All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dell Optiplex 755 Bios Logo Challenge - for Experts plz
PostPosted: September 16th, 2010, 4:39 

guru wrote:
It's just a phrase of couse I expect it to be open to everyone.

I take work seriously when I know who people are ;o)

am gonna keep this in my mind

PostPosted: September 16th, 2010, 8:47 

Hi Everyone!

As Einstein9 said, it was only out of luck really I stumbled on this challenge.. I was looking around to see if there was a method of changing my own personal Dell 745 boot logo. To be honest I thought the $3k wasn't serious, so if I only changed my own machine the time spent was worth it!

Now just wanted to give you a bit of an update....
I can change my 745 logo pretty quickly and am still using this for quick tests. I've worked out how to resize the image to 408x408 pixels, still messing around with the limited colours!

Einstein9 has supplied me with a copy of his customers logo, which has required alot of tweaking to get the resolution and palette down to something the Dell's accept. This has been successfully injected into a 755 Bios Update and the customer seems happy with the result.

Initally I was told the customer was using 755's (which checksum is very different to the 745), we've now been asked to do 780's as well! Yet more headaches, but I think i've CRC it - just awaiting some machines to give it a go!

We're also jointly looking at ways to license the number of installations as the customer said 2000 workstations but now comming back with 8000, so checking out a usb product that count (and limits) the amount of times the customised bios update can be run.

Out of personal interest - did anyone else come close to working the logo out???? I don't mind sharing my infomation once signed off and paid!

LOllett

PostPosted: September 16th, 2010, 9:19 

lollett wrote:
Hi Everyone!

As Einstein9 said, it was only out of luck really I stumbled on this challenge.. I was looking around to see if there was a method of changing my own personal Dell 745 boot logo. To be honest I thought the $3k wasn't serious, so if I only changed my own machine the time spent was worth it!

Now just wanted to give you a bit of an update....
I can change my 745 logo pretty quickly and am still using this for quick tests. I've worked out how to resize the image to 408x408 pixels, still messing around with the limited colours!

Einstein9 has supplied me with a copy of his customers logo, which has required alot of tweaking to get the resolution and palette down to something the Dell's accept. This has been successfully injected into a 755 Bios Update and the customer seems happy with the result.

Initally I was told the customer was using 755's (which checksum is very different to the 745), we've now been asked to do 780's as well! Yet more headaches, but I think i've CRC it - just awaiting some machines to give it a go!

We're also jointly looking at ways to license the number of installations as the customer said 2000 workstations but now comming back with 8000, so checking out a usb product that count (and limits) the amount of times the customised bios update can be run.

Out of personal interest - did anyone else come close to working the logo out???? I don't mind sharing my infomation once signed off and paid!

LOllett

heheh, i got it done while your working its ready :idea:

PostPosted: September 16th, 2010, 10:10 

best bet is to run the BIOS update via PXE boot from a central server with 8000k !

PostPosted: September 16th, 2010, 10:37 

PXE is an normally used for thin client booting or o/s rebuilds i.e. RIS or GHOST which then relies on the end use pressing F12 and selecting PXE boot.

If they're all connected to the Active Directory domain or Novell EDirectory, then is can be pushed out automatically via Group Policy / Microsoft SMS / SCOM, Landesk, etc without user interaction.
Dell also have a great product called the Dell Management Console (which we use here) which can deploy workstations bios updates automatically.

But I think as they increased the workstation count x 4, extra revenue needs to be considered - i.e. if you give them 755 / 780 bios update "as is" they use it on as many machines without paying extra.

LOllett

PostPosted: September 16th, 2010, 14:22 

I use PXE boot for BIOS upgrade and disk erasure myself except I still have to get into the BIOS if PXEBoot is not enabled :(

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 23:01 

There is a util to extract dell bios and pack it again and it fixes the cheksum auto, i guess you've found it :) And there is a way to reallocate the image and use a bigger one ( if you need )
a lot of work on bios modding was done because of slic and there are quite a bit of tools and info on structure, offsets and how to do realocation so the "project" is not exactly hard to do... one way is to change DELL.BMP and/or ESTAR.BMP, but you can place the image in the bootsector and get 640x480 and actually there is an Dell OEM software for exactly that - just search for it :)

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 5:51 

afrin wrote:
There is a util to extract dell bios and pack it again and it fixes the cheksum auto, i guess you've found it :) And there is a way to reallocate the image and use a bigger one ( if you need )
a lot of work on bios modding was done because of slic and there are quite a bit of tools and info on structure, offsets and how to do realocation so the "project" is not exactly hard to do... one way is to change DELL.BMP and/or ESTAR.BMP, but you can place the image in the bootsector and get 640x480 and actually there is an Dell OEM software for exactly that - just search for it :)

thnx for the reply and info. here , but this subject is closed and i already made a deal and its been DONE

and trust me, it is not as easy as it looks
read more in Dell about this issue.

and thnx again

PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 4:20 

I Will Open the Same Subject Again here guys, since Mr. Lee is not replying for 4 days.
for now, any one welcome till Mr. Lee replies but anyone comes before with a solution
will have it guys.

btw, Time is Short again here
thnx

PM for experts plz

PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 4:46 

Sorry forgot to mention the Machine is Dell Optiplex 780 not 755

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 11:02 

Sorry mate, been offline for a couple of days... I've sent you the 780 file and a picutre of it working.... Also see picture attached here!

Lee

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 13:27 

Well, worked it out! The Optiplex 780 have two logo's - one normal screen, another for wide screen!
Einstein has confirmed with a normal monitor my demo works fine, but one a wide screen it reverts to the standard Dell Logo.

Working on changing the widescreen image now!

Lee

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 14:50 

lollett wrote:
Well, worked it out! The Optiplex 780 have two logo's - one normal screen, another for wide screen!
Einstein has confirmed with a normal monitor my demo works fine, but one a wide screen it reverts to the standard Dell Logo.

Working on changing the widescreen image now!

Lee

From the picture you have posted, I see that the logo is upside down! :wink:

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 10:50 

Lollett,

Is there any possibility of getting a procedure to do this? I have a couple optiplex`s at home that I would love to do the same on and I have as of yet not found anything that will work until I found this thread... but alas, the thread ends without the solution being displayed for everyone to see!

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 11:04 

Afrin,

I would also love to have the information you mention in your last post here too in regards to repacking the bios file. Any help would be appreciated.

I wish I could remember offhand which optiplexes they are that I have at home. They may be slim 755`s if that helps at all Lollett.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2016, 9:08 

Hi Lollett- Wondering if you still check this ancient post? I have a question about a Optiplex 755 bios, and wondering if you could give me some advice- Thank you very much! JohnBen