All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: raw drive
PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 2:25 

what are the viable solutions to convert raw drive back to ntfs? the story: i was trying to clone a ddrescued drive using easeus software but as the process was stuck, i interrupt it with end task and the drive turned raw. i read that there is a way to recover the files but if there is anyway to convert the whole drive back to ntfs? thxs all in advance.

Post subject: Re: raw drive
PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 16:31 

Quote:
what are the viable solutions to convert raw drive back to ntfs? the story: i was trying to clone a ddrescued drive using easeus software but as the process was stuck, i interrupt it with end task and the drive turned raw. i read that there is a way to recover the files but if there is anyway to convert the whole drive back to ntfs? thxs all in advance.

Just to make it clear, how many drives are there in the story ? If the corrupted drive itself contains a ddrescue recovery from a defective drive, do you still have that defective drive ? As per the second hypothesis above, did you make absolutely sure that the source and destination were correctly set before proceeding with the cloning ? If it is indeed a clone of a clone, why did you want to clone it again, just for safety, or because the recovery drive also seemed to have issues ? What is the SMART status of all the involved drives ? Do you know why the Easus software was stuck, was there any warning / error message ? Does that software keep logs somewhere ? Did you try scanning the “raw” drive with a reputed recovery software (R-Studio and DMDE are often recommanded here), or opening it and its partitions with WinHex or equivalent ?

@Spildit
Quote:
Maybe you did clone the other way around (destination to source) and now your data is over-written with the data on the destination drive ?

If that were the case, even if the clone was partial, the system should recognize the partition(s) from the erroneously cloned drive, wouldn't it ? Unless the drive which should have been the destination and turns out to have been wrongly set as source was totally empty, which is unlikely.

Post subject: Re: raw drive
PostPosted: October 14th, 2018, 20:52 

Quote:
For safety reasons i NEVER use a drive as destination that was not cleared first. Also i almost never use direct clone and i use image files instead as it's more easy for me to store several images in one big drive rather than using multiple drives.

I agree with all that, but the point here was trying to guess what happened in this particular case, a case where someone who is apparently a regular user, not a data recovery professional, did something wrong and is trying to fix it. But with no further input it's hard to say anything relevant... And considering the other thread created by the O.P., if both issues are related, there might be no easy fix, and possibly no fix at all.