All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seagate expansion USB desktop 3TB Unknown device, not in
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 16:53 

So, here's the situation for a Seagate 4TB drive. The TTL worked with this drive. My desktop motherboard has indeed limitations with large drives capacity. See the images. Well, I think that the 3TB drive has its controller board issues, heads problems or corrupted rom.
And now, the end is near and so my friends I will end up with a paper weight drive.

Attachments:
Disk Manager WIn 7.jpg
Disk Manager WIn 7.jpg [ 936.17 KiB | Viewed 11327 times ]
Desktop BIOS 4TB drive.jpg
Desktop BIOS 4TB drive.jpg [ 978.46 KiB | Viewed 11327 times ]
TTL 4TB Drive.jpg
TTL 4TB Drive.jpg [ 770.94 KiB | Viewed 11327 times ]

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 18:33 

igirao wrote:
So, here's the situation for a Seagate 4TB drive. The TTL worked with this drive. My desktop motherboard has indeed limitations with large drives capacity. See the images.

From the images the BIOS is unable to show the correct size, but the OS shows that it can see the correct drive size. That supports my previous post that as long as you are not trying to boot from from the drive, it does not matter if the BIOS on the motherboard can correctly identify the size. That does not help your situation with the failed drive, but I am just trying to make clear that the BIOS and motherboard have nothing to do with the issue. Some like to think that if the BIOS doesn't show the correct size, then the OS can't either, and that is most definitely not true.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 22:43 

@maximus wrote:

Quote:
but I am just trying to make clear that the BIOS and motherboard have nothing to do with the issue.

Just to clarify things: 1) the test that I did with the TTL was not through my desktop but my laptop Sony Vaio (windows 7 64b). 2) the image from my desktop was just to show that the bios has a limitation indeed and 3) the image of the disk manager showing the 4TB disk capacity was taken from my laptop and not desktop. Now, I am not sure whether or not the OS of my desktop will show the correct capacity - and here windows XP has also limitations - the thing is that I did not run any test on my desktop yet to see if BIOS and motherboard has any relations regarding drive capacity. By the way, my desktop has dual boot - Windows 7 and XP. And my laptop has triple boot - Windows 7, 10 and Android.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 8:00 

Rapaz,
Mixing too much configurations makes things harder.

Try to make tests with the desktop booted to win7 ( you have service pack 1 installed, yes ? ) .

As win7 doesn´t have a terminal client, you can install putty in it. That picture of the 4TB disk in disk manager was with it connected through usb, I suppose ? Connect it to the desktop sata port, and lets see how disk manager ( from windows 7 ) shows it.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2018, 14:26 

Hi guys! Just gave up on that 3TB seagate. It has head problem. So, thank you all for assistance.