All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Energy Prices : am I living in a parallel universe?
PostPosted: March 27th, 2014, 15:33 

Sorry to break a board habit and actually post something in the lounge that could not fit easily into another sub-forum, but I was hoping to get a fresh perspective from people who don't normally discuss such things, namely, energy prices. Lot of column inches being used up on this subject. People say prices are too high. People say price comparison sites are too tricky to use. People say energy bills are unfathomable. People say 5% margin is too high.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Energy Prices : am I living in a parallel universe?
PostPosted: March 27th, 2014, 17:02 

yes: cynical ones sadly :)

I think trying to weedle your way to a good deal has little real effect other than to make you feel a bit better about having actually tried.

Whichever way you look at it the consumer is gonna be screwed for every penny as long as the company has "a responsibility to the shareholders" policy. ie maximise profit. Much like any other BigCo i guess.

We bought into one of those mart1n lew1s (UK TV price pundit with a popular *best price* website) suggestions a few yrs back and got a fixed price tariff on the back of "prices will do <such and such>" info, which invariably they didn't and we were stuck in a 18mnth contract.

Being out in the countryside too has its downside as with no gas supply we depend on oil.
Any non regular political activity has a detrimental effect on the price, from 0bama farting in the wrong tone to an arab goat herder raising his voice. So generally we have to monitor trends and make do 'til prices stabilize.

The deep snow & ludicrous profiteering by OilCo's attracted widespread media attention and a govt inquiry a year or so back as homeowners on the brink of empty were charged nearly double the (high) going rate.

Some of the less well off are still reported as having to make "Eat or Heat" decisions.

Well, thats my view of the UK scene anyways.
Any other nations citizens feel like they are being held to ransom over such an essential commodity?

K

Post subject: Re: Energy Prices : am I living in a parallel universe?
PostPosted: March 27th, 2014, 17:08 

Oil, electricity, bah!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-A-Fusion-Reactor/