All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cloud and the future of data recovery
PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 15:08 

What do u think ppl. Will Cloud be the end of the industry ?

Post subject: Re: Cloud and the future of data recovery
PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 16:19 

No. Regardless of how easy it is or would be or could be, people will still keep doing things they way they have always done them.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 18:10 

Google has already made a great imapct on storing data online. As soon as google net books go main stream .. people wont care about hard drive.. in countries with little or expensive internet.. no option but to store on hdds.
But i think this is something that we could start feeling in about 5-7 years time in some states and Most of EU (fibre optics is already rolled out in EU and open zones are very popular in bigger towns cities)

Who knows what will happen. You gotta ro remember SSD's are also coming soon.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 19:27 

do not know if that is so simply like that.

People will put they "data" is some datacenters .... it can be hacked the data is gone, or other things the server get down and the data is lost...

The companys i am not see put they value data , clients , invoices, etc... in a server outside the company...

That´s my idyea at the moment.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 11:37 

Huge businesses will not use Cloud at the start for sure. They tend to be
A) Conservative
b) Legal issues about Cloud and the sensetive info

However at least in the shop i work at , hipsters with no backup are a good revenue. Going to lose most of those =)

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 11:59 

Alexii wrote:
However at least in the shop i work at , hipsters with no backup are a good revenue

Surprised they're willing to pay money for things... :wink:

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 12:04 

Cloud is mainly intended for APPS not DATA. In any case I won't trust storing sensitive data on a remote datacenter where a disk can fail and.... even if it has no discontinuity of service on end user because of redundancy and backups, .... where do the disk end ? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 13:09 

drc wrote:
Alexii wrote:
However at least in the shop i work at , hipsters with no backup are a good revenue

Surprised they're willing to pay money for things... :wink:

Dont confuse hippies and hipsters =) Hipsters shell out thousands on their stupid MAC toys and Iphones. They can afford to pay for data recovery =)

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 13:18 

BlackST wrote:
Cloud is mainly intended for APPS not DATA. In any case I won't trust storing sensitive data on a remote datacenter where a disk can fail and.... even if it has no discontinuity of service on end user because of redundancy and backups, .... where do the disk end ? :mrgreen:

Its like a return to inosense. We used to have huge mainframes with a terminal to acess it. Then the IBM revolutionised computers with a PC. Now PC will become a terminal to acess cloud... Sad day.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 14:04 

I do not think it is that simple to hack into data clouds stored in datacentres.

The backbone on have data is stored, encrypted and managed should be investigated first for business'es

Firstly i would not store sensitive data on Windows based VM's or Architectures because security can be broken within 2 minutes if you are on site.
If you use weak passwords like the same passwords for banking, email and wireless routers... you are bound to get effed in the arse sooner or later.. Using strong typed passwords with minumum of 12 characters and 256bit AES only the new super computer in china will be able to crack it in a year. Your pc - maybe something like 100+ years brute forcing it.
All data centers like, rapidshare, dropbox, picasaweb, youtube uses private RSA keys to encrypt data 128/256bits - so if you have access to one of these computers directly or hacked into - you wont be able to brwose to C:\very-important\data ! The only way to decrypt the data is with your password which should be 12character long and strong type. This is why linux based servers are the best as any account created cannot be accessed by lower priviliged accounts - or even by admins if permissions are denied. You cannot jsut browse to /usr/topsecret/documents and copy all of it like on a windows based platform and then hack the permissions.

Storing data to the internet should be a priority and should be with a trusted company (how times have you seen google crash/ time-out on you? ) I would start with them because your data is replicated at least 3 times across 2 continents over a minimum of 4-6 hash farms. (cloud VM's containing parts of your information and only rebuilt on request, not the other hash meaning....... )

Google has a business centre that handles all these features - you just need to call them up. You dont need servers in your basement any more and soon you wont even need a hard drive in your computer.. just internet .. So you will be able to use a crappy old pentium D 1.6Ghz with no hard drive, 1gb ram and Android system and have the benefit of a full blown data cetnre, domain exchange, voip, adn VPN just using your ADSL. for x$ a month.... (and you wont need to pay for shitty windows any more ..)
Just make sure you buy a DSL/ADSL router with 3G backup connection and your sorted.. The future is now.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 15:17 

Alexii wrote:
Dont confuse hippies and hipsters =) Hipsters shell out thousands on their stupid MAC toys and Iphones. They can afford to pay for data recovery =)

No they can't : they spent all the money in their stupid toys. :mrgreen:

Here it's an helluva of Ipad, Iphones, plasma TV , cars and hi-tech dild... ehm, gizmos bought at high price and usually paid month by month on credit plan, often with people who choose not to eat decently to have the latest gadget... and when they crack it or they need service... "eh, uhm... ah... I will think about it" :D

People are so often crazy .

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 6:50 

ppumkin wrote:
ppumkin
Then what is the conclusion is cloud computing not good for Data recovery professional ???

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 20:07 

I personally don't see cloud computing taking over completely.

What if your net goes down? What If there is a storm and power is lost?

you may have been able to run generator, or run off battery of UPC, or notebook and still work on your files, but if it is all stored on a cloud then....no work for you!

I think cloud has it's benefits... Would be nice to carry around a netbook that can play all the latest games since you can just let the cloud do all the lifting (that brings a whole new discussion about latency and input delay, etc though.)

anyways... I don't see cloud causing any kind of "noticeable" negative effects in the near future; we have at least a decade before that happens I think.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2010, 5:17 

IF you life in a rural area then cloud is less accessible (dial up internet and gprs wirless broadband speed) will criplle your experience.
USA - Sony and Google just released its Internet TV. UK Due Feb 2011.And am i getting one!
This TV is the pinnacle of cloud copmuting! I will be able to play games on it from a server computer anywhere in the world (broadband 512kb+) with full 25fps framerate and low latency! Use any device in house directly and instantly (NAS, Xbox, Playstation, iTunes Serve, Google Apps, Andriod Shop)

THe fact that I personllay store all my documents and photos, videos on online secure servers i dont crap my pants when my home nas goes down. No need to downlaod and horde movies and series like back in the day. Now jsut 5 bucks watch all you want when you want on the press of a button (like V+ box but better)

I think that DR companies will get less end user dr cases- its difficult to say with commercial units. If they have a good IT guy that is redundant and uses backup technologies they will never see a DR guy. If the IT guys is some schmak from a village then all hope is lost and $$$ is going to be made.

DR wont die-- just the weak companies will die off...

PostPosted: November 24th, 2010, 12:55 

I would seriously doubt that.

You can try Onlive for free right now, and I have a 15Mb/2Mb connection in my home, and even that isn't lag free. It is noticeably delayed.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2010, 17:24 

As most of the data we are recovering is in the hundreds of GBs, the cloud is way too slow and expensive to be viable for most users. I don't foresee bandwidth increasing fast enough to keep up with the increasing storage needs.

So, my vote is, "No. I don't see any threat to the data recovery industry because of the cloud."

PostPosted: November 25th, 2010, 13:04 

Just attended a Microsoft Conference today about the roll-out of windows server 2008 R2. The main topic is cloud computing for the end user.
What was the main driver for this development.
"Oh, my hard drive crashed and all my work is lost..."
Laptop stolen, crashed, fell, blew up , water damge... etc etc etc

Some key features of 2008R2 / Essentials
"Remote desktop Service" Full 3d rendreing on Server based machine via network/wan at full HD framrate using some codec developed by Microsoft were apparently Blu-Ray used to develop the final codec.

Full Backup on the go- any of the above things happen to your pc/notebook- there is always a 1 hour upto date Image of the machin. Bin old hdd,insert Windows 7/start repair console via usb pen drive restore notebook (hardware independant) back as it was to the hour(or minute if tweaked)

So many more features that enable cloud copmuting and caching so that data is replicated atleast twice so that any damage to end user- just take another machine log in- bam its all there. Via dialup/mobile broadband or wifi across the globe.

Nice feature on Windows 2008 R2 - Dynamic Expansion. Running out of hdd space, plug a usb3/2 hdd / nas / usb flash disk/ click 3 buttons and your hard drive grows in size by a certian factor(any 1 drive files in the array and the data is fully recovareble) Microsft literally killed of hardware raid!

This is proof that cloud computing is killing of end user fault tolerance. If it crashed- bin it- new one and the system does not have to great. can be any machine running on windows 7..

Aspect of commercial businesses-- well thats to the Pro's- any massive blow out and Disaster recovery has to enforced with no price tag..

The way we store things is changing.... end users are going to be elimated from the DR scene soon.

It might not kill the DR but changes are on the way and many DR companies wont survive because they are too "low tech"

EU Has briallinat broadband infrastructure. US is massive and ever more developing and deploying.. The rest of the world is struggling to keep up...

Ultimately, I would have to vote NO as well, but there will be less room for newbies..

PostPosted: November 25th, 2010, 13:31 

Not all EU have brilliant broadband infastructure. Italy is a complete disaster, for example : excellent areas and still a lot of places where BB is a chimera (have to use ISDN or dialup !), I can write a book on the subject.

And Server 2008 is not for everyone.

Don't mix "future", "possible future" and "things for everyday"...

PostPosted: November 25th, 2010, 19:58 

Yes we all know that infrastructure varies form place to place. There are still places in UK where dialup does not always work.
Server 2008 is not made for end users to install it on their home laptop computer. but it supports cloud technology for the END USER- al he has to do is put his email, pay by paypal/credit card/ click a button and he play games on his COD4 on his P4 machine if he has a broadband band connection.

Its not only Windows Server, but Chromios, and Mac servers and Linux rolling out these features. The fact is that TODAY the internet is run by servers of all types and the end user does not need to know peanuts about that.

Possible future- no more hard drives inside modern computers. Some nice fast SSD 16gb/32gb to have your favourite OS and pull data of the cloud.

Things for everyday.. that depends where you live and how much you earn and mostly how much oil is in your brain.

Half my life i lived in an area where for me broadband was considered more valuable than the platinum mined from under me... Another thing that is desperately being worked on is trying to deploy these features in to places/ countries like that.
Microsoft have rolled out ["something" forgot now] cache that is pretty clever solution to slow interweb connection problem. Does not solve the problem fully but its a start...