All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate expansion USB desktop 3TB Unknown device, not initi
PostPosted: February 17th, 2018, 19:03 

Hi, this drive was working fine. I shutdown my laptop and on the next day when I plugged it again, windows 7-64 did not show it. Device manager shows it as unknown device, not initialized. When trying to initialize it, an error pops up saying it could not do it because a specific file was not found. Then I used victoria and it reports as a drive with wrong geometry. Diskpart does not run any task to this drive because the same error as windows 7. Then I tried several recovery software and none of them sees this drive. There is no strange sound or clicks and it is spinning. I swapped it to another Seagate enclosure and nothing happened. What else could be done to bring it back? I really don't know. If anybody could help me out on this, thanks a lot.

Attachments:
Screen Disk Editor.jpg
Screen Disk Editor.jpg [ 135.67 KiB | Viewed 20143 times ]
Screen Diskpart.jpg
Screen Diskpart.jpg [ 108.44 KiB | Viewed 20143 times ]
Screen Device Manager.jpg
Screen Device Manager.jpg [ 100.78 KiB | Viewed 20143 times ]
Screen Victoria.jpg
Screen Victoria.jpg [ 287.56 KiB | Viewed 20143 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seagate expansion USB desktop 3TB Unknown device, not in
PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 14:32 

Spildit wrote:
Do you need the data inside the drive or you just need to "fix" the drive ?

What is the exact model fo the drive inside the enclosure ? Do not open the drive itself.

Did you try to connect the drive dirctly to a SATA port of a desktop ? Dies the BIOS pick up the drive that way ?

Also you shouldn't be using Victoria with USB connected drives and API mode. To properly use Victoria you have to let it install it's direct I/O driver (most likely you will have problems installing it on 64 bit OS) and use PIO mode.

If data is important to you you should consider the use of a professional data recovery firm.

If you don't care for the data just buy another drive and if possible don't buy Seagate.

Ok, answering your questions here I go:

1) Yes, I need the data and Fixing it.
2) Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 - SN:Z1F2T04J - FW: CC45 - DATE: 13373
3) Yes I connected it directly to my desktop. Although my desktop motherboard has a BIOS of 2008, it could see the drive but with wrong capacity. Pls see attached pictures.
4) Considering the use of a professional data recovery firm is out of question. I cannot afford one. That's a backup drive and what I can figure out about it is that the MBR, Vol and FTable are screwed, that's my opinion. I'm not an expert on HDD engineering but it seems the drive ID has been fucked up.
5) Yes, I myself gave up on Seagate HDD a long time ago. This is a friend's drive unit I was using to do some backups and now I need to recover it, if that's possible. I may be wrong, but I think it can be fixed.
Tks.

Attachments:
20180218_135548.jpg
20180218_135548.jpg [ 949.96 KiB | Viewed 20077 times ]
20180218_135514.jpg
20180218_135514.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 20077 times ]

PostPosted: February 19th, 2018, 15:25 

Spildit wrote:
Do you need the data inside the drive or you just need to "fix" the drive ?

What is the exact model fo the drive inside the enclosure ? Do not open the drive itself.

Did you try to connect the drive dirctly to a SATA port of a desktop ? Dies the BIOS pick up the drive that way ?

Also you shouldn't be using Victoria with USB connected drives and API mode. To properly use Victoria you have to let it install it's direct I/O driver (most likely you will have problems installing it on 64 bit OS) and use PIO mode.

If data is important to you you should consider the use of a professional data recovery firm.

If you don't care for the data just buy another drive and if possible don't buy Seagate.

Answering your questions, here I go:

1) Yes, I need data and fixing it.
2) It's a Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001-1E6166 - FW: CC45
3) Yes I did. Although my desktop motherboard BIOS is of 2008, it could see it but with wrong capacity.
4) Victoria usage mode noted. Tks.
5) Considering the use of a professional data recovery is out of question. I can't afford paying one.
6) I myself have given up on Seagate HDD for a long time. This drive is a friedn's drive that I was using to do some backups and now I have to give it back to him.

Well, I am not an expert on HDD engineering, but I think it could be fixed. What I can figure out is that it maybe has lost its MBR/GPT table/Vol and probably its SMART table. flashing its firmware could solve this problem but I would lose data, is that possible?
Tks.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 7:49 

igirao wrote:
1) Yes, I need data and fixing it.

need the data is 1 thing but fixing it for reuse its another
forget about it

igirao wrote:
3) Yes I did. Although my desktop motherboard BIOS is of 2008, it could see it but with wrong capacity.

whats the capacity you get ?

igirao wrote:
What I can figure out is that it maybe has lost its MBR/GPT table/Vol and probably its SMART table.

judging by the make and model I doubt that
igirao wrote:
flashing its firmware could solve this problem

most likely not

So since you say PRO DR is out of the question
you need to know first, that this drive has most likely heads problem and or media damage

but if you insist, upload the terminal log here

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 1:45 

The bios is too old for this hdd....That's why is seen as 800gb capacity.
You need a better/newer motherboard to support it.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 11:46 

I know it doesn't help you, but I'm really curious why you tried to write zeros to the hard drive?

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 17:37 

I suppose the data is not that important to him

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2018, 16:56 

@igirao :
Did you try to connect it on a Linux system, and clone it or image it with ddrescue or HDDSuperClone ? You'll need another drive with at least a 3TB capacity. But it should be recognized first, it should appear with the correct capacity when you type "lsblk" in the terminal (be sure to note which is which, or you'll end up screaming like a witch !). If you can manage to copy everything, or almost everything to a healthy drive (it could be very slow but if you're lucky and the issue is only surface damage / bad sectors and you did not stress it too much by doing all that stuff you should manage to get a good portion), then you can analyze the output with reputed recovery softwares and less stress.

Some Seagate enclosures (I've got one like that) have a special kind of formatting at the controler level which translates regular 512 bytes sectors into 4KB sectors, providing compatibility for drives of higher than 2TB capacity with older systems, but making the content inaccessible without the native enclosure ; if the interface somehow got corrupted it may explain the situation (not sure at all, but that's something to consider). If you do manage to make a clone / image, and still can't access the content, maybe someone could help you fix this by analyzing the first few MB, containing the partition table and whatnot.

But if you can neither read nor write anything all that is probably moot...

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 14:13 

The motherboard is too old. I suppose if the drive is connected to a SATA port of a reasonably current motherboard, it would be readily readable; unless there is a 4K/512 sector issue, and/or part of the data is overwritten already.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 14:24 

Also I understand the drive came from an enclosure?
So before you do anything drastic check the drive was not encrypted.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 17:06 

Blizzard wrote:
I know it doesn't help you, but I'm really curious why you tried to write zeros to the hard drive?

I did not try to write zeros to the hard drive. I just run diskpart to see if it could be of any help. That's what it shows.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 17:10 

rogfanther wrote:
I suppose the data is not that important to him

It surely is.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 17:18 

then why did you use the clean command in diskpart ? If it had worked then all the data would have been destroyed

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 18:21 

By the way, is it all the data or just the partition tables (or boot sectors if there are no partition tables)?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 18:33 

rogfanther wrote:
then why did you use the clean command in diskpart ? If it had worked then all the data would have been destroyed
Just to be clear, Diskpart Clean removes partition or volume formatting. For MBR drives it also removes hidden sector info and for GPT it overwrites the protective MBR. The device would then be ready to initialize. The parameter ALL writes zeros to the entire device.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 18:35 

Clean would probably delete boot sector and partition table. That would already be a bad move for him.

Clean all, from the help of diskpart, should write zeros to all of the drive. Absolutely bad move for him. :shock:

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 18:37 

rogfanther wrote:
Clean would probably delete boot sector and partition table. That would already be a bad move for him.

Clean all, from the help of diskpart, should write zeros to all of the drive. Absolutely bad move for him. :shock:
Yes, very bad! I am hoping he can clarify why that was attempted. Maybe some bad info on a forum needs to be corrected. But I guess we can't really fix the Internet :)

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 18:42 

abolibibelot wrote:
@igirao :
Did you try to connect it on a Linux system, and clone it or image it with ddrescue or HDDSuperClone ?

Yes, I did it. I used Kali linux and disk utility but it did not see the drive. Then I shutdown Kali and got this: pls see the picture.

Attachments:
20180224_180646.jpg
20180224_180646.jpg [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 19749 times ]

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 18:55 

Blizzard wrote:
rogfanther wrote:

Yes, very bad! I am hoping he can clarify why that was attempted. Maybe some bad info on a forum needs to be corrected. But I guess we can't really fix the Internet :)

I am pretty sure about that cmd. I was giving up the data. But as it didn't work, then working on recovering it again. Damn it! If it's not something mechanical issue as platters or heads or even controller board, it can be fixed. What if the zero track is bad? Then a dead hard drive?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 19:14 

Not even Seagate File Recovery Suite program could see that drive.

Attachments:
Seagate File Recovery.jpg
Seagate File Recovery.jpg [ 69.61 KiB | Viewed 16940 times ]