All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HDD Partitions Error (partitions not showing using TestDisk)
PostPosted: August 27th, 2010, 15:06 

hi....

i' came across this site while googling for my problem and finding a video on youtube. Anyways, coming to the problem. I was having a problem with my hdd yesterday, the disk was showing as offline and reactivating it from the Computer Management was not working, and converting it to basic partition would have destroyed all data. So, after a lot of googling, I came across this website (http://www.dotnetscraps.com/dotnetscrap ... t-72512036).

Anyways, following the advise on the said website, i made one partition primary (using the software TestDisk) BUT when i restarted my PC, only one partition was showing and the rest of the disk was showing as unallocated space in the Computer Management. All the data on those drives is ... gone (i hope not, because after using some recovery softwares like Recover My Files, GetData,EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard, EASEUS Partition Master I can see in the search some known files).

BUT I haven't run extensive search on the above softwares because this is not i want. I'm looking for a software which can help me get my partitions back, but after extensive googling, i think its not possible? Also, am not really sure and understand how to use the tutorial on this website about TestDisk, which in the first place screwed my hdd (or maybe i did it :P )

So, i would be very very thankful if someone can please guide me if its possible to recover the partitions, so i can get my important data which i've collected over the years. If not, please do tell, what is the quickest and fastest way to get the data back as its really getting irritating now as i've not slept since yesterday because of this problem :(

HDD : 640GB SATA, (using it only for storing data, no windows installed)
System: Intel P4, 2.4 GHz, 1GB RAM (its a dell-optillex gx-270 machine)

Thanks & Regards

(also posted here http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/ ... stdisk%29/)

Post subject: Re: HDD Partitions Error (partitions not showing using TestDisk)
PostPosted: August 27th, 2010, 22:09 

Seem to me you have posted more than one post on the same drive. Get a recovery program like RStudio and scan and recover your files. Read all your other posts on this and follow the advise. Search here for some recovery progams and recover the data on this drive. After save it to another drive. Format this drive correctly and store your data on it again.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 4:51 

I would first examine the damage before using any software, especially software that writes to your drive.

To this end, could we see the partition table and boot sector with Microsoft's Sector Inspector?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SecInspect.zip

Extract the above archive to the one folder and execute the SIrun.bat file. The procedure will generate a report file named SIout.txt.

Otherwise, if cloning your drive is not an option for you, then you could try Partition Find and Mount:

http://findandmount.com/

PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 8:26 

poehere wrote:
Seem to me you have posted more than one post on the same drive. Get a recovery program like RStudio and scan and recover your files. Read all your other posts on this and follow the advise. Search here for some recovery progams and recover the data on this drive. After save it to another drive. Format this drive correctly and store your data on it again.

nope, other posts are related to my 1tb hdd, this problem that i'm having is with 640gb hdd. i'll try using rstudio.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 8:29 

fzabkar wrote:
I would first examine the damage before using any software, especially software that writes to your drive.

To this end, could we see the partition table and boot sector with Microsoft's Sector Inspector?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SecInspect.zip

Extract the above archive to the one folder and execute the SIrun.bat file. The procedure will generate a report file named SIout.txt.

Otherwise, if cloning your drive is not an option for you, then you could try Partition Find and Mount:

http://findandmount.com/

i don't understand the results of SecInspect :S

i've used partition and mount but it didn't show any favourable results, i'm now thorough scanning it, hoping that it will be of some help

PostPosted: August 29th, 2010, 7:34 

Upload the SecInspect results. Maybe one of us will understand them.