All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dell Optiplex 755 Bios Logo Challenge - for Experts plz
PostPosted: September 11th, 2010, 12:19 

Dear Experts

I got a request from one of the Companies here for more than 2000 Dell Machines which they wanted to change the Bios Logo from Dell to their own customizes Logo.

Now, here is the scenario,

I contacted Dell and they did not provide me with what i wanted, and tried to contact few companies/friends experts in Bios Customization but most of them cannot or maybe do not want to do it.

1st. here is the link for the Dell Official BIOS file: http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... eid=253423

it is 2MB Phoenix Bios, the actual size of the Bios is 512k i managed to extract it from the provided link, I used Phoenix Bios Editor Pro as usual to modify the Logo but Dell made a special issue for this matter.

On the MB there is a 32MB chip which includes the Bios file + some Additional info. they made it like that to protect their privacy, well i know for sure there is another reverse eng. way to solve this problem.

If Any of you knows about this am offering 3000$ for the Solution provided in details, i bought few machines from the same model to testing which am already working on.

Please, do not give stupid advices, i really prefer Professionals on this field, i have my own Eprom Programmer and am still trying to figure out how to flash back the Bios with the demo logo that i made for the presentation.

Now, you can refer to the Link i provided and download the Bios Update File and try to find a way to replace the Bios logo with any demo logo you design, if it works, then we will go for the payment and the rest of the details.

my deadline is 20 days from today, by the end of this month. i really hope someone knows or ever tried this.

by the way, we will never update the Bios Again its only once

PM with your email if you have the solution for this.

thank you

Post subject: Re: Dell Optiplex 755 Bios Logo Challenge - for Experts plz
PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 7:05 

Some BIOS's allow you to reflash the splash image,

but a lot don't because the image is part of the checksum that the BIOS uses to validate itself
when starting up
so if you change the dell logo it will not work
because the checksum is wrong.

main reason why dell has its own bios is that they want to keep some information a secret
which is on the bios
which contains the history of the pc system and it services ids numbers
allso dell buys bulk licence from microsoft

so that another reason why they use there own bios if you have a pirate copy of windows made for dell this will work 100%
as windows will pickup the information that is correct in the bios of the dell machine.

the Additional info on the flash chip will be the service tag and assist

i would try a program called Phoenix Bios Mod Tool

but try this it should work below if you follow these instructions

download Phoenix bios editor 2.2

then download WinPhlash

go to your computer manufacturers page and download a new copy of your BIOS

Get just the bios.bin file put this on your desktop

Open Phoenix BIOS editor and click top left icon (open folder) to open bios file, select your bios.bin file from the desktop.
After it loads your BIOS click the green computer icon at the top to go to your splash screen settings

now you should see palette, script, prompt, etc tabs.

click through to see your slash screen images. When found export to desktop.

Open your picture in paint

When your done with picture modification move on to the next step.

If you want a totally custom logo make sure it matches the settings of the original picture.
IE height x width, colors, approx. size, etc.
this must match up correct

When you're all done editing your pictures import them with the import button into the correct (same) area.
Click file, build BIOS.
If it is successful save it as newbios.bin on your desktop.

Next step is to flash your new BIOS into your PC.

I would use WinPhlash, it works well if you modify the ini file to use it manually.

Some advanced settings also need to be changed before the flash,
uncheck "version is different" and newer than system
especially if you have up to date BIOS or it won't flash.

reboot and cross your fingers you didn't destroy the bios
You should now have a custom BIOS logo

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 7:43 

hehehe

wish that its as easy as you mentioned my friend, but will never work this way

many thnx

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 10:45 

You will struggle with that.
Like craig said- there is allot more information embedded in the bios.
I have CD's and DVD's with OS's that activate them selves as long as its a Dell Bios.

If you can find where the Dell logo is stored- and create a logo identical size to the dell one and swap it that could possibly "bypass" the size check.
Maybe you can find where "green energy" logo is stored and put your logo there-and enable it on bios boot. that is mostly obsolete now a days but maybe on your mb's it is possible.

Dell will never provide you with any help like that- Security is priority with them and downloading their Bios's could be seen as an "bad" act.

But hey- Monday i will try it on one of my Dells- lets see what the hell they have done.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 11:50 

Hi Einstein9,

I'm nearly there... You should be able to change the blue "DELL" picture as i've extracted it from O755-A10.exe
Is this what you after as it's not changing the entire image like "Dell Portables POST Bitmap Update Program"?

There could be some limitations, but can't be too sure until I get the image reinjected into the bios update:
- BMP Format
- Image Width 408 pixels
- Image Height 122 pixels
- Palette 16 Colours

LOllett

BTW: Your notice it's upside down and back to front. As I understand it, its how the hardware reads it directly into video.

Attachments:
O755-A10_DELL.ZIP [1.92 KiB]
Downloaded 1399 times

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 12:29 

lollett wrote:
Hi Einstein9,

I'm nearly there... You should be able to change the blue "DELL" picture as i've extracted it from O755-A10.exe
Is this what you after as it's not changing the entire image like "Dell Portables POST Bitmap Update Program"?

There could be some limitations, but can't be too sure until I get the image reinjected into the bios update:
- BMP Format
- Image Width 408 pixels
- Image Height 122 pixels
- Palette 16 Colours

LOllett

BTW: Your notice it's upside down and back to front. As I understand it, its how the hardware reads it directly into video.

Wow, finally we found someone with something

first of all Yes this is what am looking for if Full Screen is not possible never mind, the Company who asked me about this Task needed their Logo @ the startup which is more than enough.

For now, if its possible for you to replace the DELL Logo with anything else like the word: "DEMO" only
and inject it back to the excuatable and send me the file so i can try it with the DELL machine here and see how it goes.

If its working then i will Present this after tomorrow since its before my deadline and as soon as i get the verbal approval which can be considered done, we will talk about the payment issue

and many thnx for the work really many thnx

waiting for your reply

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 15:15 

Ok, i've succeeded re-injected the bmp back into the flash!!!

I've only got a Dell optiplex 745 here home, but as a test i've changed the Post Dell logo to all black!

Checkout this video here of my 745 booting: http://www.mediafire.com/?3sfatr9q2vx5vff

I'm now going to work on your "DEMO" logo as the 745 and 755 share the same image format.

Finally I'll test at work as there are a couple of 755, unless you want to risk a quick test now with a blank logo???

LOllett

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 15:16 

Ok, i've succeeded re-injected the bmp back into the flash!!!

I've only got a Dell optiplex 745 here home, but as a test i've changed the Post Dell logo to all black!

I'm now going to work on your "DEMO" logo as the 745 and 755 share the same image format.

Finally I'll test at work as there are a couple of 755, unless you want to risk a quick test now with a blank logo???

LOllett

BTW: Check your PM as i've just sent you a mediafire link showing my 745 booting

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 17:05 

you might be able to change the image file

but there will be some limitations possible not stable bios
and other problems
as it is a dell bios system

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 17:07 

Ok, just finished. Bios logo on my 745 says Demo - PM'd you a video.

Going to start on the 755 "DEMO" BIOS now.

LOllett

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 17:14 

Wow what a challenge! :D

Unfortunately it is to late for me to start from the beginning. :D

I have done similar about 8-9 years before, where was no downloadabel update tool, and i needed to use EEPROM writer because the MBs can't flash the bios itself. :D

Janos

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 17:26 

craig6928 wrote:

and other problems

Hi Craig,

This should be pretty safe as I'm using very much the same method as the Slic 2.1 update (in use by millions of users), except i'm not updating the ACPI tables just the section containing the BMP.

To be honest I did start using Phoenix Bios Mod tool, which extracts and breaks down the .HDR and you can find an encoded BMP which won't open directly after being extracted.

The re-inject couldn't use Phoenix Bios Mod Tool as it only updates the SLIC 2.1 info and nothing else, so used other utilities to re-inject,checksum and repack the exe so its back into a state that can be flashed.

I'll leave this upto Einstein9 to publish the complete solution once documented as he's paying the bill!

Video here: hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?l47xi7pt91h55z7
(Change hxxp to http as the board moderates links)

LOllett

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 17:31 

craig6928 wrote:

and other problems

Hi Craig,

This should be pretty safe as I'm using very much the same method as the Slic 2.1 update (in use by millions of users), except i'm not updating the ACPI tables just the section containing the BMP.

To be honest I did start using Phoenix Bios Mod tool, which extracts and breaks down the .HDR and you can find an encoded BMP which won't open directly after being extracted.

The re-inject couldn't use Phoenix Bios Mod Tool as it only updates the SLIC 2.1 info and nothing else, so used other utilities to re-inject,checksum and repack the exe so its back into a state that can be flashed.

I'll leave this upto Einstein9 to publish the complete solution once documented as he's paying the bill!

Video here: h_t_t_p_:_//_www_._mediafire_._com_/?l47xi7pt91h55z7
(Remove the _ as the board moderates links)

LOllett

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 18:02 

N.C. wrote:
I have done similar about 8-9 years before, where was no downloadabel update tool, and i needed to use EEPROM writer because the MBs can't flash the bios itself. :D

Hi N.C.

Another real techie! I've done something similar a few years back on the Dell Latitudes when they used 8pin 24LC series eeproms. I hate to try and remove the 745/755 25L series flash as it's so tight in there your liable to migrate solder from the components packed around it even with the decent hot air solder station I have acces too.

I'll PM Einstein9 a 755 "DEMO" flash update shortly so watch this space....

LOllett

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 19:54 

Just completed the 755 - Oddly the original unmodded bios doesn't checksum (even A01 through to A17).
After some research it appears the SLIC 2.1 doesn't checksum aswell - eitherway both checkout fine in the Phoenix Bios Mod Tool.

Going to test at work in the morning - otherwise expect feedback from Einstein9.

Night all....

PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 20:07 

AFAICT, motherboards with SPI BIOS EEPROMs appear to have a programming header. I recently assisted a Dell owner in recovering from a failed BIOS update on a Dell (Foxconn) motherboard. In that case there was a 10-pin SPI header adjacent to an SPI EEPROM, plus what appeared to be a vacant location for an additional SPI EEPROM.

FWIW, here is a procedure for an Asus motherboard using freeware and inexpensive hardware:
http://mondotech.blogspot.com/2009/05/a ... flash.html

You should be able to determine the pinout in your particular case, and hook up your device programmer to the header.

BTW, in the abovementioned case the BIOS was AMI, the EEPROM was a 64Mbit, 3.3V Macronix MX25L6445E, and the BIOS image was 1Mbyte. As in einstein's case, the chip is 8 times larger than the BIOS .bin.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2010, 4:01 

That would be another interesting way if we didn't have Dells Bios update utility...but i'm guessing parts of the flash may still compressed so you'd have to dump the lot and find the address of what needs to be modified.

Out of interest I poped the lid on my 745 and sure enough "Foxconn" sticker quickly found the SPI_FLASH next to the battery which is indeed a MX25L800 8M-BIT [8M x 1] CMOS SERIAL FLASH EEPROM.

No obvious (labeled) sign of the SPI header unless the 10pin internal USB connector doubles up as usb only uses 4 wires.

fzabkar, is this the correct? Otherwise it's time for some more research!

I was also starting to think bios password recovery, until the obvious struck me - the PWSD password removal jumper! :lol:

PostPosted: September 13th, 2010, 4:36 

Here are the photos that the owner provided:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/temp/J_SPI1_B.JPG
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/temp/J_SPI1_A.JPG

See the J_SPI1 header location near the buzzer. The EEPROM is to the right of the header, and below the buzzer.

Here is a photo I found on the Net:
http://www.it-pifa.com/images/Maindboar ... CN1770.jpg

PostPosted: September 13th, 2010, 9:00 

Oh dear,

Got into the office and attempted to flash a 755 with v0.1 didn't work :(
I'm guessing it's the checksum causing an issue... Going to recheck the CRC method.

LOllett

PostPosted: September 13th, 2010, 11:25 

Hmmm only just seen this. Is the job done or still open?