All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: suggestion for hdd
PostPosted: August 14th, 2010, 15:23 

i'm thinking of buying WD 1TB hdd (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=763). My system configuration can be seen in the pics attached. can someone please tell me if 1tb hdd are supported by my system? Also, currently i'm using windows xp. I've read about the Advanced format structure on these two links ( http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=8113 & http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat) and its a little confusing.

If 1TB hdd is supported, should I apply a jumper across pins 7-8 before using it or use the Advanced Format Hard Drive Utility without applying the jumper OR apply the jumper and then use the software? I'll be using it as a secondary hdd only to save data on it, no OS will be installed on this hdd.

System Configuration:

I'll be thankful if someone can please guide me.

Post subject: Re: suggestion for hdd
PostPosted: August 16th, 2010, 19:30 

If you buy this drive with the advanced format and you are using XP then you should put the jumper 7-8 closed to align the sectors properly.
Once you have done this-never remove the pin unless you are going to reformat to windows 7 in your new pc some day.
Any hard drive upto 2tb will be ok with your computer.Just make sure you have sata connector on your motherboard. not sure but i think it should have 2.
Attachment:
sata.jpg
sata.jpg [ 26.41 KiB | Viewed 5599 times ]

If it does not you can always buy an addon pci sata card- cheapest.

Install windows on your newe hdd and enjoy the 1tb of space-- wont make your computer faster though.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2010, 19:53 

lolz i know it won't make my system fast, i'm just getting out of space, all the current hdd 40,80 & 640 are almost full. i already have a sata hdd but what i don't understand is the following from WD website. I'll be using the hdd just as a secondary storage device, only for storing data. I guess i can just :

1. format the hdd into multiple partitions and then re-align it using the WD software?
OR
2. align it first and then format the hdd into multiple partitions?

Code:
Can I install a WD Advanced Format Drive under Windows XP without having to use WD Align?

To create a single Windows XP partition from a clean install, apply a jumper across pins 7-8. If you choose this option, DO NOT run the WD Align utility. Setting the jumper is all that is required to achieve full performance.

SPECIAL NOTES FOR JUMPER USAGE

* The jumper must be installed prior to drive installation and partitioning.
        * After partitioning the jumper must not be removed.

Once you have installed the jumper and installed Windows XP on the drive, do not remove the jumper, as Windows XP will not be able to boot from the drive and the partitions on the drive would not be optimally aligned under other operating systems.

[u]For a clean install of Windows XP using multiple partitions, DO NOT install the jumper; simply run the WD Align utility.[/u]

why did they had to make it so goddamn confusing... :shock:

PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 4:38 

If you are going to use it as secondary- ignore the jumpers and utilities - its only a sector shift for XP OS.
Just whack it in and format/partition it in NTFS and your ok.
For windows XP booting you need the jumper or align tool.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 9:50 

lolz thanks .. now i feel relaxed.. :mrgreen: