All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drive not spinning. please help!
PostPosted: August 16th, 2014, 18:48 

2 TB drive from Dish Network Hopper satalite dvr box

Help me please!

I've liborated a 2tb hard drive from a hopper box. The drive will not spin unless connected to the SATA connection on the hopper box. So I tinkered a bit and figured out that if I connect the drive to the hopper letting it boot up and then for next to SATA on my computer I can then read the drive in windows. This tells me (maybe?) There is something doing on with the firmware/ROM of the drive that prevents it from spinning when connected to anything other than a Hopper. This method works fine for reading and writting to the drive, but if I reboot the computer I cant see it in Windows unless I connect it to the hopper box again.

My question to you fine people is, is there a piece of software that will allow me to flash the Firmware so allow it to work as a normal hard drive? Also, am I right in my assumption that the firmware/ROM is the issue here?

BTW the drive in question is a Seagate Pipeline Hd ST2000VM002

Post subject: Re: Drive not spinning. please help!
PostPosted: August 16th, 2014, 19:17 

It appears that the HDD is configured to Power Up In Standby (PUIS). If so, you could use HDAT2 (http://www.hdat2.com) to disable PUIS.

You will need to launch HDAT2 with the "/w" switch to wake up the drive, ie ...

HDAT2 /w

Post subject: Re: Drive not spinning. please help!
PostPosted: August 18th, 2014, 8:01 

baypag wrote:
2 TB drive from Dish Network Hopper satalite dvr box

Help me please!

I've liborated a 2tb hard drive from a hopper box. The drive will not spin unless connected to the SATA connection on the hopper box. So I tinkered a bit and figured out that if I connect the drive to the hopper letting it boot up and then for next to SATA on my computer I can then read the drive in windows. This tells me (maybe?) There is something doing on with the firmware/ROM of the drive that prevents it from spinning when connected to anything other than a Hopper. This method works fine for reading and writting to the drive, but if I reboot the computer I cant see it in Windows unless I connect it to the hopper box again.

My question to you fine people is, is there a piece of software that will allow me to flash the Firmware so allow it to work as a normal hard drive? Also, am I right in my assumption that the firmware/ROM is the issue here?

BTW the drive in question is a Seagate Pipeline Hd ST2000VM002

it is hddsurgery topic :)