All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are the large DR-Services lying about the HDD damage?
PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 10:11 

Hey Guys!

I’m kind a sick of the lies, the mayor DR-Services are telling their customers to charge more money or how they handle DR-Cases where the customer just want to get his drive back.

Currently I have an external drive. The only problem with this drive was, that it was formatted accidently. The customer sent the drive to a mayor German DR-Service and got a quotation about 1k€ for DR. They told the customer, that there are a lot of bad blocks and that the disk is spinning down after a while. They wrote many buzzwords, what they had to do with the drive. The customer denied their service. Now I have the drive.

First of all, they just threw the screws of the external housing into the case, so they were under the PCB. If any one tried to power on the drive, he would risk to short the PCB.

Second is, that there was not a single bad block and the drive also isn’t spinning down or doing something else.

Currently I kind of sick of the lies, the mayor DR-Services are telling the people. But on the other hand, they have the trust of the people. And instead of asking a small DR-Service they are calling the mayor ones.

Post subject: Re: Why are the large DR-Services lying about the HDD damage
PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 10:20 

Yep, I've seen no shortage of "big box" blunders myself. I've also seen that they often quote very vague explanations of the problem which make no sense. Plus on the rare occasion where they do underquote (usually they overquote) and it turns out to be harder than they expected, they just call it unrecoverable. In the last two months, I've had two cases come in from the big name companies where they were deemed "unrecoverable" and both were full recoveries. Not easy cases, granted, but recoverable with enough effort.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 17:42 

Hi D_R ;)

I know these "mayor DR-Services" too and most of the time I like to have a second look on cases from them because often they are overquoted and you see how bad these guys work (fingerprints, missing parts, wrong diagnosis). We had one case where the DR-service claimed to be one of the biggest DR-Services in europe with labs all over europe. The customers drive was send to china :evil: and thats how it looked when we checked it, lint particles all over. They said it was unrecoverable, we recovered it anyway.

You can't do much against these bad services but provide the best service to your customers. At least you feel good when you recovered a case for a much better price that they were not able to solve :wink:

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 18:43 

Yeah, it is just frustrating when you see that some big name company had quoted $2,000 (which the customer approved) and then deem it unrecoverable. Yet the guys like us who actually pull it off are only charging $600-800 despite being better than they are. Grrrrr!!!!

Maybe I just need to double my prices so I can be a big name company too. :roll:

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 19:11 

Well, I really hate the current situation. On one hand we have the big name companies, that are ripping off people. On the other hand we have small IT- or Repair Center, where the owner is testing the drive with an USB to SATA Cable and if the drive is not recognized by windows, he is trying to loose or tighten the head screw(s) or replace the heads on his kitchen table. Where the only fault with the drive is a damaged module.

About 90% of my DR-Customers came from recommendation. But every time I tried to advertise on some boards, or a local business board, or a board of my neighbors, every time I get messages like “If my drive dies and I really need the data, I would go to the large DR companies. Because there they know, what they do”.

And of course there are people who think, that we are just ripping off people, but they doesn’t want to hear, what a license of PC3k costs or the course. Or the clean room, tools, e.g.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 20:22 

D_R wrote:
Well, I really hate the current situation. On one hand we have the big name companies, that are ripping off people. On the other hand we have small IT- or Repair Center, where the owner is testing the drive with an USB to SATA Cable and if the drive is not recognized by windows, he is trying to loose or tighten the head screw(s) or replace the heads on his kitchen table. Where the only fault with the drive is a damaged module.

About 90% of my DR-Customers came from recommendation. But every time I tried to advertise on some boards, or a local business board, or a board of my neighbors, every time I get messages like “If my drive dies and I really need the data, I would go to the large DR companies. Because there they know, what they do”.

And of course there are people who think, that we are just ripping off people, but they doesn’t want to hear, what a license of PC3k costs or the course. Or the clean room, tools, e.g.

Couldn't agree more. I personally would love to see a sort of data recovery lab accreditation/certification which could be used to sort out the hacks from the real professionals, while helping people to see that there are other less known companies around who are doing quality data recovery work. There would have to be certain equipment requirements, and perhaps employee testing to confirm that at least one member of the staff is knowledgeable enough to be considered a true professional. And perhaps a code of conduct which the company owner would have to swear to follow.

That way decent smaller labs could get the recognition they rightly deserve, and perhaps take a larger share of the data recovery pie.