All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Results of the D.I.Y (Do It Yourself) solutions.
PostPosted: May 19th, 2009, 22:06 

@N.C.

I completely agree with you. I was making a statement that if Spildit continues on like this it is only going to hurt others chances to recovre their data at a reasonable cost. I am not posting all kinds of home rememdys and DIY schemes on the internet to try and destroy the chance for recoverying hard drives. If there is an actual problem with a head stack inside the drive and people read somethng concerning that model and try to do it with that solution before understanding the real problem the drive has stopped working it is only going to cost them their data or in the end and extreme amount of money to get it back.

You suggestions are very good and warrent looking into. I do believe that we see maybe 10 to 20 post all on the same subject all the time. Burned PCB boards, pictures, and which is the TVS chip that needs to be taken care of. I think if people had to do a little research and search on here for just a few days they could find what they were looking for and leave room for other questions that could be answered.

I understand that people only come here once to seek help for free and ask questions so they can save costs on drive repair. Wrong answers cost them their data, take it to a pro makes them angry, truth can not be handled by most, and panic is the worst of all when it comes to lost data and needing it back. It is hard if you have a real problem that needs to be addressed and when asking a question here it is not possible to receive the answers from someone else. You are correct when you say that the pros need to have a place they can post some questions and answers and in this respect will not harm anyone what so ever especially a new person seeking help for the first time who does not understand what you are talking about and could think it applies to his drive and tries this fix it for repairing his drive and destroys it in the end. Well who is to blame it can't be you. You are not the one that told him to try this method. But if methods that need personal attention are not posted on the forum and in private there should be no hard to anyone involved what so ever.

On the other hand all the pros who wish to share and in private can all get together and ceate another forum for private use and leave this one as it is open to the public. Then they have the option if they want to come here to visit and post help or just stay on their other forum and receive help that is needed to survive in this business. That way there is no more war between members and people saying they will post all results on the open forum. Then it is them who will suffer and not you. On the other hand you also have the option to post or not that is your choice. You can limit your posts to someone who you feel really deserves help and will not hurt you in the end and not post to the ones that you feel will hurt the DR community by posting all results they have found.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2009, 1:09 

@Spildit

You receive and learn on one hand new knowledge - and blazon it out "like the big pro"
on other side in different forums. There you emit the impression, that all DR pros are
bandits and "only you" are the one to fight against it.

There are black sheep in every profession. If you want to go against them, ok, then
you have to do that for all other professions aswell.

But you are lazy - its easier to "fight" against the whole business.
---

In about 30 years of selling and 22 years of them in dealing in IT service, I have learned
that people only will hear and understand what they want to hear.

You tell them: "It can work, but be careful you could harm your system"
They understand: " It will work "
Finally, when it did not work (in over 90% the cases) they come back and argue:
"YOU have told me, it will work" ---> and as they are the "protected end consumer"
they even "could" make a lot of problems.

And now, there is a unbelieving guy, with the intention to pass on firmware data and
hdd commands to the public. Thats soooo dum.

It will again create
- 1) the impression ITS SO EASY TO FIX
- 2) these DR guys are all bandits
- 3) a lot of new DIY caeses, where more harm is done to data and drives

quote:
After all the propriatary vendor commands are propriatary from Maxtor, Seagate, Samsung, etc .... not Ace, not Salvation ...
unquote

Yes, but these companies did a lot of research - its reverse-engeneering - and their
customers pay for the easier usage and the much quicker results.

I bet, if you would have the money, you would buy these tools yourself - now
you behave like a jealousy child.

no more to say
+++

PostPosted: May 20th, 2009, 4:23 

falther wrote:
...I have learned
that people only will hear and understand what they want to hear.

You tell them: "It can work, but be careful you could harm your system"
They understand: " It will work "
Finally, when it did not work (in over 90% the cases) they come back and argue:
"YOU have told me, it will work" ---> and as they are the "protected end consumer"
they even "could" make a lot of problems.

Totally agree! :lol:
I have seen this a lot of times...

Janos

PostPosted: May 20th, 2009, 12:10 

Quote:
I bet, if you would have the money, you would buy these tools yourself - now
you behave like a jealousy child.

I could repair a single 7200.11 drive with LBA-0 or BSY problem, ask the client to pay $1000 USD and get a Chinese PC3000 UDMA and i would still have some money left.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2009, 9:45 

There is no Chinese UDMA

PostPosted: May 25th, 2009, 23:10 

GENERALLY, I BELIEVE A GREAT JOB HAS BEEN DONE HERE.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 18:40 

Well Spildit by u post, im suppose u are youngest, let me told u something im start on this forum like on the end of 2004, i was so "youngest" too at that time 23 years old , but i learn something value, if u start on a place where there are another more respectable people than u with more experience, and knowledgment, and startling like a newbie u should get what does they told u,im not telling u are a newbie, but here are people with the half of year working on DR, than me and when i started i learn to "hear " what does people told me , about how should act on this forum.

Regards

Thats IMHO

PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 20:26 

Regards.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2009, 5:21 

Falther has some interesting points..

What about a section where ..

Code:
My Hard Disk is Dead ...
My Hard Disk is Making Noises ...
.. Clicking
.. Motor Noises
.. Buzzing
I dropped my hard Disk ...
My pet Elephant sat on my laptop and it stopped working ...
I deleted all my files
etc

Just let the user access this section until they get the acknowlegemnt email, can this be dealyed for say 1 or 2 hours ?

Under sections where professional assistance is required, perhaps a list of member companies in the different coutries would help both the user and the company Using PM or email contact ?

PostPosted: August 9th, 2009, 10:34 

Quote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 10th, 2009, 14:15 

... thought I was the only one here having pets weighing more than 500 KG.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 13th, 2009, 16:26 

Spildit wrote:
Regards.

i like u =)

PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 17:45 

Thanks, Alexii ! :D

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 23:37 

Banned User

How to extend system partition in Windows 7/Vista/XP, Server 2003/2000 and Server 2008?

As applications continue to be installed into the Windows system, suddenly one day find the system partition do not have enough free disk space, and when every time the system starts, Windows always prompts the following information:

You are running out of disk space on SYSTEM (C:), To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here…

[link removed by moderator]

PostPosted: April 5th, 2010, 3:53 

Salvation Data is spamming again... Very clever.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 13:31 

maysoft wrote:
Salvation Data is spamming again... Very clever.

Lol

Master They Have it all Over the Net ,this solution :lol:

My Data Recovery Experiments - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery

PostPosted: July 15th, 2010, 1:31 

Hi everybody,

I'd like to post my humble opinion.

I'm not an HDD guru, anything farther from that, so, I'm a newbie. Yes, that I am. :)

I've registered right today, which doesn't means that today I've found you through Google. No, I was looking for Dmitriy since a while because I was using MHDD, and finally found this great forum community.

I personally feel sorry asking "newbies"/silly questions; I like reading and that's what I did, however I also have a job and not all the time in the world to read every post on this forum, so, I've used the search engine.
Sadly, it doesn't works quite well because I needed to use results searching *really wide* terms as "erase" and "delays" (or "AMNF", or whatever).

Fortunately I've found a place where my newbie question felt comfortable to others and they were helping me (thanks a lot for that guys!).

When reading all this post I felt FALTHER's messages quite offensive to people like me: newbies.
Agree 100% with Dmitriy on the point that "people screaming for HELP" doesn't abound and that's good. All we know that some other forums are plagued of that kind of people (a way that I really hate).

The posts quantity is a not-reliable "quality" indicator of the pro: it's enough to see that "maysoft" has less than 600 posts and no one will doubt about his knowledge.

Beside this, forcing me to sit and wait to be allowed to ask for something could made me either, read a couple more posts (and just a couple more) or desperate completely and make my world even worst after loosing 300GB of data.

I think you already have a real healthy community and with a lot of knowledge to share (I wish I could do the same). :D

Again, this is a humble opinion from someone who is in the opposite from all of you.
Glad to be read and allowed to coment out. :wink:

Kind regards,
"Pampa"

PostPosted: July 16th, 2010, 2:33 

Allthough I do not know which of my post(s) you referr to, I like the word "offensive".

But, finally I doubt that it does change the behaviour of those "newbies" who dont care
about anything, but their immediate and sole "big problem". It has to be solved now,
and each pro on this forum certainly has to assist immediately and for free.....

Have a look to all those aggressive reactions from "newbies", not receiving the
"very offensive" requested free advice...

If my "offensive" posts let some of these "newbies" correct / modify their behaviour
I am happy.

+++

PostPosted: January 15th, 2012, 9:40 

May I suggest a bit different viewpoint on DIY approach?

I think I understand the complexity of DR and I fully respect this community. If a broken hard disk contains valuable info, I send it to some DR company for recovery. BUT: I won't send my old hard disk which contains only some unimportant stuff to a DR company. I will try to fix it on my own (I'm even have access for a clean room). There is only one thing that may prevent me from doing it on my own: some expert show me how he would do it. I would even pay for it! You know, I'm a researcher who does try things to learn new stuffs.

I find one issue in DR community quite contradictory: we do not share info with the public as they will misuse it. Who cares? I think making the technical information more publicly available would have a positive effect. Want-for-free guys may realize that it is complicated and no cheap-and-easy way for them. Hobbyist would ask more appropriate questions. You wouldn't have to waste you valuable time to reverse engineer info which should be public! I hope I'm not missing something...

PostPosted: January 15th, 2012, 18:57 

@gaboo,

gaboo wrote:
I hope I'm not missing something...

I think that you are missing something, although of course everyone is entitled to their own views.

gaboo wrote:
I'm even have access for a clean room

That is unusual for non-DR professionals who ask for help in the forum. Most advice to new visitors to this forum, cannot include any work that would require a clean room (or equivalent).

gaboo wrote:
There is only one thing that may prevent me from doing it on my own: some expert show me how he would do it.

With respect, no, that is not the only thing. In many cases, specific tools (e.g. head combs), equipment (e.g. PC-3000), sometimes other proprietary software, are needed for successful recovery, in addition to the knowledge (know-how) that you mention, of how to use the tools & equipment etc.

gaboo wrote:
I would even pay for it! You know, I'm a researcher who does try things to learn new stuffs.

Wanting to learn new things is great - but do not under-estimate the value (to the DR pros) of that knowledge (often self-taught at great expense in terms of time, and sometimes money too), and therefore the amount you would need to pay to get that knowledge from them. Of course you can approach the DR pros directly to discuss your idea and ask how much you would have to pay, for them to teach you.

gaboo wrote:
I find one issue in DR community quite contradictory: we do not share info with the public as they will misuse it. Who cares?

Have a read of this thread, for some discussion on the subject:

diy-what-the-big-deal-t12671.html

gaboo wrote:
I think making the technical information more publicly available would have a positive effect.

Again, this is discussed in the above thread. Depending on where the "technical information" which you mention, has been obtained (many different sources are possible), some people have different views to you.

When you have that type of "trade secret" information, you can choose to distribute it widely if you want to do that, and others will be grateful. :) But if it cost you 6 months of your life to get that info, and if it helps you to put food on your table, would you give it away and hence create more competition (as well as wasting 6 months of your life) and potentially lead to less food on your table? If so, then your altruism is exceptional. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next