All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ATA Password Recovery Fujitsu MHZ2120BH
PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 13:54 

Hi Folks,

my wife dug up an old HP Netbook (HP 2133, AMIBIOS 08.00.14, F.02 v02.61 DriveLock EC Ver. 07.11, Fujitsu MHZ2120BH G2 8909) where the hard drive is ATA locked. Of course she does not remember the password so I was looking into it as there might be some old pictures on there that she'd like to have. I do not expect any spoon-feeding and am aware that this sounds like every story about a stolen/however acquired hard drive that someone wants to get into, but I'd appreciate a quick smoke test on my approach so far:

- hdparm reports security on high, drive is not frozen
- Unlock and then disable with hdparm/MHDD/Victoria HDD with the 32 spaces Fujitsu default master password did not work

From what I read so far my only approach forward would be to dive into dumping the drive firmware and understanding where and how the password is stored to then potentially decode it and use? There were already a couple of people looking into it (here and here) but I did not see any definitive results. Also I could not find any tools for dumping and decoding as they are around for WD or Seagate.

Am I correct that my ways forward would be
- Dive into dumping and decoding or
- Find some company that does the unlocking? (we would need to dig through invoices for proof of ownership, but we might find something)

Also further pointers (e.g. maybe someone knows whether HP/AMI BIOS did automatically set some master password that I wasn't able to find yet) are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
uchi_mata