All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MRT-Pro, about to purchase, how does it measure up
PostPosted: May 16th, 2015, 16:30 

Amarbir wrote:
fzabkar wrote:
As for Anne Leflore's books, I have yet to find out whether they are any more than mere Chinglish-to-English translations of SalvationData manuals, in which case you could probably get by with the originals.

Well,
You have no idea what you are taking about .Dont act like guru jee all the time " Guru this is not directed to you guru jee means a very learned person who other looks upto " . Sometimes when you open your month learn to first actually experience it .Do me a favour personally she has the Maxtor Manual Free For people like you go ask her and then compare it with the salvation data manual available .The seagate ,western digital etc manuals are even better .In The last 2 years you and spildit have been spending your full time in learning about Data recovery personally and now everyone who comes online you keep lecturing .

Anne's Maxtor manual is not available to everyone, so I have no way of knowing what is inside. I'm not bashing her work, I'm just asking what any reasonable person would ask, and that is, what are we getting for our money.

For example, does the WD manual explain what happens in a Selfscan, or does it simply tell you which of WD Doctor's menu buttons to click? Can I apply the content of these manuals to other tools, or are they specific to SD's tools? I've seen Scott Moulton's "books", so I don't want to buy another pig in a poke.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2015, 6:56 

Ok, so decided to make a TTL adapter as this would take less time than trying to buy one.

It'll go on some prototype pcb board, look a little homemade but the circuit is simple enough. Going to include 3.3v and 5v for now. Will look at 1.8v and 2.5v and see if it can be added now easily.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2015, 14:54 

nitrious wrote:
Will look at 1.8v and 2.5v and see if it can be added now easily.

See the "Kindle" modification in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29286

It raises 0V - 1.8V LVTTL levels to 0.6V - 2.4V. It's a hack, but it appears to work.

IMHO a better approach would be to use a rail-to-rail-IO comparator as a level translator. Even better would be a CP2104 based bridge with a voltage selector switch and adjustable LDO regulator for the IO section. I suspect that PC3000 and MRT Lab use a comparator based approach.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2015, 17:27 

My first victim is currently undergoing a selfscan, apparently 8 hrs worth, a WD 160Gb Royl (using older stuff on purpose, more support hopefully :) ) I had lying around the office. I suspect its going to go through a lot more before i'm done with it however. I'm using WD Pro 3.0 full at present.

i'm thinking of picking it apart in every way one can. Anything of especial interest to look out for ?

One of my clients is a electronic recycler, I'm thinking of asking them for some HDD's weekly going for destruction that don't need a certificate. Ideal training grounds I'm thinking.

perhaps even a great source for spares. Lets see how that goes tomorrow, should be interesting.