Switch to full style
General discussions, chit-chat
Post a reply

what is microjogs

January 16th, 2015, 0:04

Hi, I am not a HDD repairer and was wondering if someone could explain in plain English what microjogs are? Just a curiosity, I see it mentioned and just want to clear my head!

Re: what is microjogs

January 16th, 2015, 0:16

See http://www.google.ca/patents/US5978168

January 16th, 2015, 3:51

Holy cow.. Thanks Franc, If ever I needed more reasons to not go into HDD's.... Complex little beasts.

January 16th, 2015, 11:47

HaQue wrote:Holy cow.. Thanks Franc, If ever I needed more reasons to not go into HDD's.... Complex little beasts.

I wouldn't let that detailed patent information put you off. Microjogs are just a set of values that characterize each head of a head stack, reflecting the off-set between the read and write elements of the head. They are stored in the SA on the platters and in ROM. When you swap in heads, you just edit the microjog values in ROM to match those in the ROM of the drive from which the donor heads came, and you're done. You can also make minor adjustments to "tune" the individual heads for better throughput. There are modules in the SA that will re-compute the mircojogs for you, to optimize throughput, too.

January 16th, 2015, 16:16

microjogs is the technical term for the ludicrous looking hop skippity braking action i try to make when bear dog here sniffs a rabbit :)

microjog.jpg

January 16th, 2015, 20:16

haha, the last time my rotty had that look in its eyes cost me the friendship of a neighbour and $900 to get the small white fluffy sewn back up!
Post a reply