All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how secure is paypal ?
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2014, 22:00 

so some how someone hacked into our paypal account

we dont click on fake emails and we only go to the real pay pal site only
when it got hacked to begin with it was in the news we changed it right away

this happen when we were away and i got the alert and reported it to paypal as a fake scam email
which they confirm in the reply

so after i come home i check the credit card bill and there a list of gift cards
i go on a search for this person and there location which goes to the far east.

someone had some how input there adress in the paypal account and email

but here the weird qeastion is how did they get the password as it was

like this below which is strong password

g/b2m$JlVkk_}\3My~3Yv6K}z

something tell us that people who work at paypal are more likely behind this
so keep an eye for the odd payment and go into the profile to make sure there is only your details there

oh yeah im not a window user so not a trojan or a virus
as im on linux

Post subject: Re: how secure is paypal ?
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2014, 23:19 

I don't think anyone at Paypal is involved.

Linux is not immune to malware, and nor are your iPhones, or if you are crazy enough to have an Android phone, then the highest number of malware by many factors is on Android.. highest of all time and most accelerating also.

If the details are as you say with the password, and you don't have malware, then it is a little curious, but I would absolutely report it to police. The Police cannot stop the crimes if they never get reported. find a cybercrime office, not your local copshop.

malware sucks, and so do the authors

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 5:18 

Linux isn't a silver bullet solution to security woes, just check the latest BASH failing.

It could be a man in the middle attack or a hijacked DNS. *nix wouldn't solve that.

What about Javascript? Mozilla uses that regardless of base OS.

What are you using to store your passwords?
do you have 2 factor auth, ie something you know plus something you physically have?

I would surely discount Paypal as the culprits, the fallout from it would destroy the company if it was insider collusion.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 7:00 

Craig, maybe keep an eye out for any mention of any paypal problems/hacks etc in case it was part of a larger breach, like Target/Home Depot etc.

It is curious though

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 21:29 

HaQue wrote:
Craig, maybe keep an eye out for any mention of any paypal problems/hacks etc in case it was part of a larger breach, like Target/Home Depot etc.

It is curious though

hello no this was well after the breach were they targeted everyone

when you paid for a item on ebay and you paid with paypal it would automatic log you in for payment
once you sign out of ebay your paypal account keeps you log in
so the cookies remain active
i reported to paypal to remove the cookies and get them to expire right away rather then waiting

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 21:36 

digitalferret wrote:
Linux isn't a silver bullet solution to security woes, just check the latest BASH failing.

It could be a man in the middle attack or a hijacked DNS. *nix wouldn't solve that.

What about Javascript? Mozilla uses that regardless of base OS.

What are you using to store your passwords?
do you have 2 factor auth, ie something you know plus something you physically have?

I would surely discount Paypal as the culprits, the fallout from it would destroy the company if it was insider collusion.

password is secure with a encrypted before sign in and also folder is encrypted so if you did get on the system you would need the password to read anything.

use mozilla but also sign in to the correct paypal address with the padlock and also have traffic light install to tell us if the site is secure

paypal like to keep it hush hush as people would never use paypal again
banks are the same if people knew how many time there money went missing and the bank replaces it with out you knowing
you would take your money and run for the hills

have to say with the new security issues with linux it is still secure more then windows or apple or andriod lol
i know it failed the bash
but the system i use is total lock down.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 21:37 

HaQue wrote:
I don't think anyone at Paypal is involved.

Linux is not immune to malware, and nor are your iPhones, or if you are crazy enough to have an Android phone, then the highest number of malware by many factors is on Android.. highest of all time and most accelerating also.

If the details are as you say with the password, and you don't have malware, then it is a little curious, but I would absolutely report it to police. The Police cannot stop the crimes if they never get reported. find a cybercrime office, not your local copshop.

malware sucks, and so do the authors

forgot to say the police do not care about paypal and there not a lot of malware out for linux its mostly windows based

PostPosted: October 4th, 2014, 4:57 

craig6928 wrote:
HaQue wrote:

It is curious though

craig6928 wrote:
hello no this was well after the breach were they targeted everyone

After the breach?? breaches are happening all the time. I used them as examples, these were actually malware on the POS systems, so not related to your case. I meant just look for anything similar in the news. BIG mistake to think of individual malware or think there is 3 or 4 big ones such as cryptolocker, zuess, etc. At any given time some new one can be there and in fact this year two separate malwares were discovered that have been roaming the interwebs for over 5 years. There is a LOT of malware and criminals out there.
Quote:
when you paid for a item on ebay and you paid with paypal it would automatic log you in for payment
once you sign out of ebay your paypal account keeps you log in
so the cookies remain active
i reported to paypal to remove the cookies and get them to expire right away rather then waiting

"It" doesn't log you in, you do.. or you set it up for auto.
I always have a different password for both ebay and paypal. It is a little less convenient, but worth it.
I also never save the password for ebay or paypal, and always click the log out button after I am done.

Though it still doesn't answer how someone got your creds, or session token or whatever they use.. they cant just get it by magic.

convenience has a price ;)