All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Newbies VS Pros
PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 9:40 

Nick_CT wrote:
When I was first starting in DR I received a lot of useful information from certain pros on this forum. If you show you are dedicated and have applied your mind, put in the work on your side then certain people will help you. It's the 'one posters' that come in here wanting to know all the 'secrets' which are the problem.

There are a lot of extremely knowledgeable, helpful and humble people on this forum.

totally agree...... +1 Nick :D

"If it's your only copy - then it's not a backup!"

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 9:47 

Doomer wrote:
What I wanted to say that it seems that every DR beginner believes that buying piece of software would help him become a pro. In reality: you can't use that software if you are a newbie. You have to have a lot of background to understand what to do with that software. And I also dare say that a real pro doesn't rely solemnly on the commercial software but also participates in research

Everyday we open boxes of new problems that need to be researched and investigated - this is the ONLY way you truly become proficient at your 'Art'..... and it's continually on-going...

"If it's your only copy - then it's not a backup!"

PostPosted: April 25th, 2013, 21:10 

I know all this now, but it is not how 2 of the 3 main tools providers market their stuff, and being new, that is what we have to go on. It doesn't help that the tool I chose is so very bad at its job that moving forward would be to start at the beginning.

Aside from the tool manufacturers training sessions, is there any formal (not tool specific) DR education available? For example for forensics there is a defined pathway through university/college.

I would think that you could choose electronic engineering, some forensic modules and software reverse engineering to build your own course, but do any exist that are a defined pathway?

What annoys me is that it takes a better part of a year banging your head against a wall to even realise that the questions you post when you are a newbie are actually dumb ones.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2013, 16:08 

what about http://myharddrivedied.com/?
:)

PostPosted: June 4th, 2013, 21:27 

Unique Hard Drives wrote:

Yes Ive been following Scotts work for years. I like the way he jumps in and gets to ripping into the Hard Disks very quickly, and makes it look so simple, but in a way that you appreciate the work for what it is. Watched many conference presentations and heard many podcasts of Scotts work.

problem is ther is not alot of training in Au, and it is all for Hard drives, which i am not doing. I am interested in only Flash / SSD. His courses do "cover SSD" but with the focus on Conventional Hard Disks, this could not allow a considerable amount of Flash mem training. # grand and you keep the tools is pretty good price though, out of my reach, but good nonetheless.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2015, 17:32 

The only flash / SSD course I know that is being offered is by ACE and in Prague I believe. Think the people with flash knowledge are too greedy to share it :)

In the data recovery world flash and SSD recovery is still considered very new!

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 0:04 

Pretty sure Rusolut also do training. I don't think there is any flash training from anyone that isn't a vendor of a tool, the only other ones I have seen are just small addons to forensic or HDD classes, and focus on unsoldering and reading but nothing in depth.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 8:09 

HaQue wrote:
Pretty sure Rusolut also do training.

right, in poland

PostPosted: November 11th, 2015, 19:40 

jermy wrote:
HaQue wrote:
Pretty sure Rusolut also do training.

right, in poland

spare a thought for me in AU where nothing happens, and even if it did, it wouldn't in Adelaide!!

PostPosted: November 12th, 2015, 2:58 

For sure ruSolut does.
Just finished a very detailed and highly recommended training in Poland.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2015, 16:47 

Can you be more specific about the training in Poland? Where? What does it cover and now hands on is it?

I'm in the U.S., but was born in Poland so this would be a fun trip!

Thanks.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2015, 17:10 

http://rusolut.com/rusolut-starts-regul ... -seminars/

PostPosted: November 12th, 2015, 18:19 

jermy wrote:
http://rusolut.com/rusolut-starts-regular-training-seminars/

Thanks!

PostPosted: November 13th, 2015, 4:37 

There is more info here: http://rusolut.com/chip-off-data-recovery-guidelines/

PostPosted: November 17th, 2015, 7:01 

HaQue
Quote:
spare a thought for me in AU where nothing happens, and even if it did, it wouldn't in Adelaide!!

gave me a chuckle there mate.
reminded me i saw a movie or some such the other day where a guy pointed on a map said something like "if this is nowhere, here is just about the middle of it <us> "

Not quite as expansive in the north of UK but can feel isolated especially if you are trying to find something regarded as niche, that a city sees as common place.

Half expect, in a few years, Ray Mears-alikes visiting small towns and villages to make documentaries much like they do with first nations / aboriginals nowadays :)

So, Poland ......

PostPosted: November 17th, 2015, 7:51 

This is a "Claytons" Capitol City... Used to be a pretty popular reference for just about everything that was a bit "lacking" a while ago! but if you don't get it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylH43Tcaj60

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 19:11 

microhardware wrote:
Long time reader first time poster

I registered today because i finally understood what the pros / data recovery experts were saying all this time.
Then:
All this time i was on the newbies side thinking DR is sooo secretive industry. They must know but they don't wanna tell. Its 2 min fix if they tell me how to do it. Of course I am coming from IT background. I ll be able to quickly understand. They charge arm and a leg for nothing. That's why they are secretive. They are soooo rude. People just need their data back.
I think you get the picture :lol:

In Between

I work for an IT company as a senior IT consultant. 25 year in IT from security software database networking. Very confident too. Our moto "never been beaten" until the management decided to branch out to data recovery.

Now
After many many many many months research ,many many many many many $, many many many many hours paid training, many many many many hdds I can say, I am converted.
There is no quick fix, there is no easy recovery, very rarely you have two exact cases especially it is almost impossible to diagnose a fault using couple of lines of text without any information in them. NO, changing the PCB wont fix your hdd, putting it in the freezer definitely wont get your data back. And no one can explain step by step how to change a head.
Alignment wont happen with being careful too.
And begging and WRITING IN CAPITAL wont make anyone tell you the magic secret because IT DOESN'T EXIST.
It takes time to recover, every case is different, and you need equipment to do it. The only reason why some recoveries are quick is because pros have done it before.

Thank you
Misha

I just started in DR myself and personally love it. It is a challenge and one big giant puzzle (puzzles give me goose bumps of excitement). The only part that is a REAL pain are those damn head swaps. So... tedious... Then if you accidentally touch the platter with the tip of your glove because you were too focused on the heads...

Now I can truly understand why data recovery is so expensive. Its hard. Sometimes unforgiving. Once you figure out a tough job and get things going what a rush.

Either way it is a ton of fun. I get to work and do stuff that so few people do, get to do or don't want to do. Before I was in the IT field as well but worked at a small business leading up the service department. I also did a lot of in-home networking (WiFi). What you said is what I am seeing now. No two drives are ever the same. No two recoveries are the same. They may have similarities but there is all just some quirk that throws a wrench into the mix.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 2:10 

You are totally welcome as a newbie. We commonly get newbies looking to start DR, "newbies" that just want to fix/recover their one hard disk never to return, Engineers or hard core hobbyists that want to flex their experience/knowledge muscles and everything in between.

What doesn't appear to be welcome is spam, hostility and flame wars about the usual topics.

Tip is to use the right forum section with relevant content and I cant see you will have a negative experience.

We are all newbies, just some have more experience than others.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 22:14 

anyware69 wrote:
I, my self is a newbie on this site. I am sure I have to learn and engage with fellow forumers. questions are am I welcome here?

Newbies are totally welcome....by about 85% of the people on here. The other 15% are going to drive you crazy by constantly trying to make you feel like you aren't a "professional" because you'll occasionally do stupid things which are risky and you didn't totally understand what you were doing. They'll tell you about a hundred times that you should "outsource" it since you "clearly don't know what you're doing". They'll constantly berate you for what you don't know while refusing to offer any meaningful help to improve your knowledge, and pretty much make you feel like crap for the next 5 to 10 years every time you interact with them.

But, did I mention the other 85% of guys on here? They're actually a really cool bunch who will give you the shirt off their back and teach you a lot of what you need to know to be successful in this business.

Welcome to the forum. :D

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 7:31 

Hey anyware69, welcome.

Totally agree with Haque and data-medics.

The only other thing that will certainly draw flame is to show up and ask a question such as
"i am new to data recovery and have a clients drive ..... what do?" or anything else that compromises DR tech/eng reputation by wilful neglect.

If you do experiment, do it on your own gear.

Plenty of free tools out there. you just need time, spare drives, curiosity and a persistent attitude.

Take the Red Pill, good luck and have fun :)

K

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next