Switch to full style
General discussions, chit-chat
Post a reply

Should HDD Companies Get Closer To their Advertised Capacities?

Poll ended at June 11th, 2015, 5:19

Yes On All HDDs
25%
Yes, But Only if they are large capacity
13%
No, Leave the advertising as it has always been
25%
No, Its not a big deal
38%

Total votes : 8

Re: Deceptive or Not?

April 19th, 2015, 20:24

fzabkar wrote:but the 1.44MB floppy diskette is one case where the advertised capacity is incorrect

do you still use it ? :lol:

April 19th, 2015, 20:38

jermy wrote:
fzabkar wrote:but the 1.44MB floppy diskette is one case where the advertised capacity is incorrect

do you still use it ? :lol:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of floppies.

April 19th, 2015, 21:32

I have used floppies twice this year, once for my own project of an old PC and once for a business that had to re-install a POS system. Yes "POS" stands for both meanings this time!

April 20th, 2015, 23:11

I Understand all the technical information.. I was building and tampering with electronics since the age of 14.. and eventually started basic programming at the age of 15 back in the 70s..

It doesn't make you very smart to down play my replies as someone who doesn't understand any technical measurement of manufactures with the 10 finger kid play, It is a simple question and I wont repeat it again.

However, I will repeat over and over again, it's not a good feeling to lose almost 1TB of capacity when I expected closer to what was advertised. The technical information in defense of the manufactures is understandable but doesn't help much when the advertised labels of capacities appear to be getting farther away from what's actually usable on the average user's pc. 1+1=2 , If you check properties on any given HD on your pc it will give a drive's capacity; Used, Available, and drive size in bytes and simplified in GBs or MBs even TBs .. This is what Users see and rely on not the complex math of Hex and all the other tech stuff.

So you got it, I dam sure would have liked my pc to show the 8TB HDD capacity of at least 7.7Tbs of available capacity not the 7.2. Hell, to get to the point of my thread, I would prefer it to read 8TBs of available space. :D

April 21st, 2015, 0:25

hotwire,
Can still deal with arithmetic?
And do not shout that you are deceived.

8TB HDD = 8001563222016 byte
8001563222016/1024/1024/1024/1024 = 7,24 TiB

But the developers operating systems, write: 7,24 TB

May 1st, 2015, 0:33

Tomset wrote:hotwire,
Can still deal with arithmetic?
And do not shout that you are deceived.

8TB HDD = 8001563222016 byte
8001563222016/1024/1024/1024/1024 = 7,24 TiB

But the developers operating systems, write: 7,24 TB

Ok.. There has been obvious lawsuits filed and manufactures settled because of the confusion and misleading way capacities were labeled. Found this information after doing a bit more research on Wikipedia. Not sure if I can show the link but there is in-depth info regarding this topic. It appears after so much memory it was somewhat agreed to use the SI Prefixes due to the various units used to represent, primarily hard drive and flash drive, capacities.

So I will rest on this issue, however, if you read the in-depth information it would be better to label drives with the IEC prefix IMO.

Thanks for the input to All. 8)

Here is the link I read up on if the moderator will allow it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
Post a reply