All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to reset Intel RAID "Error Occurred" when I can't boot?
PostPosted: October 4th, 2014, 7:19 

For the sixth time in roughly two weeks, one of the members of my two-disk RAID 0 array has reported "Error Occurred (0)" during boot-up. The BIOS page reads: "Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM - 12.7.0.1936".

The member drives are all very new WD WD5000HHTZ Velociraptors. Western Digital has now replaced several of these drives, but within a day or two every single replacement drive produces the same error.

I know from experience that IF I can boot into the OS (64-bit Windows 7 Pro SP1), this is easy to fix: All I have to do is to launch the Intel Storage Manager (or whatever it's called) application, choose the problem drive, and select "mark as normal" in the context menu. After that, I can then boot up my Acronis Disk Director CD and reliably clone all the partitions from the RAID 0 array to backup media.

Unfortunately, if I CANNOT boot into Windows (and if the Error Occurred (0) message shows up when I'm trying to boot, it will not let me boot Windows), then I'm completely stuck! I can find no other way to set the "mark as normal" status if I cannot boot!

So what I'm hoping for is that one of you folks know of some other way to perform the "mark as normal" operation. Perhaps a bootable CD with the Intel Storage Manager software on it that I can run that way? Or any other way to change that status? (I can find no way to do that from the Option ROM BIOS page).

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: How to reset Intel RAID "Error Occurred" when I can't bo
PostPosted: October 4th, 2014, 19:58 

Hi, in my modest opinion this is not the forum for your problem, but i am a newbee here.

In case of hard drives are ok you can enter to RAID setup utility at boot by pressing control+I or control+S or something similar and make a volume rebuild, i think.
Try updating intel raid drivers. A bug in old drivers caused me a similar case in a 5 HDD RAID5 a few years ago. Solved updating drivers.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2014, 5:14 

Hi, Lussi! Thank you for your reply!

Lussi wrote:
Hi, in my modest opinion this is not the forum for your problem, but i am a newbee here.

Hey, I'm a newbie, too, but allow to me explain my decision to post this in the "Software and hardware tools" subforum. You see, my thread isn't intended to solve the hardware problem of why the drives keep failing; I'm deliberately waiting to hear back from Western Digital support before I try to move forward on that issue.

Instead, with this thread I'm hoping to find a software tool of some kind that can reset the "Error Occurred(0)" flag, so posting here in the software thread seemed like the best decision. But if you have a suggestion for a different subforum to use, I'm eager to hear it. :)

Lussi wrote:
In case of hard drives are ok you can enter to RAID setup utility at boot by pressing control+I or control+S or something similar and make a volume rebuild, i think.

Unfortunately, although this is a pretty new mobo (ASUS Z87-A) with the latest UEFI BIOS, when I use Ctrl-I to enter the Intel Rapid Storage Manager ROM configuration settings, the only options available for my RAID 0 array are: (1) - Create a new RAID array; (2) - Delete an existing RAID array; and (3) - Reset all disks to non-RAID. There is NO option to rebuild the array (or to reset the "error occurred" flag).

Lussi wrote:
Try updating intel raid drivers. A bug in old drivers caused me a similar case in a 5 HDD RAID5 a few years ago. Solved updating drivers.

Right now, the Intel RAID driver is the very latest available. I updated it fairly recently, but it didn't solve any problems.

But again, thank you very kindly for your reply and your valuable suggestions!

PostPosted: October 5th, 2014, 6:23 

Banned User

may be RAID corruption best way is to get data if needed .. and re-install the RAID.. I can help skype: ontrack86