All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time Machine Filevault2 wont accept known password
PostPosted: June 29th, 2022, 4:45 

History: MacBook 15" Samsung 1TB AHCI SSD died, non recoverable (S4LN058A01 controller not supported in PC3000, degraded memory, corrupted firmware/bad bytes...), won't ID, any interaction with it will stay in BSY mode, won't clone.

The only hope now was the Time Machine backup (Filevault2). This was with Monterey OSX. Time Machine backup is 1.5TB in iSCSI format, but I cloned it to a .img format to work with it now.

Password has been the same for years, but suddenly time machine wont mount, saying credentials are incorrect. I have seen this scenario happen to a lot of people over the years.

There is also a known bug in Big Sur and Monterey with TM. Would need to dig into this a bit more.

Opened in R-Studio:

EFI System Partition [FAT32]……..200MB
CoreStorage Protective partition
iStoragev2…………………….1.37TB
Booter (Boot OSX) [HFS+]………….128MB

Passware detects the CoreStorage protective partition as a non system volume, and states “system partition is required”. So I cannot use the utility of decrypting with iCloud credentials. (nothing was stored in iCloud, keychain or whatever, but maybe there would be some type of handshake as MacBook was logged in to Apple ID)
Apart from this, using the embedded brute force utility wont work, as it does not make sense though we already know the password stated as incorrect.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I am afraid the salt and/or ciphertext could be corrupted.

Also tried this https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/using-the-command-line-to-unlock-or-decrypt-your-filevault-2-encrypted-boot-drive/ with no luck.

Post subject: Re: Time Machine Filevault2 wont accept known password
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2022, 18:33 

R-Studio isn't always the best for encrypted partitions. I've found lots of bugs with it. Have you tried out UFSExplorer Professional to see if it's able to accept the password and decrypt correctly?

Post subject: Re: Time Machine Filevault2 wont accept known password
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2022, 6:00 

data-medics wrote:
R-Studio isn't always the best for encrypted partitions. I've found lots of bugs with it. Have you tried out UFSExplorer Professional to see if it's able to accept the password and decrypt correctly?

I tried in Data Extractor, also with UFS but this one wont mount the image, it says it id corrupted or not supported if I remember correctly. Also DiskWarrior says the same.

To be honest I think there is no support for Big Sur/Monterey yet. I know there have been huge changes in Filevault2 since Catalina.

There are a lot of reports with issues like this one over the years, most of them with a solution. I think we will have to wait.