

Thank you!

Could you please tell us which phone you is it?

PostPosted: July 31st, 2018, 2:44 

Rice and other tricks are nonsense. Air is the best drying tool. There's a good chance of corrosion and if you power on the phone without thoroughly cleaning all the contacts on it there's a good chance you'll fry everything for good. On the cheaper end, you can do this with some high-grade rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush or q-tip, but again, there's some risk there. A professional would use an ultrasonic cleaner and then inspect and do further cleaning with a microscope. That may reveal a need to do a chip-off recovery or replace some of the modules on the board.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2018, 3:38 

Banned User

omi786 wrote:
AntonioGG wrote:

Thank you!

Could you please tell us which phone you is it?

I have the following smartphone model, Huawei P20: https://consumer.huawei.com/en/phones/p20/

Finally I had to go to a friend who works in a company ***spam removed by admin, user banned***

Thanks for all