Switch to full style
Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

Re: New version of R-Studio

March 29th, 2016, 13:30

New builds of R-Studio for Windows and Mac: further bugfixing of symlinked folder recovery.

March 31st, 2016, 5:19

Alt(R-TT) wrote:New builds of R-Studio for Windows and Mac: further bugfixing of symlinked folder recovery.

Those horrible links are still there .. :(

March 31st, 2016, 10:43

Arthur wrote:Those horrible links are still there .. :(

Can you provide us with the scan info and FS snapshot to fix the issue?

March 31st, 2016, 11:46

Alt(R-TT) wrote:

New version 7.8.161189 seems to work, but symlinks are still there :(
Can we please have a have a switch to disable all symlink and dir junctions.

I think these functions where added in 7.7.159149
+ Support for Directory Junctions and Symbolic Links.

Please disable it or make it a switch.

March 31st, 2016, 12:17

digisupport wrote:
Alt(R-TT) wrote:

New version 7.8.161189 seems to work, but symlinks are still there :(
Can we please have a have a switch to disable all symlink and dir junctions.

I think these functions where added in 7.7.159149
+ Support for Directory Junctions and Symbolic Links.

Please disable it or make it a switch.

Yeah, it does seem to be working now. But, why do we even need the symlink functionality in R-Studio? I'd be happy to see it completely removed.

April 8th, 2016, 2:21

@Alt(R-TT)

Can I expect a version of R-Studio without dir junctions and sym links to make it useable again ?
It is working, I just dont use R-Studio any more and will not renew my license if i cant disable that function.

April 9th, 2016, 9:00

digisupport wrote:@Alt(R-TT)

Can I expect a version of R-Studio without dir junctions and sym links to make it useable again ?
It is working, I just dont use R-Studio any more and will not renew my license if i cant disable that function.

Totally agree, NOBODY I know actually WANTS or NEEDS these horrible symlinks, they are just a massive hinderance.

Please, please, please just get rid of them or at least provide a way for us to switch them off ENTIRELY.

Thanks!!

April 14th, 2016, 13:17

Agreed. I now use an older version of the software to avoid them. Turn them off!

April 16th, 2016, 14:53

pcimage,

I would hazard a guess that someone, sometime, actually asked for symlinks to be added.
We were asked to do those at least couple of times that I can recall.

May 7th, 2016, 18:04

A new version of R-Studio: a new data recovery kernel that improves data recovery speed and results, symlink recovery options in the Technician version, extended attributes and journals for HFS+, Ext3/4fs, and UFS, compressed files for HFS+. Plus more improvements and bugfixes.

May 8th, 2016, 3:24

Please consider an option to disable symlink, just like it worked before they were implemented.

May 9th, 2016, 9:15

Alt(R-TT) wrote:A new version of R-Studio: a new data recovery kernel that improves data recovery speed and results, symlink recovery options in the Technician version, extended attributes and journals for HFS+, Ext3/4fs, and UFS, compressed files for HFS+. Plus more improvements and bugfixes.

First off, why are USERS, ProgramData, Documents, Desktop, Music, Pictures and Videos folder tagged as a symlink when they are not?

With version 8, which of the three options will just interpret a symlink as a shortcut file and just treat it as such? That is, the symlink for "Documents and Settings" should just copy the .lnk file as a .lnk file. Users is an actual folder, so it should copy the folder and its contents.
R-Studio-SymLink.jpg
R-Studio-SymLink.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 136419 times

May 9th, 2016, 10:48

lcoughey wrote:
Alt(R-TT) wrote:A new version of R-Studio: a new data recovery kernel that improves data recovery speed and results, symlink recovery options in the Technician version, extended attributes and journals for HFS+, Ext3/4fs, and UFS, compressed files for HFS+. Plus more improvements and bugfixes.

First off, why are USERS, ProgramData, Documents, Desktop, Music, Pictures and Videos folder tagged as a symlink when they are not?

With version 8, which of the three options will just interpret a symlink as a shortcut file and just treat it as such? That is, the symlink for "Documents and Settings" should just copy the .lnk file as a .lnk file. Users is an actual folder, so it should copy the folder and its contents.
R-Studio-SymLink.jpg

For me it does not work.
Non of the three options will just interpret a symlink as a shortcut file.
Symlinks are also still handled in Folder View, if you select a folder r-studio will still mark and select files in linked folder.

May 9th, 2016, 11:12

digisupport wrote:For me it does not work.
Non of the three options will just interpret a symlink as a shortcut file.
Symlinks are also still handled in Folder View, if you select a folder r-studio will still mark and select files in linked folder.

Yup, I think we'll continue to use UFSExplorer and am not sure I'll waste my money paying for another year of R-Studio updates...it hasn't worked since my last update.

May 9th, 2016, 11:49

@Alt(R-TT) you guys really got to fix this. You're alienating your customer base here. Some of us have been patient (and quiet), but it's really starting to make me regret buying a technician license. In the meantime, until you can figure out what your programmers messed up, can you please just post the last version of the technician and pro versions available to download somewhere. That way we can have the last working version we paid for.

May 9th, 2016, 12:38

The new version crashed when I gave it a test spin on my personal laptop that only has 60GB of data on the 120GB drive. Yes, it only has 4GB of RAM, but they (R-Studio support) tell me that I need more RAM. So, apparently version 8 needs a lot more RAM than the most recent version 7 that I updated to 8 this morning.

May 10th, 2016, 5:06

This build fixes that crash.

May 10th, 2016, 9:29

Alt(R-TT) wrote:This build fixes that crash.

Nope...tried it yesterday afternoon and had sent another error log to support before the end of day.

May 10th, 2016, 11:24

Was it 8.0 build 164486?

May 10th, 2016, 12:17

Alt(R-TT) wrote:Was it 8.0 build 164486?

Yes, the version 8 from the morning failed, I sent the log, they told me that I didn't have enough RAM, then they told me to try the new version 8 (164486), I installed it yesterday afternoon, it failed and I sent another log yesterday afternoon, as per tech support's request.
Post a reply