All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need to repair lots of HDD. data recovery not important
PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 7:22 

hi,

I am HDD seller. I sell pulled out and used HDD in 1 year warranty. I have many HDD (around 1K) which have bad sector, not detecting, click noise, slow formatting. etc. I want to know if i can repair this hard drives so that it can work for another 4-6 months. can I block/hide some bad sector so it can work smoothly without accessing bad sector area. I can buy any products for this work. i have only seagate and WD.

Post subject: Re: need to repair lots of HDD. data recovery not important
PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 8:29 

so you want to sell dodgy hard drives to people that will fail after around 6 months? unfknblvbl

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 12:03 

i couldnt make myself clear as my English is not good. i want to give them as replacement when drive just have 1-2 month warranty. i cant give them new one. and this are low capacity hdd like 80gb, 160gb and max 250gb. which are not available as new in india. around 80% people self damage hdd when warranty is about to expire so they can get new one. so to outsmart them i have to do this. got it? this 1000+ drive are what i got in return after selling 2600pcs. i dont think this much rejection in pulled out drive from USA. I bought from reputed dealers. I dont tell them that this are new HDD. they know this are pulled out as new one are not manufacturing. i basically sell low end pc and even in used PC end user want warranty. i hope u guys get the idea. if this idea would be wrong i would have not ask it coz i know nobody teach u cheating.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 19:07 

This is a terrible idea. If you know users, you will know that they would not do the proper fail safes to make sure they don't lose their data when the drive fails again. IMHO the work involved to do this, and the potentially negative reputation you stand to bring apon your self, for the relatively small return... Is not worth it.

When a drive fails, what do users want back? money? another hard drive? comfort that the drive that failed was cheap? NO they want their DATA, and you cant guarantee that if you knowingly sell them a crappy drive.

Better to put the drives on ebay, a few a week with true description and let people buy them, it is amazing how people will fight over faulty stuff thinking they can get a bargain.

Also, 1,000 drives... there is going to be so many different issues with these collectively that it should be obvious you are going to need to know a massive range of solutions. One solution does definitely NOT fix all. What you are basically wanting is to be taught everything about HDD repair.

Sure you can buy products to fix some of them, you don't need this forum to show you that. ACE Labs, Salvation Data etc etc

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2014, 0:13 

if u want to repair hdd then worlds best tools for hdd repairing are as follows
WD advanced = SEDIV
wd normal = WDR UDMA
Seagate = salvation doctor
hitachi = MRT
samsung = SRT
toshiba = no tool avaliable for repairing hdds

Regards
Waqas Ali

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2014, 15:41 

waqas_ali766 wrote:
if u want to repair hdd then worlds best tools for hdd repairing are as follows
WD advanced = SEDIV
wd normal = WDR UDMA
Seagate = salvation doctor
hitachi = MRT
samsung = SRT
toshiba = no tool avaliable for repairing hdds

Regards
Waqas Ali

good
there are tools
but where is info ???
so he didn't care about price
so he can buy UDMA
:)

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 0:04 

ALWY wrote:
i couldnt make myself clear as my English is not good. i want to give them as replacement when drive just have 1-2 month warranty. .

Just because a drive has only one or 2 months warranty left, doesnt mean they should get one that could soon fail.

I would have liked it if you said you wanted to go through the 1k drives and try and refurb. If you can get them looking fine after working on them.. great, but otherwise I really think you will regret it.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 2:15 

sorry my mistake .
Hitachi = HRT

and pc3000 is used for data recovery purpose .

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 3:46 

Banned User

ALWY wrote:
hi,

I am HDD seller. I sell pulled out and used HDD in 1 year warranty. I have many HDD (around 1K) which have bad sector, not detecting, click noise, slow formatting. etc. I want to know if i can repair this hard drives so that it can work for another 4-6 months. can I block/hide some bad sector so it can work smoothly without accessing bad sector area. I can buy any products for this work. i have only seagate and WD.

Yes, it's possible to hide the bad sector by the help of RepartitionBadDrive tool, first of all you make a partition with bad sectors and then delete the drive letter from windows disk management, but in my opinion don't sell those HDD, you use it for own only.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 4:05 

philipbooth wrote:
ALWY wrote:
hi,

Yes, it's possible to hide the bad sector by the help of RepartitionBadDrive tool, first of all you make a partition with bad sectors and then delete the drive letter from windows disk management, but in my opinion don't sell those HDD, you use it for own only.

But if he sells the drive he doesn't know what version of windows or even if the buyer is using it in windows, and likely not be administering the end user system

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 5:17 

We have been very negative with the answers to original post.

So what is recommended for this guy that has approx. 1k drives with varying issues?

the way I see it, himself reconning them, if you take into account the time it would take to choose some tools, learn them and learn the nuances of HDD repair, It will be so far into the future, any money taken for the drives wont pay for the tools, let alone the time etc.

Would anyone suggest him commissioning a DR company to recon what they can and sell the rest as a bulk lot or series of bulk lots (before time passes and these drives are worthless)?

any ideas?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2014, 9:01 

HaQue wrote:
What you are basically wanting is to be taught everything about HDD repair.

Sure you can buy products to fix some of them, you don't need this forum to show you that. ACE Labs, Salvation Data etc etc

you got it. I want to learn everything about HDD. I dont mind travelling anywhere in the world. what i want to know that many people in linkedin are buying faulty at good price (much better then scrap price.) so i thought there must be something secret. ok i got it its bad idea to sell this drives. technically i were to selling to those con people. will drop this idea as you now got it what i really mean it. I am building list of all this drive to sold in south India as he is buying at triple price of what i will get in scrap. I dont get it what he is going to do.

not all people want data. only a local Indian will understand what the realty is. India is big country many type of customer.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2014, 8:24 

ALWY wrote:
HaQue wrote:

you got it. I want to learn everything about HDD. I dont mind travelling anywhere in the world. what i want to know that many people in linkedin are buying faulty at good price (much better then scrap price.) so i thought there must be something secret. ok i got it its bad idea to sell this drives. technically i were to selling to those con people. will drop this idea as you now got it what i really mean it. I am building list of all this drive to sold in south India as he is buying at triple price of what i will get in scrap. I dont get it what he is going to do.

not all people want data. only a local Indian will understand what the realty is. India is big country many type of customer.

I understand ripping people off. Just because it happens in India an obscene amount, does not mean you should feel no shame in doing it as well. you can say "technically" or whatever you want, but even if you are just selling to the con people, you still know what is going on, so you share the blame.

Once the money is spent, all you have left is the guilt. Its not worth it man :)

If you really want to learn everything about hard drives, then buy some, read a lot, test a lot and spend the years it will take.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 14:43 

HaQue wrote:
ALWY wrote:
HaQue wrote:

I understand ripping people off. Just because it happens in India an obscene amount, does not mean you should feel no shame in doing it as well. you can say "technically" or whatever you want, but even if you are just selling to the con people, you still know what is going on, so you share the blame.

Once the money is spent, all you have left is the guilt. Its not worth it man :)

If you really want to learn everything about hard drives, then buy some, read a lot, test a lot and spend the years it will take.

actually i wanted to learn about everything in HDD. and I wanted to do what my competitors are doing but you are right. cant live with the guilt but cant survive also in this local market. I am not gonna do this. I got a better plan. now i am on my way to cheat government. its better to steal from thief. :lol:

PostPosted: March 8th, 2014, 5:05 

ok then, advice: don't drop the soap. :shock:

PostPosted: March 10th, 2014, 3:24 

ALWY wrote:
hi,

Hello,
Need to divide this lot to some part according to:
    - Manufactures (WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Toshia, SamSung ...)
    - Type of error: Ready, not ready, click ...
    - Do you have any tools for repairing ? If not, how do you want to repair, outsource or what ?