HDD GURU FORUMS
http://forum.hddguru.com/

Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??
http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38072
Page 1 of 1

Author:  HddDonorMarket [ February 15th, 2019, 12:33 ]
Post subject:  Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

I am still discovering DR job and MRT Ultra.
I couldn't find to ROM transfer method . MRT only reading ROM.
I can do hot swap transfer. But I am trying to find a method to ROM transfer unless hot swap .

Any advice?

Author:  pclab [ February 15th, 2019, 14:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

Yeah, only by swapping the ROM physically.

Author:  HddDonorMarket [ February 15th, 2019, 15:02 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

Then what for reading ROM.
If only one way hot swap. Not need to read ROM . Lol )))

Author:  Spildit [ February 17th, 2019, 15:44 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

I think that you are confusing that HOT swap thing with swaping ROM chip.

HOT SWAP is when you swap the PCB from one drive to the other without removing power. Swaping chips doesn't have anything to do with HOT SWAP apart from the HOT soldering station.

If you READ the ROM on Toshiba with your firmware tools you can WRITE the rom to a chip later on if you do kill the ROM with the soldering iron/station.

Also you can extract CPs from the ROM using something like this : - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1724 and then you can swap the PCB to another one with SAME ROM MAIN CODE CVERSION and WRITE CPs from the native ROM to the non-native ROM by VSC and you are done !

Author:  HddDonorMarket [ February 19th, 2019, 13:10 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

My English poor. I miss something that you post.

So , is that
Read CP files from patient
And write to new pcb.
Is that mean rom transfer?

Author:  data-medics [ February 19th, 2019, 14:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

HddDonorMarket wrote:
Then what for reading ROM.
If only one way hot swap. Not need to read ROM . Lol )))


Some of us like to make a backup of the ROM in case it gets cooked during the physical transplant. At least you can still write it back using an external programmer if something goes wrong.

It's a best practice thing.

Author:  Spildit [ February 19th, 2019, 16:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

data-medics wrote:
HddDonorMarket wrote:
Then what for reading ROM.
If only one way hot swap. Not need to read ROM . Lol )))


Some of us like to make a backup of the ROM in case it gets cooked during the physical transplant. At least you can still write it back using an external programmer if something goes wrong.

It's a best practice thing.


Agree.

Author:  Spildit [ February 19th, 2019, 16:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

HddDonorMarket wrote:
My English poor. I miss something that you post.

So , is that
Read CP files from patient
And write to new pcb.
Is that mean rom transfer?


If you have 2 PCBs with SAME ROM MAIN CODE and of course diferent adaptives and unique CPs (ROM MODULES) You can :

1 - READ CPs on Drive A.
2 - On Drive B (donor) WRITE CPs from drive A (you should not write platter CPs like DD - P-List).
3 - Move PCB from drive B to drive A. If MAIN ROM code is the same PCB should work on drive A now.

Author:  HddDonorMarket [ February 19th, 2019, 18:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

Spildit wrote:
HddDonorMarket wrote:
My English poor. I miss something that you post.

So , is that
Read CP files from patient
And write to new pcb.
Is that mean rom transfer?


If you have 2 PCBs with SAME ROM MAIN CODE and of course diferent adaptives and unique CPs (ROM MODULES) You can :

1 - READ CPs on Drive A.
2 - On Drive B (donor) WRITE CPs from drive A (you should not write platter CPs like DD - P-List).
3 - Move PCB from drive B to drive A. If MAIN ROM code is the same PCB should work on drive A now.

Thanks for info. I will make practise about that point.

If I remove pcb before get CP files so that files from ROM chip. ..And I would write them to donor. Meaning that files not from platter. Right?

Author:  Spildit [ February 19th, 2019, 18:15 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

If you can read CPs with PCB only then this will work.

Also if you don't care for drive B you can write all CPs back to it. You will over-write DD with non-native P-List but you don't need drive B anyway, right ? After all you will be using drive B PCB on drive A from now on.

You can read ROM by terminal and use tool to get CPs from that ROM file. Then write those CPs to donor drive PCB.

Author:  HddDonorMarket [ February 24th, 2019, 8:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

I can read 65gsx CP files with lost rom chip Hdd. Only DD cannot read. And zone table data wrong.

Which CP file include zone information? Any suggestion?

Author:  pepe [ March 7th, 2019, 20:59 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

it is possible to write rom using hyperterminal.
or write CPs but that won't transfer the code...

you can read CPs from your donor pcb any time but DD is on platters, for which you would need native adaptives from native rom which you don't have as far as i understood... :(

I am pretty sure sa access can be restored relatively easily but where do we go from there?

pepe

Author:  HddDonorMarket [ March 16th, 2019, 9:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Toshiba ROM write for pcb swap ??

Spildit wrote:
I think that you are confusing that HOT swap thing with swaping ROM chip.

HOT SWAP is when you swap the PCB from one drive to the other without removing power. Swaping chips doesn't have anything to do with HOT SWAP apart from the HOT soldering station.



Yes . I learned hot swap means now.
Thanks

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/