All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: going to need a super data center for recoveries!
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2015, 7:48 

http://theconversation.com/more-data-storage-heres-how-to-fit-1-000-terabytes-on-a-dvd-15306
I heard about this recently but apparently the research was reported on in june 2013.

amazingly simple concept, but that is one looooong image process.

Post subject: Re: going to need a super data center for recoveries!
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2015, 8:05 

You should know something here very important, which is the COST of the RESEARCH

As an example here, go back years back when they 1st. released the CD (650MB) and after longet time the DVD (4.7GB)
and the Blue-ray and so on.

there is alot of work and research been done on this matter, and the cost of the research is ALWAYS considered by the Inventors
and there is some kind of INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENT about this, needs very long time to cover the COST of the old research
plus, the new Research been running since the last release.

you may compare the time in HDD capacity for example which was long time back 20GB, and how much time did it took to get to the 120GB
for example, very long time

Once they discover something, the solution will be Limitless, but in order to SELL, they made 40GB then 60GB, then 80GB and so on
right?

its been always Biz. nothing more nothing less....

:>

FYI: i still have my Pioneer LD Player (Laser Disk) with about 200 Movies @ that time in early 90`s
and still watching them, as far as i remember the last movie i bought was the Aliens (Part2)
one of the best... specially with the proper sound effects..

and thnx again for the info... :wink:

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2015, 10:29 

yes business side a consideration for sure.
another thing is it looks fairly read-only but with that much space you could conceivably work out some sort of sector update process where the disc is kind of like an incremental backup, and the file system works on the very last changes. This would be great for retrospective analysis too for the forensics/malware investigations.

Maybe a system with a huge amount of RAM, where changes were written back at certain times like file saves.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2015, 15:50 

Cost of research is not the main aspect, to me .

Think about ICs : they are all made the same way , more or less - there are exceptions . On a single wafer you have dozens of chips, some are faulty and will be discarded later , but you make dozens of them at one time.
Final cost is research + fabrication (simple ICs require less steps / layers / special steps during fab) + ... the most important thing : THE SERVICE THAT CHIP IS GOING TO DO + collateral costs (i.e. testing, qualification for a certain use etc.).

(nostalgia mood ON)
I remember in mid 70's and early 80's ECL dividers costing a small fortune and they were able to reach 1 GHz or so (commercially availbale - military and professional series were another thing). I remember a 11C90 ECL divider that cost me , and it was a fair price, 28'500 Lire in 1983 (yes, I was 13 old and already experimenting) that was a small fortune compared to 1983 wages. Same year, GaAs FETs started being "available" on market (used in frontend / LNB amplifiers for satellite reception) ... a shot would have been less harmful :( - now you can get a COMPLETE decent LNB for 15/20 EUR that use bipolar SHF transistors or even small GaAs FETs .... grunt !!!!
In 1983 you paid mostly the SERVICE that such components made and there were few, now satellite / SHF reception is common everywhere (think about GPSs) so market demand , volume and how much people would pay for that service made the price.

( nostalgia mood OFF)

10 or more TB drives and similar storage systems are most probably ready, but they wait for proper timing, market demand and so on to launch...

Why 2 TB drives cost so little and TB-sized STREAMERS (tape !) cost so much ? Service and market demand.

AND anyway the physical limit is almost reached in many applications. If not, is just a matter of cost / market demand / answer to the question : is there a market for it ?

PostPosted: March 9th, 2015, 21:19 

einstein9 wrote:
You should know something here very important, which is the COST of the RESEARCH

As an example here, go back years back when they 1st. released the CD (650MB) and after longet time the DVD (4.7GB)
and the Blue-ray and so on.

there is alot of work and research been done on this matter, and the cost of the research is ALWAYS considered by the Inventors
and there is some kind of INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENT about this, needs very long time to cover the COST of the old research
plus, the new Research been running since the last release.

you may compare the time in HDD capacity for example which was long time back 20GB, and how much time did it took to get to the 120GB
for example, very long time

Once they discover something, the solution will be Limitless, but in order to SELL, they made 40GB then 60GB, then 80GB and so on
right?

its been always Biz. nothing more nothing less....

:>

FYI: i still have my Pioneer LD Player (Laser Disk) with about 200 Movies @ that time in early 90`s
and still watching them, as far as i remember the last movie i bought was the Aliens (Part2)
one of the best... specially with the proper sound effects..

and thnx again for the info... :wink:

Not to mention that not everyone would be able to have access to bleeding-edge tech, so they have to water it down for the masses. This is where complaints and rants by PC gamers about AAA titles being neutered to run on antiquated seventh-generation consoles comes to play.