All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A newbie here....
PostPosted: October 5th, 2014, 8:59 

I'm very new to data recovery and only recovered 5 hard disks using a linux live cd and some freely available software. But after reading many articles, I started loving this challenges with HDDs. Specially I love to solder and desolder. :)

As you guys are very experienced in this, Can you guide me how to start this? where should be my starting point?

Since this is my beginning,Do I have to buy specialized platter changers, head changers? I feel like I'm being stupid here, but 1000s of $$$ is way out of my reach.

this is just a hobby and my day job is to take care of a virtualized data center. And I found this forum as an online university for data recovery. But information is scattered here and there. So please help me.

Any one like to take me as an intern? ;)

Post subject: Re: A newbie here....
PostPosted: October 5th, 2014, 11:07 

Banned User

hello dear welcome to the industry..

its seems good you already recover 5 hdd's your next step should be buy a professional tool to handle firmware issue and other failure. The recommended products are PC3000 or MRT.. i suggest you MRT beacause it is competitive and available on installment.. $450 deposit and $150 a month so when you getting some earning pay them to be active your product.. http://us.mrtlab.com/download/

as a newbie and looking interested in the field i can provide you some free stuff and training contact me on skype: ontrack86

Post subject: Re: A newbie here....
PostPosted: October 5th, 2014, 11:28 

Hi

I think you must start with a good cloning equipment (DDI, ATOLA, ACE DE, MRT DE, DFL, etc...) Many equipments, many prices.
I say this because many cases can be solved with it.
After that you can start to check FW problems (also with almost the same tools). After you can start to play with heads and platters.
Like this, you don't have to spend alot of money at once, and you can gather some money to continue to invest and learn too.
My 2 cents. :mrgreen: