All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BGA "glue" removal
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 6:18 

What's your take / tip on the removal process for BGA-chips that are glued down?

More often than seldom we receive cell phones that's got a seemingly impossible-to-remove-glue around and beneath the BGA-chip (sometimes around other chips as well, like TSOP, but BGA seems to be more popular), and at this time we've had to pass around 25% of the work due to the glue.

The technique I've used myself this far is a pretty good chemical solution found on Ebay/AliExpress, and a hardened steel hook to carefully scratch away the glue, but this chemical doesn't seem to work with all kinds of glues.

I'm open to learn new techniques.

Post subject: Re: BGA "glue" removal
PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 12:09 

bos wrote:
What's your take / tip on the removal process for BGA-chips that are glued down?

More often than seldom we receive cell phones that's got a seemingly impossible-to-remove-glue around and beneath the BGA-chip (sometimes around other chips as well, like TSOP, but BGA seems to be more popular), and at this time we've had to pass around 25% of the work due to the glue.

The technique I've used myself this far is a pretty good chemical solution found on Ebay/AliExpress, and a hardened steel hook to carefully scratch away the glue, but this chemical doesn't seem to work with all kinds of glues.

I'm open to learn new techniques.

There are different types of underfill but the ones I've come across tend to soften up quite a bit when exposed to hot air of ~200C. Then you pick at it with special tools such as https://www.unionrepair.com/qianli-ic-chip-edge-rubber-bend-removal-blade-2-in-1.html or https://www.unionrepair.com/qianli-ic-chip-removal-blade-16-in-1.html.