All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HDD Erase 3.1
PostPosted: July 20th, 2010, 11:43 

What should I do if I always run into a halt in this stage?

Attachments:
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg [ 286.37 KiB | Viewed 8483 times ]

Post subject: Re: HDD Erase 3.1
PostPosted: July 20th, 2010, 12:42 

So I tried to use my Windows disc to boot but instead this was shown

Does it mean that my drive/disc is locked? I switched off my computer before the erase can complete as the computer had idle for like 2hrs

Attachments:
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg [ 873.4 KiB | Viewed 8476 times ]

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 0:55 

This can be as simple as a video card problem or memory problem on your MB. Try resetting them and after boot from your Windows CD to see what happens on this one. This message can also occur when you have probelms in your OS. You can also try to boot the disk into safe mode and see if you can enter into safe mode. This can help to determine if it is a system OS problem or a probelm in hardware. Considering you are trying to erase your HDD means that data is not important. Check HW and then check HDD and go from there on this one.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 2:37 

am suspecting the mem. try to remove a piece if u have two and try each one alone and double check

if the same problem then i suggest the following

install the xp from another machine with this HD and when the windows copies all files and restarts to continue return the HD to this PC and continue with the setup

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 3:22 

poehere wrote:
This can be as simple as a video card problem or memory problem on your MB. Try resetting them and after boot from your Windows CD to see what happens on this one. This message can also occur when you have probelms in your OS. You can also try to boot the disk into safe mode and see if you can enter into safe mode. This can help to determine if it is a system OS problem or a probelm in hardware. Considering you are trying to erase your HDD means that data is not important. Check HW and then check HDD and go from there on this one.

There's isn't any OS left in my computer already, i suspect my ram or hdd got corrupted as I off the computer when HDD Erase hung

How do I reset memory or video card? Do it physically?

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 3:43 

meteors wrote:
poehere wrote:

There's isn't any OS left in my computer already, i suspect my ram or hdd got corrupted as I off the computer when HDD Erase hung

How do I reset memory or video card? Do it physically?

Open your box and you will see your memory sticks behind the processor. There is two small levels on each side. Press down on them carefully and remove the chip and put it back in pressing on it slightly not forcing it back in. You should hear it click when it is seated back in place correctly. On Video card if it is not intergrated in the MB then you need to unscrew this one. At back end there is a small release level. Press on this to open it up and take off the card. The level should be down so you can insert the card again locking it in place and replacing the screw on it.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 12:18 

I took out the memory card and now my computer cannot boot after i place it back :?

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 13:33 

Then try it again with only one of them. It seems that there might be a bad stick in there that is causing this problem. Try to take them both out. When they go back in you need to press on both ends of the stick so that you see the small white levels lock into place and hear them click into place. You might not have them seated well into place on this one. Try again. If not take them to your local market and see if they can test them for you and tell you which one is bad. Then replace it and put them back in. This is not that hard to do at all and if you have a problem you might have to take your tower to the local market place and have your memory changed for you. Any IT store in your area can do this one for you and all is cost is the price of the memory stick there to you.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 9:45 

Usually its a bad memory card that causes an error like this. If you have two memories you may be able to remove one at a time and isolate out the bad ram. These memory cards only go in one way and care must be taken getting them the right direction and fully pressed down- seated. Ram is so cheap these days that buying new is an option- best is to remove all old ram and buy new. Remember to unplug the computer befor starting. I also suggest 'turning it on' while unplugged to drain away the stored power- theres quite a bit!