All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The donor challenge for small DR shops
PostPosted: December 24th, 2018, 3:24 

LarrySabo wrote:
helpdisc wrote:
so you assume you can always order right donor over ebay?
In many cases you can not know untill you try.

No, I never assumed (nor said) that. That just happens to be where I get any drives I can't get locally or don't have in my inventory. And I know that many cross-family heads will still work but trial and error can get expensive, especially if I damage some heads in the attempt.

This is the problem, you do not need to make money on every job. People often go step further. They do not want to loose money on any job.
Ball is not at client, he does not participate if you make good money, you guys are not partners. So why he should participate if you loose money?
It is a school, and you must pay it. On some jobs you get easy money, it compensate for school you need to pay for complicated ones.
At the end, client does not need to know this. This is what makes you better as a person and as a data recovery engineer.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2019, 19:16 

einstein9 wrote:
- Min = 100$ (never less)
- Non-working-client-drives are retained unless they pay extra
- This helps accumulate stock of good (free) donors...
- 'no profit' is okay ...
- customers are winey b***ches no matter what miracle you do.

Makes sense, however, I'd reword it slightly. I'd say:

Full price is $600, but most people choose the 'discount rate' of $500 which requires they leave the patient-drive.

Indicating you 'charge for what's already theirs' rubs people wrong.

Same idea -- different wording to avoid conflict.

You could also clarify that their drive is no longer 'homogeneously' their drive ... as it subsequently has received modules (from PC-3000, etc), possibly a replacement PCB, SMT rework, and in the prev. referenced situation ... replacement head stack assembly.

The justification to charging people irrespective of your success is that, they KNOW what they've done to the drive. The dropped it from 20 feet ... and maybe it should already have been thrown in the trash; but if they can waste your time for free - they're altogether happy to do so.

The non-refundable portion is where they indicate whether THEY believe in the utility of ANYONE trying to recover their data.

And if they don't ... chances are, you shouldn't either.

A similar thing is that -- magazines/newspapers make their money off advertisers, not really the readers...

But, a readership which pays to read the paper is more likely to read the paper, making the total circulation more valuable than a free paper which reports the quantity they throw in the free newspaper machines on the sidewalks ... in which their paper is used to clean windows, pack boxes, find hookers (LA weekly) ... promote stupid propaganda, etc.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2019, 19:21 

einstein9 wrote:

start SHARING what you have with others...

...before we outsourced HDs that needed HSA till we got enough Donors

Now we share our stock with trusted friends & check our Shared Donor-DB

...most of the time we have it
If not I order & Pray it matches, but then get to add another to the Donor-DB

:>

I edited for you. :)

But I love that idea; I'm going to start looking for local cohorts to collaborate with. Thanks!

PostPosted: September 27th, 2019, 19:26 

data-medics wrote:
LarrySabo wrote:
⁕ * If a donor drive is required for parts and we use one of our own, a charge of $50 applies

I think you should be billing full replacement cost for the donor even if it's one you have in-house. And, even if it's an in-house drive, that should still be billed upfront non-refundable since the drive will be ruined afterward (in all likelihood) and can't be sold later on. If I have a drive sitting here that will work, but it's going to cost me $200 to replace it because it's rare, then I'm billing the customer $200 for the drive. Otherwise, I'd be better off just selling the drive to another lab that needs it later on. The money I make on donors is what pays for my time spent wiping, testing and keeping inventory on thousands of drives.

I think you're giving away too much.

Beyond-obviously ... agreed!!

Why would you charge less because ... through having PREEMPTIVELY purchased and retained inventory sufficient to allow you to search through it ... which expedites the repair for the client -- you ... therefore ... do it for LESS!?

That's almost communistic. Why?

It's MORE valuable if you had it on hand such that they didn't have to wait a split second.

And as he said, I wouldn't even TRY IT until they'd already agreed it were non-refundable, rain or shine.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2019, 19:34 

Spildit wrote:
On case of Heads if you do already have the head stack in stock and if you don't damage that head stack on the specific work and if you can re-use it you can charge just a symbolic "fee" for the use of that part that you do already have.

You can do something like swapping back heads and return the drive in original condition and keep the good heads for your next job, that way the next client will be lucky and will have a cheaper recovery.

I think you still get to charge for the heads; the heads aren't the only factor. You have to actually move them without damaging them, right?

If you break an HSA, you pay for it? Or your customer pays for YOUR mistakes?

Is your customer your investor? Such that they should 'win' when you win?

Do restaurants give tips and refunds to customers who don't eat much at the all-you-can-eat buffet?

You just charge them. They don't CARE about 'keeping' the HSA ... they're just paying for the exact part and it's temporary use to make their data accessible.

If you can recycle using it again -- you should be rewarded for safely retaining it - logging it's specs to be able to find it on command ... not offering the customer a commission each time you use that HSA again in the future. :)

Otherwise, why not give them a commission each time you reuse knowledge you accrued under the auspice of their payment when you succeed? You know?

:)