All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help for building up knowledge in physical Data Reovery
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2015, 10:53 

Hello everyone,
now problem for me to recover data from perfect working Hard Drives. But my small company http://www.riedelit.de for Data Recovery always delegates the physical problems. Now we want to built up knowledge or good partnerships that we can solve the mechanical problems inhouse.

Maybe I need personal counseling from an expert?
I thought about offering my customers cheap experimentational data recovery when they can't afford the high prices so that I can gain experience. Every surgeon has to start.

Sure I can read every post and trial and error myself... Maybe the best way is to find and expert who is wiling to help me. Or maybe you have another hint for me... maybe there is a good source where I can start gaining the proper knowledge.
Best regards
Benjamin / Germany / Stuttgart

Post subject: Re: Need help for building up knowledge in physical Data Reo
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 9:59 

BenDataRecovery wrote:
I thought about offering my customers cheap experimentational data recovery when they can't afford the high prices so that I can gain experience. Every surgeon has to start.

Attachments:
56130931.jpg
56130931.jpg [ 58.13 KiB | Viewed 5336 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need help for building up knowledge in physical Data Reo
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 10:25 

Before offering your in-house physical recovery services to your customers, obtain a pile of defective hard drives and practice on them. By defective, I mean drives that just have bad sectors, not drives that probably have bad heads (click and shut down). View the videos by Scott Moulton, available here. Before swapping heads on your practice drive, scan it with HDDScan's Read-Verify routine and save the scan results using screen-capture software. Remove and re-install the same heads and after the swap, scan the drive again and compare results to see if things have changed. Repeat with a variety of drive brands and families until you are confident you can swap heads without causing damage, then invest in some donor drives compatible with some of your drives that click and shut down. When you can swap heads and recover the data without doing more harm than good, then you could consider offering your services to customers.

Before doing the above, you will have to build or buy a laminar flow bench to create a cleanroom environment in which to work on opened drives, plus sets of head combs to keep the heads from contacting each other when removed. It takes a significant investment in equipment, tools, training and time to be able to offer this service, but it's immensely gratifying. Good luck!