Seeing to many DIY jobs 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: online back could slowly destroy data recovery companys
PostPosted: August 17th, 2013, 8:12 

this was in a uk report which magazine about data recovery companys
how slowly.

online back and cloud storage and data stored on other devices
is taking over.
more and more people are learning about how to backup there photos or information online.

people are turning away from big companys like ontrack to do there data recovery work.
these company had the monoply for all these years.
which charges thousands of pounds.

now its turning against them and people dont want to pay anymore for there data they are going to private run business like computer shops or
trying to fix there drive DIY.

companys that have overheads will slowly close down
you are only safe if you dont have the below

dont rent a building / you own it

hiring employees / do the work yourself

some data recovery companys want to get a pyramid scheme
where they tell others join our network for so much a month and bring the work to use direct
and we pay you for doing this.

Post subject: Re: online back could slowly destroy data recovery companys
PostPosted: August 17th, 2013, 13:55 

Sure it can get less work to DR companies.
But I think we will have always work.

About the prices, this his crossing all works/jobs. We were living beyond our lives. It's time to get it to the real values or else someone will do it.
I don't mean very cheap, but those jobs of 4/5k or more in DR, will only be in very special cases.

craig6928 wrote:
where they tell others join our network for so much a month and bring the work to use direct

How do this work?!!?!? Never heard of...

PostPosted: August 17th, 2013, 21:35 

pclab wrote:
Sure it can get less work to DR companies.
But I think we will have always work.

About the prices, this his crossing all works/jobs. We were living beyond our lives. It's time to get it to the real values or else someone will do it.
I don't mean very cheap, but those jobs of 4/5k or more in DR, will only be in very special cases.

craig6928 wrote:

How do this work?!!?!? Never heard of...

pyramid scheme might be the wrong term, more like computer repair shops will outsource to a DR Company. I think that's what Craig Means.

I have seen it here, in our city I don't think we have any DR companies, but we have a lot of people offering DR..

BTW It does happen because in fact I am looking for a company here in Adelaide that does Proper real honest to goodness DR work on Hard Disks for outsourcing to.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 0:01 

hello sorry yes outsource the work to other companys
dealers price
a company asked us to join there network for so much money a month or a year

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 15:38 

What I have seen is the "master" DR company will give PC shops and other less technical DR Outfits some marketing stuff, business cards for their counter and flyers, and also give the PC Shop express service for free and other benefits in return for the outsourcing to them. With the no recover no fee as well.

I guess that different parts of the world, different companies would have different circumstances to take up offers such as Craigs. What might be a waste of time and effort to 95% might make perfect sense to a small percent of DR companies.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 16:33 

craig6928 wrote:

Scamway calls it "multi-level marketing". The term "pyramid scheme" has a stench to it, at least here in Australia. Both terms are odorous to some. I suggest you engage a PR firm to design your marketing strategy, or at least choose your words more carefully.

As for online storage, I don't understand how people can trust it. You may want to use it temporarily to backup your holiday snaps while travelling (suitably encrypted), but would you want to leave your data there for the long term? Personally I expect that it won't be too long before SSD technology (not necessarily flash) becomes cheap enough and ubiquitous enough to completely displace rotating storage, and cloud storage. The prospect of 1TB per chip is being touted by some chip manufacturers, so surely the HDD's days are numbered?

That said, I'm wondering just how much storage a single individual really needs? So far there appears to have been a kind of Parkinsons Law of Storage, namely that data grows to fill the capacity available to it. But where will it end? Do we really need to have the sum total of human knowledge on a pen drive at the end of our key chain?

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 18:30 

Over the last several years I've been giving away USB disks or JumpDrives to everyone I know. Along with a freeware sync and imaging program.

I explain the importance of backups and teach them that there is no substitute for a 2nd copy offline. I explain that disaster can strike at any time, because of user stupidity, theft, component failure, or other reasons.

The selection criteria is simple, backup anything you can't replace and want to keep forever.

Sometimes I explain what is not a backup, like double emailing, or transferring haphazardly to other cloud devices like phablets and online storage lockers. I emphasize that the "cloud" is a short-term solution made for convenience or to be used in a pinch and for sharing purposes.

This has been a far more rewarding way of conducting affairs and gets one a good reputation as well. Often times I'm called upon to execute those "backup plans" or check them out. Or restore back from them.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 18:53 

The fact that DR companies actually exist is testament to the fact people cannot be bothered with "mundane" tasks such as regular housekeeping/backup.

Even with automation, cloud is just another medium for people to "mean" to back up to or implement incorrectly.

Haven't we all heard various renditions of:

It was about to back up when ....

I *moved* all my important files to this portable (i bounce around in my bag day upon day), now it's clicking...

I just walked past the laptop and caught the usb pen and it ripped out ....

We make regular tape backups. the tech guy said we should replace the tapes every few months, well .. we had these for like 7 yrs....

We back up "My Documents" daily. No one thought about the Desktop, or the Sage folder ...

The backup drive was taking too long to move the files over, i know i shouldn't have but i unplugged....

My (significant other) found <this> on the laptop and during the ensuing row ...

Windows said to reformat the drive so....

We took this to our local PC shop and after 5 days of testing it, he said its no good ...

Cloud? naaaahhhh!

Kern

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 21:32 

cloud base is taking off in a big way now
they might have backups on hard drive
but a lot now are using cloud systems.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2013, 21:37 

fzabkar wrote:
craig6928 wrote:

Scamway calls it "multi-level marketing". The term "pyramid scheme" has a stench to it, at least here in Australia. Both terms are odorous to some. I suggest you engage a PR firm to design your marketing strategy, or at least choose your words more carefully.

As for online storage, I don't understand how people can trust it. You may want to use it temporarily to backup your holiday snaps while travelling (suitably encrypted), but would you want to leave your data there for the long term? Personally I expect that it won't be too long before SSD technology (not necessarily flash) becomes cheap enough and ubiquitous enough to completely displace rotating storage, and cloud storage. The prospect of 1TB per chip is being touted by some chip manufacturers, so surely the HDD's days are numbered?

That said, I'm wondering just how much storage a single individual really needs? So far there appears to have been a kind of Parkinsons Law of Storage, namely that data grows to fill the capacity available to it. But where will it end? Do we really need to have the sum total of human knowledge on a pen drive at the end of our key chain?

ok what people dont understand about cloud base system your data is there on the net
anyone can look at your data.
but what the company dont tell you is that in there terms and condition
that they are not responsible if the data has gone or gone down because of server issues

example

well known company in the usa paid to have there systems backup every single day
by cloud base system.

something happens and they ask the company for the backup data.

company tells them oh we dont have any of that data

and that was like 6 months worth nothing

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 0:08 

craig6928 wrote:
ok what people dont understand about cloud base system your data is there on the net
anyone can look at your data.
but what the company dont tell you is that in there terms and condition
that they are not responsible if the data has gone or gone down because of server issues

example

well known company in the usa paid to have there systems backup every single day
by cloud base system.

something happens and they ask the company for the backup data.

company tells them oh we dont have any of that data

and that was like 6 months worth nothing

Thats BS, the security of the backups are not any different than where they are now, in fact possibly better. Are you saying the data at your business is safer than the data on a cloud storage provider. It is a case of individual circumstance, not able to be blanketed like this. Yes you can hack a cloud, but it is not "sitting around for everyone to see"
Go try hack a cloud storage and Ill visit you in jail or bring you coffee while you are still trying 4 weeks later ;)

personal or SOHO NAS and SAN is a totally different story.

And,
Quote:
what the company dont tell you is that in there terms and condition

You contradicted yourself.. they DO tell you, it is in their terms and conditions. The customer failed to read and understand it.

That said, I dont trust cloud storage either. I would much rather have it sitting on my shelf on a hdd.

as for DR companies going down the tube, Cloud storage put your data on disks of some kind that also fail.

My 5c(2c arent used in AU anymore)

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 5:41 

Data loss is usually down to a "pebcac" scenario.

It still needs someone to initiate, maintain & enforce a data backup / business continuity policy.

Some Co's say "it doesn't affect us, we store Co. data on servers and they have raid redundancy" ... and we all know DR Co's never need to recover raid do they?

Keep your friends close, your data closer.

*pebcac acronym "problem exists between chair and computer".

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 9:09 

I don't see online backup putting anyone out of business. Reduction in work? Sure.

The main question is how many cloud backup providers will seek pro-level help when part of the database is lost to hardware failure? Or will they just take a loss, and in doing that, upset an insignificant couple of customers?

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 18:54 

many industries go through changes. Sorts the men from the Boys. trick is to not be surprise and caught out by industry changes, but to adapt.

a few major ones :
Exposure cameras : Digital cameras. Companies like Kodak, Nikon, Olympus etc got a wake-up call.
VCR : DVD and other digital media
Floppy disc :DVD : DVDW : FLASH : Etc