All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HDDSuperClone - A new Linux hard drive cloning/imaging t
PostPosted: October 5th, 2019, 20:50 

There has been no reply from the developer on this or other forums in the last week. I think that is what will hamper the marketing of this excellent software. All it really needs is a YouTube channel and prompt responses to questions, particularly for people who are using the paid version. It's no using building a better mouse trap and expecting people to come hammering on your door.
You've done the hard work developing this product, it's now time to spend a bit of time selling it.
I've paid for the 60 day licence and think it's a great bit of kit but I won't pay for a permanent licence if there is no support for it..

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 8:30 

I am sorry, I did intend to reply to your review, but got busy with other things and it slipped away. But to be fair, you didn't really ask a question or say anything that I felt I had to reply to. I felt your review was fair, and I did not disagree with anything.

As for support, see "got busy with other things" above. Some of those other things were other people with real issues that I had to deal with, where I was in daily email contact, plus spending time working on their issues. I am actually still working on an activation issue, which has now lead me to pay for a new website host, and I am trying to figure out from scratch how to use the available tools to construct at least the part of the website I need for the activation. Everything takes time, and I have to prioritize my time. Maybe someday I will actually be able to find time to write some good how to instructions, maybe even a few videos.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 9:56 

Fair enough. It's is such a good product it would be a shame to not get it out there, either as you say, with more instructions, or even better with a YouTube channel.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 23:21 

Hey maximus, long time fan, first time poster.

Ever think about getting an unpaid intern to maintain the source and implement features so you don't suffer periodic development burnout?

If so, consider this my application, I'm new to data recovery but well versed in linux, C, passable in GTK and ncurses (possible text mode only implementation?) I can send you some small C projects I've written so you can judge my skill with the SG_IO ioctl, gtk, NTFS parsing, etc. I've even build up a nice-to-have feature list that further obsoletes ddrescue and goes where no hardware imager has gone before:

Floppy disk, cdrom, scsi_generic, and raw support: you can quickly change the "ls /dev | grep sd" in your source to "find /dev -name 'sd[a-z]' -or -name 'fd[0-9]' -or -name 'sg[0-9]' -or -name 'sr[0-9]' -or -name 'raw[0-9]' " to get the drives to list in drive selection. Then take it a step further, floppy drives operate on IO ports 3F2, 3F4, 3F5 - floppy disk direct mode is an option and no utility that I know of besides the DOS-based NFORMAT! actually writes to the stepping speed register of the floppy drive, so lots of unique things to explore there and floppy disk rescue is still an important area of data preservation. Secondly, most CDROM drives with CD-ROMs loaded can be put into red book mode where the drive reads the full 2,352 byte sector as audio instead of data mode "12 byte sync, 3 byte address, mode byte, 2,048 byte data, 4 byte checksum, 8 byte zero, 276 byte ECC" which allows you to perform the ECC after averaging several passes of red book reads (like you did in ddrutility with read long). Lastly, since hddsuperclone reads the capacity off the drive directly (unlike ddrescue) you can utilize a dev/raw/raw* device without trying to image MAX_UINT64 bytes like ddrescue.

Also as a nice-to-have, for standard cloning through a block device (/dev/sd*) a way to configure /sys/block/<target>/device/{io_timeout, eh_timeout, timeout, queue_depth} and maybe the 'unbind' option to remove the sd driver from the equation (access over /dev/sg*)

While new ideas are coming to mind, hddsuperclone sometimes has issues allocating memory physically in the correct < 4GB address, but since your already doing so much over "/dev/mem" and already requiring editing kernel boot parameters for direct, you *could* reserve physical memory directly as well with the kernel option memmap=SIZE$ADDRESS and have ram at that address that the kernel wont touch, but you can over /dev/mem.

Anyway I'm rambling so I'll stop here :D

PostPosted: October 9th, 2019, 18:35 

You seem very ambitious, and that is good for you. You also seem to have done a bit of reverse engineering on hddsuperlcone, which indicates you have some potential. I think you should focus more on trying to make your own software. I started by trying to patch ddrescue to make it work like I wanted, but it was not the direction the author wanted to go. So I eventually made my own program, which I would like to add is MUCH more complicated in many ways. The same applies here, your ambition is good, but it does not match the direction of hddsuperclone. The only way you will be happy with your ideas is to do them yourself. It is not as easy as you think, but if you are smart and ambitious, you can do anything. That is how I got where I am.

So there is the pep talk, now for the reality. HDDSuperClone is not meant for floppy disk or cd. There are other tools for that, and if you want to write your own that is better, then go for it. And if you think you have a better way with scsi passthrough or other block device types, then go for that too. I am more focused on the things that can’t be done the normal ways, like the direct modes. As for memory, that is all for the direct modes, and I had to perform some voodoo magic to make some things work from user space. Try to do DMA from user space and you will start to understand. Plus the driver in the paid version takes care of the 32 bit address issue, so no need for any kernel options.

As for helping, the only way I would ever provide source code is if I sold it, or just openly published it. Either way, the only way I would give out source code is if I was truly done with it, and no longer willing or able to support it. My direct modes are my secret, to which there is no roadmap that can be found online.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2019, 1:22 

Thanks Scott, I'll double down on my own tools, but I'll double bug you on allowing the user to select /dev/sg devices - it works perfectly over symlink but limits cluster size to 128. And one thing I just noticed if you start a new project, choose a source and destination, then add a ddrescue mapfile it clears your selected source and destination - not a big deal but a UX annoyance.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2019, 17:43 

linuxversion wrote:
Thanks Scott, I'll double down on my own tools, but I'll double bug you on allowing the user to select /dev/sg devices - it works perfectly over symlink but limits cluster size to 128. And one thing I just noticed if you start a new project, choose a source and destination, then add a ddrescue mapfile it clears your selected source and destination - not a big deal but a UX annoyance.

There was a point in time where I thought using /dev/sg* was good also. But I always encountered some sort of issue along the way, so I don't use it. I can't give specifics (not because I won't, but because there were multiple reasons that I don't remember or can't explain), but know that I have considered it and tried it at different times, and there are reasons I don't do it.

As for the ddrescue mapfile import, it is treated as a new project, and a new project clears the source and destination. The solution is to import the ddrescue mapfile first, before selecting source and destination. Most that are using hddsuperclone are not importing from ddrescue, so this is not normally an issue.