All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recovered 1.6 GB .MOV file, but unable to view
PostPosted: April 19th, 2021, 0:45 

Hey all, apologies if this isn't the right place. I read a thread where another guy was trying to recover an MP4 file, and it was in this particular forum group.

I have a 1.6 GB .MOV file that I can't view. I recovered this file from my wife's old laptop using the Recuva program. I have tried opening the file video player for google drive, converting the file to something else with cloud convert, buying Kernel Video Repair, and changing the file extension from MOV to AVI before trying to open it with VLC.

As far as I know, the file isn't corrupted. Here's the report from Recuva before I recovered it.

Filename: [000015].mov
Size 1.60 GB (1,728,082,529)
State: Excellent
Comment: No overwritten clusters detected.
421896 clusters allocated at offset 27137500.

A looooooong time ago when in college my friends and I would watch feature-length films someone had downloaded. Back then, we didn't really see much above 700mb, but that was before UHD, so I'm not sure what's going on here. I can't imagine how a MOV that large got on the computer, unless someone was recording with an iPhone for a few hours.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Recovered 1.6 GB .MOV file, but unable to view
PostPosted: April 20th, 2021, 21:17 

Update:

After shutting down my computer last night and trying the Kernel Video Repair tool again, I was able to view the contents of the file.

The MOV looks like it might be an amalgamation of all the pictures on this laptop, but most (or all) of them are much lower in resolution than the originals. The video has a lot of black/blank spaces, and the size of the frame jumps around quite a bit. When I play the video, the control board looks like it is continually starting and stopping (grayed out, not grayed out, etc) throughout the duration.

There might be some cleanup or splicing I could do, but at least now I know the contents.

Anyhow, thought let anyone interested know what was going on!