Switch to full style
General discussions, chit-chat
Post a reply

Other Media Recovery

December 15th, 2016, 13:24

Hey Guys,

I think that most of "us" is recovering HDDs/SSD and some Flash Media like USB Sticks, SD- or CF-Cards. I was wondering, if you (still) have equipment to read / recover Floppy- / ZIP- / JAZ- Diskettes, CD / DVD / BD Disks, LTO / DAT Bands or other media, that was used some years ago.

Why I'm asking? On my table, currently I have a box with punch cards for DR.

Re: Other Media Recovery

December 15th, 2016, 13:34

The oldest media I'll touch is 3.5" floppies, optical media, and zip drives. I don't really get into the tape backup stuff, or the really old stuff. It's near impossible these days to find a working computer old enough to interface with them.

Good luck finding something to read those punch cards. You'd probably have to do it manually by eye these days.

December 15th, 2016, 14:04

D_R wrote:Hey Guys,

I think that most of "us" is recovering HDDs/SSD and some Flash Media like USB Sticks, SD- or CF-Cards. I was wondering, if you (still) have equipment to read / recover Floppy- / ZIP- / JAZ- Diskettes, CD / DVD / BD Disks, LTO / DAT Bands or other media, that was used some years ago.

Why I'm asking? On my table, currently I have a box with punch cards for DR.

I think I still have a Remex paper tape reader in the garage. I also have a Cipher 900X reel-to-reel MTU.

December 15th, 2016, 15:43

data-medics wrote:Good luck finding something to read those punch cards. You'd probably have to do it manually by eye these days.

Actually it was quite simple. I use a chroma key background and a good light setting to read the cards optically. I wrote a simple OpenCV program, that is looking for the green dots on an image taken by a webcam. Works very well. The only problem is that someone has to flip the cards.

But this is one of the moments, I wish I had a 6-axis robot arm. It could automate the job at all. But on the other hand I have another machine with two hands and five fingers on each hand called my apprentice. :mrgreen:
Post a reply